Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Agoraphobia, Social Anxiety, & Breakup

[to...]

Hey guys, I'm posting because I have been having a difficult time here going into 9 months, rapid tapered off Klonopin that was given to me from an RX doctor over the years since 2007, so about 14 1/2 years using by a doctor. My history of mental illness started when I have a panic attack growing up it lasted for almost 3 months and was put on Zoloft at the time. In high school and I was discovering I had social anxiety and always had intrusive thoughts of people thinking bad things about me all the time. which led me to drop out of school and try a whole bunch of SSRIs/SNRI.  while prescribed Ativan 1mg and then later when I was in my 20s switched over to taking 3mg a day of Klonopin. I now had to reach tolerance because when I would take Klonopin I wasn't having decreased anxiety unable to easily go out anymore, so I would take more which lead me to run out before my script could be filled. I was treated then with TMS therapy which didn't work at all and rapid tapered Klonopin in a matter of 3 months.

I'm currently having so much trouble going outside by myself. Examples like taking the trash to the curb or going to check the mailbox that's right outside my door is even bothersome. On top of that, I'm going through a breakup with a girl I had met before going off of Klonopin and it left me feeling sad and lonesome like I'm going to be like this forever since I had taken Klonopin for a long time.

I been using baclofen dosages up to 200mgs because it has helped me with social anxiety and agoraphobia in the past while going through benzo withdrawal and I'm currently tapering 10mg each 3 days of that. I'm also tapering off of Parnate 30mg as well because it had stopped working for my depression and my  nurse practitioner wants to try me on Anafranil to see if that will be better.

The main issues are whats in the threat title and just looking for i guess reassurance or someone who is in the same situation kinda like i am ?

Thanks you guys

Hey guys, I'm posting because I have been having a difficult time here going into 9 months, rapid tapered off Klonopin that was given to me from an RX doctor over the years since 2007, so about 14 1/2 years using by a doctor. My history of mental illness started when I have a panic attack growing up it lasted for almost 3 months and was put on Zoloft at the time. In high school and I was discovering I had social anxiety and always had intrusive thoughts of people thinking bad things about me all the time. which led me to drop out of school and try a whole bunch of SSRIs/SNRI.  while prescribed Ativan 1mg and then later when I was in my 20s switched over to taking 3mg a day of Klonopin. I now had to reach tolerance because when I would take Klonopin I wasn't having decreased anxiety unable to easily go out anymore, so I would take more which lead me to run out before my script could be filled. I was treated then with TMS therapy which didn't work at all and rapid tapered Klonopin in a matter of 3 months.

I'm currently having so much trouble going outside by myself. Examples like taking the trash to the curb or going to check the mailbox that's right outside my door is even bothersome. On top of that, I'm going through a breakup with a girl I had met before going off of Klonopin and it left me feeling sad and lonesome like I'm going to be like this forever since I had taken Klonopin for a long time.

I been using baclofen dosages up to 200mgs because it has helped me with social anxiety and agoraphobia in the past while going through benzo withdrawal and I'm currently tapering 10mg each 3 days of that. I'm also tapering off of Parnate 30mg as well because it had stopped working for my depression and my  nurse practitioner wants to try me on Anafranil to see if that will be better.

The main issues are whats in the threat title and just looking for i guess reassurance or someone who is in the same situation kinda like i am ?

Thanks you guys

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like you've been through a lot since high school. I have some experience with agoraphobia and understand how debilitating it can be. I've also experienced other types of situational anxiety including intrusive thoughts, fear and phobia of flying and panic attacks - I can relate to some of what you're experiencing.

I really understand how difficult going through these things can be - with support. And, when we're going through a major life event like a breakup... it can really exacerbate the feelings and situation. A couple questions I have for you:

Are you open to CBT or talk therapy? This may be something you've already tried or are currently doing? When I've experienced extreme panic and inability to leave my home - I found talking with a therapist really helped me - when I did this consistently. Most therapists will see patients virtually. Again, perhaps you've tried this already, but when working with my therapist, they listened but also set small little goals that helped me SLOWLY acclimate to getting 'out' more. But at a very ... slow pace that honored where I was at in my journey.

Can you tell us more about how your Klonopin taper is going?

Also - one other really random thing to maybe bring a small smile to your face. I love TOOL. They're one of my favorite bands of all time. Saw them in concert a couple times and also saw APC and Puscifer. Wishing you well. Hang in there.
  • Love 1

I as well am prescribed baclofen for my neck spasms. I stopped taking it based on input from messages read here and other sites online.  Seems to be classified as a GABA-b drug which works similar to the z-drug GABA-a.    Careful about stopping baclofen if you should decide: it's a cruel process similar to benzo withdrawl.  There is the ambiguous MUST TAPER THIS DRUG waring alert on the box/bottle for a reason.  I stopped 120mg of baclofen overnight. On the second day the shakes, tremors, panic and anxiety kicked in with very little sleep.  Thought I was going nuts permanently. This lasted for about 3 weeks before it relented.  I treated the withdrawal effects with a lot of valium.  Still, I felt those effects.

Just be careful about taking a z-drug and baclofen.  Speaking from personal experience.  Also - NO floroquinoles (sp?) antibiodics!