Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Pain from stomach to teeth

[Fl...]

I'm really struggling with my stomach after being on the omeprazole for eight days. I do have a hiatal hernia and went to the er the other night due to feeling like I swallowed a dinner plate and needed to vomit it up.  1/3 of my stomach is up in my diaphragm according to cat scan. They sent me home and told me I needed a endoscopy but they don't do them in the er. So I have been on an all liquid diet since Friday and in pain twenty four seven. I'm wondering if the benzo withdrawals have messed with my hiatal hernia. My gastro doctor told me it was small a year ago. I literally can't take much more of this.

I'm so sorry you're in pain like this.  Having been through an abdominal hernia repair after years of pain before I finally got a diagnosis I have an inkling of what you're going through.  And I wasn't even in withdrawal then.  It's incredibly stressful to deal with a health crisis while in withdrawal - the fear center in our brain is on hyper-alert and this makes the stress and worry magnified. There's no way of knowing whether withdrawal made the hernia progress.  They can progress on their own.  I'm glad you're on track to have this taken care of.  You'll get through this and before long you'll feel much, much better.

Hi Flower,

I’m SO sorry you’re experiencing this – this sounds so uncomfortable and painful! You're in good company. I was 7 years old when I had my first hiatal hernia. I actually had surgery at age 7 to 'repair' the hernia. BIG MISTAKE. Wish I could go back in time and undo that. So many GI issues since.  Biggest mistake of my/my parents’ life having that surgery. I won’t get into the ‘shrapnel’ of the surgery but just encourage you to do your research. Feel free to DM me any time also.

I had an endoscopy about 7 years ago and the Dr. said my hernia slipped back – no surprise. Interestingly at that time I was having A LOT of other health issues and at that time was ALSO tapering off benzos. Fast forward to a year after the endoscopy, most of my GI issues leveled out. Until.. I got back on the benzos (three years ago) and recently started tapering (1 year ago). My GI issues have NEVER been so bad, since tapering off benzos. IN FACT, I’ve had to COMPLETELY cut out coffee, chocolate and most sweets (which has helped tremendously).

From time to time my stomach WILL begin to ascend back through my diaphragm. I know how painful and uncomfortable it is. There are exercises you can do, daily, to help relax the diaphragm and put the stomach ‘back’ where it belongs. They’re time consuming and take consistency but have worked for me. Let me know if you want a link. Although not a physician, I can relate to your symptoms and I wouldn’t be surprised if your symptoms have increased due to WD? How much longer do you have in your taper? Thinking of you. Hang in there!