Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Zoetrope just registered

[Zo...]

I just registered and was asked to give a few words of introduction about myself but can’t figure out where. I’m 64, been in Benzos for 18yrs for insomnia and now trying to taper off. Originally my dose was 2 mg a day. For the past 6-5 years been experiencing symptoms unknown to be caused by tolerance. Have therapist and psychiatrist who have never helped even though I have expressed interest in going off the meds. Finally the doctor said I need to taper but beyond that no real guidance. Done lots of research and understanding now I’m here for some information and support.

Hello Zoestrope  :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

I am glad you are here with us, we can help you with tapering information and support. I am sorry, you got very little help from your therapist and psychiatrist, but great to know your doctor is supporting a taper.  What benzo are you taking?  Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly. Its generally suggested to reduce your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days. Many need to go slower, whatever feels comfortable for you. The aim is to keep any symptoms manageable. You will learn more about taper methods if you check out the taper plans board. Please post questions for members to respond.

I would like to suggest you read The Ashton Manual, It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  The manual provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum.  Our members are happy to share their personal experiences with you and support you.

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Withdrawal Support

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita