Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Love to chat w/ppl who had low starting xanex doses on their taper

[jo...]

Hi all. I spent about 6 months on Xanex on an as needed basis that ended up being everyday. My doses were always reasonably low ranging from .2 in the beginning to .8 in the last week or so. There were also 2 days on which I took significantly more than usual (2.4 and 3.2 roughly).

My sudden spike  in usage (i.e. abuse) lead to running out early. This didn't really bother me, as the drug has never really done much for me that I noticed. Taking it had become more of a mental crutch; I reached for it when I felt bad, but rarely noticed the effects.

However, the next day, I felt terrible. My heart was racing and my head felt cloudy. It was only then that I realized how powerful these stupid things are as I Googled and realized that withdraw was my issue. (It wasn't immediately evident because I'd also recently started proper, long-term psych meds).

I demanded that my psych cut out the Xanex and switch me to minimum dose of valium (hadn't done much tapering research yet). Currently , I'm taking 1.25 mg of Valium split up into 2 doses which is what I started with on Thursday. I still notice some minor symptoms, but it quite manageable overall and a huge improvement over the full withdraw I felt last Thursday.

I'm here to learn about the experiences of other users, especially those with similar starting dose situations ( 6 months+  usage, but on relatively small doses.).

Hello johnnygninja :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined our community.  It doesn’t take long for the body to become dependent on benzos.  I am sorry you learned the hard way about stopping abruptly. (ouch)  You will get support and encouragement here to help you as you taper and recover.  It’s generally suggested reducing between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days, but often members find that too fast. Listen to your body, and adjust depending how you feel.  Please post your questions to any of the dedicated boards.   

The Ashton Manual, gives you a better understanding on why you feel the way you do.  It is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body. Its great learning that symptoms are indeed temporary.  The manual  also includes a list of common symptoms 

Here are some links to get you started.

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper) This is where our buddies who are tapering post for support.

You might also like to post here

Valium Support Group

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) to help members give you relevant advice.  Please go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita