Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Fear of being in a car

[Go...]

Fear is a huge symptom of benzo withdrawal. It is due to the chemical imbalance in the brain. It will get better as the GABAs level out. Fear is a benzo lie.

Is that your only fear or is it more generally agoraphobia? Either way it's not uncommon. I'm still not comfortable flying due to my horrendous wd anxiety.

I can relate, at least where driving is concerned. I have bad, bad RLS and stress makes it kick into high gear. Can't think of anything more stressful than recovering from benzos!  So I only ride with my husband. I'm supposed to meet some people for lunch tomorrow; first time in years I've gone out by myself. I practically did hand stands to keep from having to pick anyone up on the way. I like to put myself into semi-stressful situations once in a while to help me get used to life again, but the idea of driving in a car with someone who wants to talk freaked me out. Not yet, I thought. Definitely not yet.

These fears are so weird, aren't they? Things you'd never been afraid of suddenly loom large. If you can write it off or brush it off, or take small rides here and there and build up, it might help you get over the hump. They say 'muscles have memory.' I think our memories can help us get through the benzo fear, too. You probably have tons and tons of memories of riding safely in cars. When you're ready, it's quite possible that those memories will kick in and knock out the false benzo fear.

Keep your chin up! You'll make it!!  :thumbsup:

Anyone else have a fear of riding in a car?  The fears are non stop.

Hello,

Yes, I had that fear mainly a few months after stopping the medication and it seemed very strange to me since before wd I really liked driving.

Another strange symptom was fear of the night. For example, if I was outside my house and it was dark, it was something terrifying.

Those symptoms disappeared, they only came back in waves but they were less intense.

I cannot ride in a car.  I guess I survive it going slow in the city but interstates are a no go.  I think it’s largely a feeling of being trapped and having no control.  In addition, it seems like I feel everything way too much, from the vibration of the car to every little turn, acceleration/deceleration.

However, I can drive myself around for the most part.  I handle it much better because I’m in control and prepared for everything the car is doing.  I have trouble with the interstate though and refuse to go more than a few minutes on it.

Gonzo, I have read about a lot of members who have this problem.  It goes away as your nervous system settles down. 

It does go away little by little I’m not sure I’m fully 100% over this as I don’t drive with as much ease as I used to but now I can drive say an hour away in a car by myself on the interstate

• 1 month later...
I was afraid to take a shower for the longest time. Afraid to leave the house. Making it to the mailbox was a major accomplishment. It gets better, just takes awhile. Hang in there.

I dont feel my nervous system will get better.  Nothing has improved in 5 months.  It's just a horrible way of life that I believe is permanent.  I mean, how could people just "believe" this is going to get better when there are no signs of progress??

You just have to trust the people who made it through this.  I‘m worse off at 9 months than I was at 3.  There are some symptoms that have gotten better, but there are some that have gotten a lot worse. 

You have to give credit to the pioneers of benzo recovery 50 years ago who really had no clue what was going on or if they had permanent damage or not.  Without this forum and the words of people before me, I would never believe I was going to get better.  Thank goodness for this place. 

• Love 1