Parents of disabled children on benzos

[Vy...]

Hello. I just discovered this community.  Our 32 year old son, who lives in a residence, has been overmedicated for years.  I just did a thorough review of his medications over the last 14 years and correlated his medicines with behavioral issues.  I was mortified to realize that, from the first dose of klonopin in 2012, he went downhill.  One month after his first dose, he had so much anxiety at his day program that he stopped going.  Further increases in klonopin correlated with behavioral issues. In July of 2014, he was put on 5mg/day of ativan, which I understand is stronger than klonopin per mg.  He became so unmanageable that we had to give him up to a local hospital.  Almost 10 years later, he is still on klonopin. A relatively low dose of 1mg/day. The blinders were removed from my eyes and now I understand that he's been tortured for the last 10 plus years.  Now I have to convince the staff at his residence of the urgency of this matter. They have been overmedicating him since he was placed there in 2014.

Hello Vynderma  :hug: Welcome to benzobuddies.

I am so sorry to read what’s been happening with your son.  Benzodiazepines should only be used  short term.  Its very sad, that you have noticed the changes in behaviour, yet the hospital have not.  Many are still in denial about benzodiazepines.  Benzos are helpful for a short time,  after a while the body develops a dependency.  Withdrawal from these drugs is tough, check out the forum, do some research,  post questions for members to reply with advice and support.

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual 

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Tapering advice:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Magrita