Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Does EVERYBODY heal?? What is the deal with this statement from coaches, etc?

[Re...]

Why do so many people in this community say, "Everybody heals"? Coaches and other members, etc?

Is there reliable data on this statement?

Is this really true?

A narrative on these boards to make people feel better?

What are they basing this assessment on?

• Love 1

Well, coaches cannot get business if they say you won't heal. I think most do recover to a place they are functional enough for them. That doesn't mean 100% healing necessarily.

It's a common blanket statement that I hear a lot. I want to know what it is based on. I am not trying to be negative but I am skeptical, given my current severe symptoms.

I don't think it is based on anything other than most people do heal and have easy withdrawals or even tough withdrawals but are okay. That doesn't mean everyone heals. I don't believe in that either. There are many who don't and still suffer years or decades out. Hopefully not as bad as in the start but still.
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 1

It's especially hard to predict healing with akathisia because it is known as "the worst symptom." it is not sustainable in any way, shape, or form. And extremely traumatic in a way I cannot even describe. It is a whole new condition from the drugs with no cure, treatment, or predictable course. Some people have it for years, others for months. It is extraordinarily understudied and lacks a standard medical definition. Over 200 medications cause it so if you are on another med how do you know if it is harming or helping? Anyway, I have had it for months now and when people tell me everyone heals I want to punch a wall.

Hi Rebecca,

I know I’m not the best person to give advice but one of my aunts took Klonopin for 5 yrs more than 20 yrs ago when benzo wd wasn’t known at all.. she quit CT one day.. she was in and out of psych hospitals, she was given multiple psych meds since no one knew about benzo wd at the time, I mean they don’t even know, she was acting completely crazy for 4 yrs but in the end she healed.. she did have a strong will tho, unlike me I think. She doesn’t take any psych meds as of today or after that experience.. she’s a completely functioning person.

• Love 1

Nope

The drugs damaged my brain...I have constant flashback. Those coaches apparently don't even have these severe symptoms

• Like 1

I can tell you all that you will see improvement and your brain needs time to adjust.  My daughter just tapered off Haldol and is sooo much better then she was when on it.  I went through a cold turkey and I am almost completely back to where I was pre benzo.  I was very messed up and I said everything you all are saying.  So yes you will improve.  You don’t want to hear we all heal so I won’t say it but you will improve.  Every person I CT’d with improved and wrote success stories.  Your brain is fighting every positive anyone says and it’s normal.  Mine did it too.  I m currently on vacation laying in a cot tent on the river next to some hot springs.  I drove my truck and trailer, kayaked for 4 hours carrying a back pack and being a caregiver for someone tapering an AP!  I am doing pretty well under extremely stressful circumstances.  You guys are not the first nor last people who had all these sx.  You are going to improve even the whole time your brain is telling you won’t.  I did not believe anyone and thought everyone was lying….turns out they were right.  Find a benzo doctor and see what they say if you don’t believe a coach but you won’t believe the doc either.  It’s withdrawal it’s a symptom!  Accept it and survive or fight it like I did but guess what your still going to improve.  Yes I had akathasia inner and pacing…..but you will fight it!  I get it I did too.  All you can do is ride it out! 

Peace to you all! 

U

And yes the drugs messed up your body and brain…I won’t tell you they didn’t.  Give it time a long damn time and you will improve.  Go ahead punch the wall punch a pillow cuss throw shit scream and yell.  Get mad I did it too.  You are not your sx.  That’s all it is…. it’s a damn sx. 

