Important Survey - Please Participate ×

New subscriber

[CP...]

Clorazepate, have had no concerns and feel fine, never overused the med and am in continued contact w prescribing psychiatrist. 

The more I read about benzos I have growing concerns that this could be a problem.  So far it’s the best thing I’ve ever had.

Again, no history of abuse or overuse.

Hello CP100, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Not everyone will have trouble with these drugs, some can stay on it with no problem, others can discontinue it with no problem, just not us.  The thing is, these medications are only intended to be used for 2-4 weeks because dependence can happen but I've seen it happen in as little as 10 days. 

Have you ever missed a dose and felt odd symptoms have you had to increase your dose because its not as effective as it once was?  This would indicate dependence and tolerance.  Many physicians are starting to pull back from prescribing because benzodiazepines are shaping up to be the next opioid disaster so many people are choosing to taper off rather than be ripped off the drug because their doctors won't prescribe it anymore.

You may be one of the lucky ones who can take this drug and be fine, I hope you are but I'll provide some links to help you understand a bit more about this process.

Pamster

Colorado  Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning  Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal  Support (during your taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list

Started at like 3.5 mg 3x a day 4 years ago and dose was raised about 2 years ago to 7.5 mg 3x.

Quite often I only take 2 but otherwise take as prescribed. Have never felt bad and have told the Dr I have no desire to increase again.  I never take one at night unless I wake up and can’t go back to sleep.

It has and continues to be effective where no anti depressants helped.

Just wondering what I would be in for if I stop/taper.

Honestly haven’t abused ever and results have really helped me tremendously to date.

Have talked to Dr about “what if” I wanted to quit taking it, would it require a rehab etc. he said no, I could do it through his supervision and wasn’t for/against it.

Appreciate your time and answers

Most of our members have taken these medications as prescribed but when their body grew dependent on and tolerant to their dose, they had to decide whether to raise their dose or taper.  For us, getting off of these drugs is just about the worst experience of our lives, it was for me.  If you're not having problems, you may want to stay on the Clorazepate because average recovery time is 1 to 2 years after you've successfully tapered off the drug.

We don't recommend rehab, they tend to rip their clients off the drug too quicky, then send them home to suffer, most will reinstate and do a slow taper, we suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or using your symptoms to guide your taper, this can hopefully keep you functional.

Thank you for taking this much time. I plan to research here and to stick w not increasing my dose. That may eventually determine what I do.  Please understand that after 5 alcohol rehabs I am not nonchalant about this.

my initial prescription was due to an onset of severe wake up despair and hopelessness (every time) not to get off alcohol, had 1.5 hrs of sobriety prior to psychiatrist

Have had 12 years of alcohol sobriety since 2008 w and w/o chlorazepate.

Thank you

I'm glad you're doing your research, this is a huge commitment so it's good you're considering it carefully.  I'm recovering as well, 1991, but started taking benzo's 14 years later, they hit my GABA receptors just like alcohol did, that first pill felt like my first drink, not good.