Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Ran into a recovered buddy last night

[B1...]

Just thought I would share - I went out to trivia last night and ran into someone I know but had never met in person who went through a Xanax high dose cold turkey 7 years ago. He went through a terrible year long withdrawal. Insomnia, akathisia, insane anxiety, hallucinations, bottomless despair of depression, Intrusive thoughts. He was completely disabled by the process. He is completely healed now - laughing, having a few beers, enjoying time with his friends. He works ful time and lives his life completely as normal. Healing is real and I saw it with my own eyes. It gave me strength for another day, I hope it resonates with you.

Oh and he mentioned that he didn't do anything special but just let time run its course.

Hi Birdie,

Nice message. Thank you for sharing.

Do you still do the milk taper?

If yes, do you let the pill dissolve in the milk and then remove what you don't use and drink the rest? My question is how do you make sure it's well mixed with the milk? I can find lots of bits at the bottom of the glass I mix it, so I worry that most of the pill stay at the bottom and that I don't remove the exact quantity that needs to?

Hi Clinda,

Yes I still do the milk taper. I don't do a throw away method, I batch my doses up over two days. To be honest my Dad has taken over my taper and does the doses for me but he just makes sure it's well shaken before he splits them up. I've been doing it for 3 months or so. And its going well - as in I don't experience any noticeable interdose withdrawal and I've been able to successfully mictrotaper down to 0.33. Having handed the tapering method over to my Dad has reduced a lot of discomfort for me and a lot of questioning about whether I'm dosing correctly or worried about residue at the bottom of the glass.

Thank you for your answer Birdie.

Lucky you to have such a supportive dad. I am at 0.4 now. I think I will jump close to you.

I am experiencing insomnia those last days, because I have stopped using a sleeping pill.

Glad you are doing well.

Sometimes I have bad days birdie where I think this will never end. But then I’ll have many days in a row where I feel completely normal and then I remember. People do get better. Thank you for posting this. We do heal, we may never be the exactly the same again, but I believe the scars remind us of what we have gone thru and that we survived. And because we survived we are stronger ❤️‍🩹