muscle pain after exercise, seriously?

[ba...]

SO, this is new. I do see some threads in here about it.

I have always exercised, yoga, gym and biking to cope with the sxs. However, starting about a month ago, I started to experience intense muscle pain and tightness (not spasms) after exercise. Pdoc said I had bursitis in my hip, physical therapist is treating the IT band.

When I exercise last at the gym, about 2 weeks ago, my regular routine, my chest muscles were so tight the next day I had air hunger for 2 days.

So it moved to my entire body.

I scaled down, but even mild yoga causes a reaction.  Now it has become painful to do even moderate yoga, while I am doing it.

Have been told to use heat, I hate heat.

Not finding a lot of information on this. MY PT says do anything you can, but keep moving.

Anyone Else OK with exercise, and then you weren't?

Any input appreciated.

Well, I'm the sports guy on this forum. Let me give you my take.

Through this whole mess, I always trained multiple times a day. There were times, a long time ago, when I had stiff muscles. In 2008 it was so bad I lay awake almost crying in bed with so much pain in my back. It was so bad I had to get muscle relaxers.

The key thing in my opinion is keep on moving. Your body will get used to it. Your body will become stronger than the medication.

I'm 37 years old, I have 1 weight training and 2 cardio trainings a day. I'm in the shape of my life, and that's because I never quit. When the medication is all gone and I'm all healed, it's going to be even better.

So my advice would be keep on training. Listen to your body. Build up slowly. If you do weight exercises, never do the same muscles group more than 2/3 times a week. You can do weight training every day, just make sure it's another muscle group. You can do cardio twice a day. Always make sure you have 1 day where you have complete rest.

It's really better to train every day in my opinion (or at least make sure that there is no more than 3 days between the next training), because otherwise you will lose your progress. Especially in medication withdrawal, because your body is a little weaker.

Just my take. Good luck  :)

I am so grateful for your reply. Not only do you understand the experience, but you offer the solution I felt was best. If no one one else answers, you have validated and also resolved how to tackle this issue. I thank you much, I don't know if we give people the cred they deserve for being on point, and with optimism.

I also am proud of your dedication to your sports health. I am 60 years old, so I can't go at your pace. I have been very athletic all my life, with biking and yoga being my favorite activities.

This:

The key thing in my opinion is keep on moving. Your body will get used to it. Your body will become stronger than the medication.

In my non expert thinking about this today, I deduced that as  benzos are powerful muscle relaxers, I hit the point in my taper where my muscles are not getting the drug to relax them, they have to learn how to do it themselves.

So I will  help them. I will continue to do my yoga, but I have to watch out for the hip IT band, and I am in physical therapy for that. I did a beginner yoga today, and I was really bored. But I think I have to restart at the bottom, and give my muscles their learning curve. I also have a 3x a day exercise regimen from my PT.

As to the gym, my PT prefers I do cardio over weights right now. I love the elliptical, but last time I did it, , I was so sore and in so much pain, especially in my chest and had air hunger, things were so tight. My Pt said do 5 minutes cardio to start. Again, start at the beginning  to re-acclimate.

I wont bike for now, I live high in the Colorado Rockies, and it is very rigorous and rakes a lot of stamina and strength.

I will also follow your be active daily. I need that encouragement to not back out when it's hard, just scale it down.  I did stop for 5 days after the air hunger hit. Sometimes the body needs some healing when things blow. That was a two day period of a lot of breathe work and acceptance to not freak out. My chest muscles had to loosen up before I could exercise again.

Hence, starting as a beginner, exercise to work around my injury,  and building up at a test pace to see what I can tolerate. I also think exercising 3 times a day will be better for my muscles and their learning curve.

Thank you much.

Through this whole mess, I always trained multiple times a day. There were times, a long time ago, when I had stiff muscles. In 2008 it was so bad I lay awake almost crying in bed with so much pain in my back. It was so bad I had to get muscle relaxers.

I'm 37 years old, I have 1 weight training and 2 cardio trainings a day. I'm in the shape of my life, and that's because I never quit. When the medication is all gone and I'm all healed, it's going to be even better.

So my advice would be keep on training. Listen to your body. Build up slowly. If you do weight exercises, never do the same muscles group more than 2/3 times a week. You can do weight training every day, just make sure it's another muscle group. You can do cardio twice a day. Always make sure you have 1 day where you have complete rest.

It's really better to train every day in my opinion (or at least make sure that there is no more than 3 days between the next training), because otherwise you will lose your progress. Especially in medication withdrawal, because your body is a little weaker.

SnelleJelle,

Thanks for the details.  I'm in my late forties and have been a gym rat for 25 years.  This last year I was in my best shape.  In January before I took the ativan I was pushing up 275lbs which is great for me.  Then came the gates of hell brought on by ativan use and cold turkey.  I'm 3 1/2 months out and have tried to resume the gym.  If I do my normal workout I am fairly debilitated the next day (granted there was a 6 week break with no lifting during acute).  My first few workouts my muscles hurt like hell. 

I looked at my benzo belly today and then forced myself out for a 3 mile walk and a visit to the gym.  (I haven't slept in 48 hours so that was tough, but I figured it might help me sleep tonight) Was able to do 2 exercises 3 reps each before I started feeling woozy. 

I've had about 8 workouts in 3 months and am worried I won't be able to resume.  Has lifting affected you like this at all during your step down from benzos?  I guess since you tapered slowly and never stopped working out there would be no real issue.  I wonder if it was because I did a CT.  Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated. 