• Like 1

I can tell you all that you will see improvement and your brain needs time to adjust.  My daughter just tapered off Haldol and is sooo much better then she was when on it.  I went through a cold turkey and I am almost completely back to where I was pre benzo.  I was very messed up and I said everything you all are saying.  So yes you will improve.  You don’t want to hear we all heal so I won’t say it but you will improve.  Every person I CT’d with improved and wrote success stories.  Your brain is fighting every positive anyone says and it’s normal.  Mine did it too.  I m currently on vacation laying in a cot tent on the river next to some hot springs.  I drove my truck and trailer, kayaked for 4 hours carrying a back pack and being a caregiver for someone tapering an AP!  I am doing pretty well under extremely stressful circumstances.  You guys are not the first nor last people who had all these sx.  You are going to improve even the whole time your brain is telling you won’t.  I did not believe anyone and thought everyone was lying….turns out they were right.  Find a benzo doctor and see what they say if you don’t believe a coach but you won’t believe the doc either.  It’s withdrawal it’s a symptom!  Accept it and survive or fight it like I did but guess what your still going to improve.  Yes I had akathasia inner and pacing…..but you will fight it!  I get it I did too.  All you can do is ride it out! 

Peace to you all! 

U

And yes the drugs messed up your body and brain…I won’t tell you they didn’t.  Give it time a long damn time and you will improve.  Go ahead punch the wall punch a pillow cuss throw shit scream and yell.  Get mad I did it too.  You are not your sx.  That’s all it is…. it’s a damn sx.

Thank you for this.  My mind going to places it should not today.  Are you able to smile?  Genuinely enjoy things?  My personality is so different this time after taking them.  I have all the resources and opportunities one could ever hope for (hard earned after 35 years of struggle and work from a disadvantaged beginning) yet I am cooped up in my room on a beautiful day, ignoring my responsibilities and scrolling endlessly to find a nugget of hope in a stream of despair. 

• Like 1

Yes I smile I laugh, I shop I dance I cry… but the first 6 months I layed on the floor in a fetal position alone completely alone.  I could not speak I did not leave the house unless I had to!  I was on the drug for 15 years and was cut off…a true cold turkey.  I know your pain and I am sorry!  I improved it got easier to handle then it got better.  That’s all I know just survive!  Do as much or as little as you can.  Just hold on!  Don’t let this shit beat you!  Survive to tell your story! 

• Love 1

Yes I smile I laugh, I shop I dance I cry… but the first 6 months I layed on the floor in a fetal position alone completely alone.  I could not speak I did not leave the house unless I had to!  I was on the drug for 15 years and was cut off…a true cold turkey.  I know your pain and I am sorry but I improved it got easier to handle then it got better.  That’s all I know just survive!  Do as much or as little as you can.  Just hold on!  Don’t let this shit beat you!  Survive to tell your story!

Thank you.  I appreciate the support more than you know.  This forum is both comforting and terrifying at the same time.  There was nothing I couldn't handle in the past.  Now I feel like an infant.  To know that the insiders in pharma know the truth but keep spending billions to gaslight us, is truly maddening. 

Worse ..u are badly brain injured and treated by others as insane

Ducktales,

Were you on Ativan for just 3 weeks?  Any improvements at all?

J

Nope I'm the online horror story that everyone avoids

I won't avoid you.  I understand what happened to you.  This is a horrible experience. 

I am sure not everybody heals cause I am friends with several 5-6-7-8-9-10 years out

And they are still not functional.

So I don’t know if we all heal.

Benzo coaches are here to prevent us from suicide by telling everybody they will heal.

If tjey would tell me there is a chance I am the same like this in the next 5 years I would be hanging nyseld fkssu

Just a quick note regarding this topic.  I was on Facebook yesterday and Baylissa wrote about this very topic with very strong words.  Read what she writes about recovery as she has been working the front lines for some twenty years, supporting thousands of people just like us.  I get updates on Facebook from her as I follow her through the wellness and recovery blog she puts out.  She addresses this issue in the last two of her FB posts, and she voices her dismay that there are people reporting that not everyone heals!  Read it and take away what you personally glean from it!!!!

GG

• Like 1

Rebecca,  if you are looking for hard scientific evidence that everyone heals, you won’t find any.

Heather Ashton did a small survey showing that the majority of her clinic patients healed, some stayed on the benzo, some stayed on a much lower dose.

She really wanted to support further research but guess what, couldn’t get the funding.

