Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Does akathisia stop?

[Bu...]

My absolute worst symptom is akathisia. I don’t see many with the severity of the suicidal akathisia I experience. I HAVE to die NOW during it. If I didn’t have someone keeping me safe I would probably be dead. Does this definitely go away once off all meds? If it doesn’t I can’t hold on.

I’m sorry you are suffering from akathisia.  Benzo survivor Chris Paige also suffered and recovered from this challenging condition.  Chris recently founded The Institute for Akathisia to create better resources and outcomes for sufferers. To learn more:

Interview with Chris Paige, LCSW (video by Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring, a benzo-informed psychiatrist)

Chris Paige, LCSW (trauma-informed psychotherapy and coaching)

https://www.chrispaigelcsw.com/

The Institute for Akathisia

https://akathisiainstitute.org/

I’ve had this quite a bit thru my journey and it isn’t so readily said on here or other groups but I think we all know exactly what the other is feeling when they say they have aka and it is horrendous….. so please know you are not alone. Your whole being will make you feel alone and is so so brutal in the darkness and pain it brings but please know it’s not your forever.

I sobbed and sobbed in my closet as my safe space with a stuffed animal on so many occasions. Try a bath bc that helped the internal agitation for me (it dampened it some). Holding a heating pad with my stuffed animal (I’m 40), rocking slowly back and forth sitting on soft pillows in my closet while listening to the rain. I had written a letter in a better moment and that letter id read over and over as I listened and cried.

This has improved for me and yes Chris Paige struggled with it for s long time and developing an aka institute.

Some people have tried propanalol for this and it helped them but i have not tried anything bc I am very sensitive so just never did. I never thought I could make it and I have. So please know you are worth it to be here to get to where this will finally go away and how glorious it will be when that day comes. Please know it has vine away for everyone I’ve talked with about it. You are no different, it will go away for you too.

Thanking God you have someone with you and know they will be there for yiu so will everyone on here to reach out to. You take care of yourself, the darkness and terror aka brings is not our new brain, it’s our brain mixed up on the way ro regulating again.

Also know hormones can really cause this to get out of whack and so if a female our monthly cycles can cause it to really hit hard for some of us bc our hormones have tanked and that’s the feeling we get when that happens. Know that it will lift and try writing yourself s note to read to help pull you thru the hellish ones. Bc you will come through it.

Hugs. You are not alone no matter what your brain tries to tell you. We are here.

Very sorry! How does it manifest for you? Many people heal from this!

If I described it here my post would probably be deleted. It contains extreme suicidality.

An inner screaming and feeling of exploding. Like every single cell in my body and ounce of my being is screaming HELP ME. I would do anything to make it stop even if that meant blowing myself up. My mind flicks through horrific images and intrusives going 100mph. I know it’s the drugs and it’s not me bc I never had any of this before the drugs.

I’ve had this quite a bit thru my journey and it isn’t so readily said on here or other groups but I think we all know exactly what the other is feeling when they say they have aka and it is horrendous….. so please know you are not alone. Your whole being will make you feel alone and is so so brutal in the darkness and pain it brings but please know it’s not your forever.

I sobbed and sobbed in my closet as my safe space with a stuffed animal on so many occasions. Try a bath bc that helped the internal agitation for me (it dampened it some). Holding a heating pad with my stuffed animal (I’m 40), rocking slowly back and forth sitting on soft pillows in my closet while listening to the rain. I had written a letter in a better moment and that letter id read over and over as I listened and cried.

This has improved for me and yes Chris Paige struggled with it for s long time and developing an aka institute.

Some people have tried propanalol for this and it helped them but i have not tried anything bc I am very sensitive so just never did. I never thought I could make it and I have. So please know you are worth it to be here to get to where this will finally go away and how glorious it will be when that day comes. Please know it has vine away for everyone I’ve talked with about it. You are no different, it will go away for you too.

Thanking God you have someone with you and know they will be there for yiu so will everyone on here to reach out to. You take care of yourself, the darkness and terror aka brings is not our new brain, it’s our brain mixed up on the way ro regulating again.

Also know hormones can really cause this to get out of whack and so if a female our monthly cycles can cause it to really hit hard for some of us bc our hormones have tanked and that’s the feeling we get when that happens. Know that it will lift and try writing yourself s note to read to help pull you thru the hellish ones. Bc you will come through it.

Hugs. You are not alone no matter what your brain tries to tell you. We are here.

This made me cry I’m going to screenshot this to read in my darkest moments. You are a very kind soul, I can feel it.

i know exatcly what your talking about I went through it for 45-60 days. I am on the other side of it and mostly healed now. hang on it ends

• 3 months later...