SnelleJelle,

Thanks for the details.  I'm in my late forties and have been a gym rat for 25 years.  This last year I was in my best shape.  In January before I took the ativan I was pushing up 275lbs which is great for me.  Then came the gates of hell brought on by ativan use and cold turkey.  I'm 3 1/2 months out and have tried to resume the gym.  If I do my normal workout I am fairly debilitated the next day (granted there was a 6 week break with no lifting during acute).  My first few workouts my muscles hurt like hell. 

I looked at my benzo belly today and then forced myself out for a 3 mile walk and a visit to the gym.  (I haven't slept in 48 hours so that was tough, but I figured it might help me sleep tonight) Was able to do 2 exercises 3 reps each before I started feeling woozy. 

I've had about 8 workouts in 3 months and am worried I won't be able to resume.  Has lifting affected you like this at all during your step down from benzos?  I guess since you tapered slowly and never stopped working out there would be no real issue.  I wonder if it was because I did a CT.  Any thoughts you can share would be appreciated.

To be honest, adding weight training to my running routine has made everything only better. At first I became a little dizzy and exhausted, but that was only because I did the same muscles every day. I didn't know how to train. Then my physiotherapist told me about supercompensation, and now I only do the same muscles twice a week. When I started doing that, everything became better and better.

I don't know if a CT affects that. This is just a thought, but maybe 8 workouts in 3 months isn't enough. I think if you don't work out regularly, whether it's cardio or weights, you lose it. In my opinion you should really work out every day during this mess, otherwise you lose it. At least that works for me  :).

Ofcourse take it a little slower and build up slowly, because this medication is poison. When I started doing all this exercise, ofcourse it wasn't the same without medication. You have a certain handicap you have to overcome. It's harder to build things up, and harder to maintain. You have to work harder for it.

I think cardio works best for withdrawal by the way. Only lifting wouldn't do it for me. Combination of the two is best!

3 good sessions today, per my goal. The morning one was the hardest, i am very tight until afternoon, so did my PT only.

Number 2 I did at my usual yoga time (5:00) I did a 30 minute yoga that was more active. I then did my PT exercises which are for strength. Was much looser and shocked at how well I did. One of them is holding a plank with the toes down, heels up to activate the core. I completed the 3 planks for a slow count of 5. I then felt so good, I started doing some strength training, and I hit the "zone." Could of gone on forever, but stopped so I would not overdo.

As soon as i stopped, the wd sxs came right back.

Number 3 will be a restorative 30 minutes up the wall yoga per my PT.

The wd has been horrible today, but I was very pleased that I fulfilled my goal, and session 2 felt great.

I am too acute to go to the gym, but look forward to when I can make it happen. I am in a nasty wave, and have to wait for it to tone tone down, the wd is horrible.

I hope this helps somebody facing this issue. If not, well, then I guess this topic is done. At least the responses were very good.

Not sure if you saw my new thread, but I'm having issues with joint pain in my hands/fingers, and feet the last couple weeks. I use the stationary bike a lot and the last few weeks I've been upping the intensity. I'm grip the handles really tight for about 40-50 mins at a time and I'm also peddling hard with more resistance.  Could that be putting strain on my joints gripping too tight and pressure on my feet?

it's achy like arthritis and some of the joints tender when touching them and opening stuff. Could this be repetitive strain injury from working out so hard everyday of the week?

Not sure if you saw my new thread, but I'm having issues with joint pain in my hands/fingers, and feet the last couple weeks. I use the stationary bike a lot and the last few weeks I've been upping the intensity. I'm grip the handles really tight for about 40-50 mins at a time and I'm also peddling hard with more resistance.  Could that be putting strain on my joints gripping too tight and pressure on my feet?

it's achy like arthritis and some of the joints tender when touching them and opening stuff. Could this be repetitive strain injury from working out so hard everyday of the week?

I don't know for sure, but benzo's can cause stiffness. In combination with gripping too tight it might very well be the case.

I had it in the elbows. I took it a bit slower, build it up, and now it's gone again.

I have had cramped hands before, more from computer overuse. But it happens anytime I am clenching more than I have been. It is essentially carpal tunnel syndrome.

Here are a few YouTubes on treating it:

(I like exercise 2 the best)

Hope that helps![/b][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the pain is now severe, and in my right calf. I already have bursitis and an IT band injury in my right leg.

Now the calf is incredibly painful. Woke up with it this morning. It moves up to my knee, but so far, doesn't stay there. My entire leg hurts, but the calf is where the most intense pain is.

Went to my physical therapist today, and she needled it. No relief.

I can do stretching exercises, go up on my toes, and feel some relief, until I stop. Walking hurts. Mild yoga feels good. But it seems to get worse once I stop exercising per instructions. I also move around every hour. Yesterday I vacuumed, I stay as active as I can. No way could I vacuum today.  The gym proved untenable. I did a full workout, and it was quite difficult on Sunday. Went back Monday, I lasted 15 minutes and was so worn out and achy I had to stop (I was doing my fav cardio, the elliptical)

I feel like I have an axe in my calf. None of the signs for scary things (I went to Dr google, got triggered), I am not swollen, the leg is not hot, no lumps, things it indicated were serious. I also don't feel like this is going to get better overnight,or tomorrow. My IT injury was like that, i finally went to my pdoc. I got a cortisol shot, it helped for 2 days, then started physical therapy.

I realize it's most likely benzos, but this is bad.

See many old threads about this, but am hoping for more input, and if this thread grows, perhaps others with pain can chime in.

I am 80% confident it is benzo wd.