Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Benzo withdrawal no more for me, after 10 yrs on xanax

[Be...]

After 10 years taking xanax and a 19 months taper, I finally feel recovered. I've been clean for two years, 8 months, nine days and 19 hours. I thought the stories of recovered people not coming back to tell about their success were bullshit, but I was wrong. After feeling healed, I found it difficult to face all the suffering through interacting with people who are still suffering. I spent entire days looking for possible solutions to my many symptoms here and on other social networks. I had practically all the symptoms and there were many times when I thought about ending it all because of the extreme suffering and the certainty that I would never recover. But I was wrong. I started to feel good after 18 months off benzos and I am now symptom free for at least six months. I've used cannabinoids and psychedelics, plus a ton of supplements and therapies. I am available to clarify any curiosity about my process. Sometimes it takes me a while to answer, as I have been working hard and taking care of my almost 4-year-old daughter. I started my taper because of her, when my wife was still pregnant, and I jumped off benzos when my daughter was only 15 months old. It was difficult, but without a doubt the best thing I've done in my life!
  • Like 6
  • Love 3

Do you still take cannabis or psychedelic?

I think if ur taking it's masking the withdrawal symptoms?

Did u have dp and emotional blunting?

Congratulations!

I have been on 1.5mg of X at bedtime since 2015. I was only on for 6 months when I realized it was one of worst decisions of my life.

I've used every excuse in the book to justify not starting a taper. I won't repeat it here. At the moment, I get interdosal side effects every day. A lot of gastrointestinal stuff. I had an endoscopy last week that turned out normal and overall it went good. I'm jittery all the time until I take this poison at night. Again, congratulations and you're an inspiration for me to begin.

Do you still take cannabis or psychedelic?

I think if ur taking it's masking the withdrawal symptoms?

Did u have dp and emotional blunting?

Hi, yes, I still take them. I dont think they are masking the withdrawals. I spent a month traveling through Europe this year and took no meds/supplements/psychedelics and felt amazing. I feel less and less need to take anything with time.

Yes, I had severe DP and emotional blunting. It was horrible!

• Like 1

Congratulations!

I have been on 1.5mg of X at bedtime since 2015. I was only on for 6 months when I realized it was one of worst decisions of my life.

I've used every excuse in the book to justify not starting a taper. I won't repeat it here. At the moment, I get interdosal side effects every day. A lot of gastrointestinal stuff. I had an endoscopy last week that turned out normal and overall it went good. I'm jittery all the time until I take this poison at night. Again, congratulations and you're an inspiration for me to begin.

I was just like you! There is hope. Keep going.

Lottie!!!!! I am so happy for u honey x such a long road for you but to see this post today just makes me smile! Well done honey ❤️

Thank you for writing your story, I’m happy to hear you’ve recovered, it happens and its real.  ;D

Thank you very much Pam. You are such an inspiration and your guidance was critical for me. Lots of love to you!!

• 1 month later...

Love This! Thank you for sharing this with us, Benzoito! I know your daughter is so glad to have her dad back and healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can think of, at the moment is "wow man, far out",

I guess I'm a true lightweight but I had one experience in my 20s with something called chocolate meskaline, something like that.  I could handle a lot of alcohol and quit that at age 33, but I never felt so scared and weird after I let myself be talked into taking it.  OMG, it lasted clear into the night, I doubt I really slept at all.  I was so paranoid, I remember laying in bed "hearing things that go bump in the night", lol!  This was long before I was got put on the C btw.

If it helps someone though, and it's like anything else I imagine, everyone is different.  My very best friend, life-long could smoke a lot of pot and loved it, all it did was make me paranoid.  I'm kind of surprised I got on a drug like C but I knew nothing about it except I had no side-effects for years, but obviously I got into tolerance wd sxs, just didn't have a clue, thought it was all just me, and figured if I didn't take the drug it would be worse.

I am happy for you to be off the benzo(s), especially the healing you've experienced! Whatever works for someone, I'm all for ;) Denise PS and would I love to travel through Europe, that or Wales where my grandparents were raised, hell I'd just like to travel!