Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hello. I’m new. Advice needed.

[gu...]

Hello everyone. Am struggling with Diazepam. I have been on them 16 years. I take 56mg a month and am trying to reduce but finding it hard. Have just started spreading this out weekly on a daily basis, as I was just used to taking when needed with no set pattern or dose. Have been advised to split the tablets equally daily over a month, but am scared about doing it. Can anyone tell me if I am doing the right thing, as my failed attempts at withdrawal are really really awful?

Hello guitarman75, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We can certainly help you, we suggest reducing by about 5-10% (not 50%) every couple of weeks but using your symptoms to guide your taper is a much better option for hopefully keeping you functional.  Its good you're working on taking them on a regular basis, this will help keep your blood serum levels more stable so you can avoid symptom fluctuations.  What do you feel is your daily dose at the moment?

I'll provide some links to help you get started but we're looking forward to helping you become benzo free. 

Pamster

Colorado  Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning  Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal  Support (during your taper)

Ashton  Manual symptom list

Hi Pamster. I’ve been taking 56mg total a month and have used it when needed, so no set daily amount  but have been over using it and taking too much in any amount. It has been suggested, because I am having a terrible time randomly using it and trying to cut down, that I take 2mg a day to add structure and to help me spread the withdrawal. Is this a good thing to do?

Yes, taking a daily dose is the necessary first step, others have tried to taper while still taking it as needed and it doesn't work.  Taking 2 mgs a day sounds like a good start but please don't attempt to taper until you can establish this will work for you.

Hi Pamster. I’m really suffering everyday and am on day 4 of trying to stabilise. How long do you think stabilisation will take? 

How severe are your symptoms?  If you can't function, if you can't take care of your daily tasks, then you might want to consider going up in dose.  We have to expect to be uncomfortable but hate to see you suffer.  Valium can take a couple of weeks to fully build up in strength.

Yes. I’m not really functioning at all. I can up it to 6 tablets a week spread over week, but that’s what I’m Effectively doing now. I just want to stabilise. I’m not lowering my total months dose but have spread it out on a daily basis. I used to have no set pattern and take varying doses and I think this may be the problem. Do you think it will calm eventually?  How long?  I didn’t think it would be this bad.

It can take a week or two for Valium to become fully effective, but since we're not sure if 2 mgs is what your body needs its tough to know how this is going to go. 

I’ve totally cocked things up. I took 10.5 tablets of Valium today instead of 1 tablet. And it’s not made me feel any better.

Edit: Content

A one off dose mistake shouldn't cause problems, but maybe this wasn't a mistake, you took 10.5 because you're desperate?  Are you still trying to stabilize on 2 mgs, maybe you need to go up to 4.

I hate to see you double your dose but I don't know the degree of your suffering, are you able to take a shower, can you prepare yourself something to eat, can you take care of your basic needs?  Asking you these questions about your functionality illustrates just how painful this process is for us, I'm not being dramatic by asking them.  This is the level of suffering some of us have come to expect from this process.

If you can take care of your basic daily needs then this is the barometer we use to define stability.  If you can perform your daily tasks, if your symptoms have pretty much stopped changing drastically then you're considered stable and can think about reducing your dose. 

I know its horrible and its the worst experience many of us will face but you can recover from this, you can return to who you were with no PTSD or pain. The fear you're feeling is the drug, its not who you are or who you will be. 

When do you see your doctor again, can you call him to let him know how bad off you are?  This is too much, please call his office and don't worry about going up in dose if he agrees, this level of suffering needs to stop.  We have many members who have had to go up in dose, like jelly baby one of our administrators and she's glad she did because after that, she was able to do a sane taper that allowed her to function.