You might come across a short scientific paper looking at a small number of folk over just a few years but as far as I know no one has looked at the meta data. Why?

Well then we could go to court with this evidence and sue the pants off big pharma.

I am healing, I’m pretty functional now at 16 months off. I have joy back in my life and I will never take normal for granted again.

Hardy x

• Like 1

I am sure not everybody heals cause I am friends with several 5-6-7-8-9-10 years out

And they are still not functional.

So I don’t know if we all heal.

Benzo coaches are here to prevent us from suicide by telling everybody they will heal.

If tjey would tell me there is a chance I am the same like this in the next 5 years I would be hanging nyseld fkssu

It also depends on what meds they were on and there preexisting conditions.  If you go out looking for the worst cases you will find them.  You will even find some a few months off calling themselves the worst cases.  if you can communicate you are a whole lot better off than I was.  Your  story is not there’s.  Fill out your signature so we know what meds you were on and we know how far off you are from each med.  Not just the benzo but each one and every rescue dose .  Don’t be a fear monger.  Step up and be real.  You all need a break from all this online drama.  Eat healthy, quit exposing yourself to this 24 hours a day.  Get out of the groups.  Feed the right wolf.  Try something different.  Or lay around and torture yourself.  Seek support in real life.  Be your own advocate and give yourself the best chance you can. 

The fear mongering on these sites is at a peak level and the people who are a few months off are not the experts and neither are the ones who are not telling the whole story.  The ones that say they are years off with no improvement definitely need to address the pre existing factors they were not put on the meds because there life and health ware perfect.  I call BS and what meds were they on?  A benzo?  Or polydrugged with 5-20 diff ones an AP, an AD, or using other substances?  Alcohol?  It all comes into play.  But even they improve.  You don’t know the future.  You definitely don’t know the whole story of each person.  You don’t have the facts of each case or their history.  They may only be telling you a portion of it? 

As others have said the coaches aren’t going to say not everybody heals they’d be out business, I’m  4 and half years off zop, 3 years off AD’s, precious little healing. So no I don’t believe everybody heals. Purely down to luck, I’ve tried everything without success. Some are lucky others not so. Think mental symptoms lit harder to heal from than physical. Think it just takes as long as it takes, I’m. 3 years off meds and haven’t really seen progress, but my symptoms are particularly bad, you will find most people heal a lot quicker than me, just luck of the draw.

As others have said the coaches aren’t going to say not everybody heals they’d be out business, I’m  4 and half years off zop, 3 years off AD’s, precious little healing. So no I don’t believe everybody heals. Purely down to luck, I’ve tried everything without success. Some are lucky others not so. Think mental symptoms lit harder to heal from than physical

Are you still drinking vodka and not improving?  You are only 6 months off the diazepam, that’s why you are not healed.  You are not even protracted.  Have you suffered a long time because of the meds you chose to take,? yes.  Drinking alcohol will set you back too.  Quit fear mongering!

Upperleft: I appreciate your replies and bluntness. I am 6 months off with a crap ton of physical symptoms and this helps whip my perspective back into view. I am "only" 6 months off...need to wait longer.

Upperleft: I appreciate your replies and bluntness. I am 6 months off with a crap ton of physical symptoms and this helps whip my perspective back into view. I am "only" 6 months off...need to wait longer.

Thank you so much!  The truth is this is why as we see improvements we leave.  This constant suffering is too much!  The fear mongering, the constant drama!  Do yourself a favor….now that you know what happened to you, stop reading the stuff that triggers you.  Take a break, take care of you!  You will see improvements if you don’t reinstate, take rescue doses, take more benzos, or drink alcohol!

Peace

U

Thank you so much!  The truth is this is why as we see improvements we leave.  This constant suffering is too much!  The fear mongering, the constant drama!  Do yourself a favor….now that you know what happened to you, stop reading the stuff that triggers you.  Take a break, take care of you!  You will see improvements if you don’t reinstate, take rescue doses, take more benzos, or drink alcohol!

Peace

U

What do we do when in crisis?  I am in crisis.