Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hello

[wi...]

Hello. My name is Jan. I am currently tapering off of 4 mgs of Xanax prescribed for primary insomnia and GAD. I have been taking this medication as directed, nightly, since 2016. I am straight tapering by .25 mgs every 30 days as directed and will be dropping down to 2.75 mgs next week. I believe I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms while tapering. I am feeling pretty awful and scared. I saw your site as a suggested resource tonight and thought I would join to hear of others’ experiences for info and support. Thank you.

Hello  wilcrosak :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies

We are glad you joined, you will get plenty of help and support here.  We understand that you're scared, most of us are, but you are going to be okay!  You have done a great job tapering so far, I would slow it down. I will leave some information for you.  Tapering slow can help to minimize withdrawal effects.  It is generally recommended to taper no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. This is a guideline and it is ok to adjust this schedule for your own comfort.

Check out the Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s  have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common temporary symptoms

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal (TaperPlans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Xanax Club

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Please take time to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita