Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

After Ten Years I'm Finally Free

[ka...]

I had a panic attack ten years ago. The doctor I went to gave me a script of alprazolam. He started me on 1 mg. And told me to take it as needed. I did just that. I took it every time I felt anxious, because I was terrified of having another panic attack. Sooner than later I was bumped up to 3 mg. and told to take it morning, noon and night. I asked if I would be able to stop and was told probably not. Then the doctor referred me to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist started prescribing anti depressants, and anti psychotics. Nothing worked for the anxiety except the alprazolam. I know now the only reason it worked was because I was dependent on it and needed it to feel normal. I needed it to function. I couldn't leave the house with out it, I carried everywhere I went.  Years went on and I continued to take the alprazolam. We had to move and I got new doctors. They continued to prescribe the poison and I kept on taking it. It was two years ago, I decided I wanted off. I began tapering and suffering with the taper horribly. I thought I was going to die. Finally I decided that switching to valium and trying to taper from that would be easier. And for me, it was. I tapered down from 10mg. to 2 mg. and then jumped off. I've been free for 46 days and seeing lots of windows. I am wondering if I can fire my psychiatrist? Is it too soon? I am still afraid I might need to go back on the vailum. How long should you be free of a benzo before you can get rid of your source?

Hello karenreattoir50 :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

I'm so glad you decided to join the forum.  You've had a tough time, but you've done such a great job on your own.  Congratulations on  being benzo free, well done to you.  I don't think you will go back, unless the symptoms are unbearable!  What symptoms do you have?  Benzo withdrawal symptoms can be dreadful but they are temporary, it will get better.  You’ve come to a great place for support, our members are very knowledgable, we have a great community, you will get plenty of support and encouragement to get you through the rest of your journey. Please post questions to any of the dedicated boards.

Check out The Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body, I found it very reassuring reading CHAPTER III.  The manual lists common withdrawal symptoms  You will come through this ordeal, it just takes time.

Here are a few links to resources:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Post withdrawal recovery support.  this is a good place to start posting any questions you may have. 

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita