Important Survey - Please Participate ×

I'm NEW! Violet111

[VI...]

Hi. I've been on K. since 2010 @ 0.5 mg, 1 1/2 tabs a day. I need support, as I want to taper soon. My GP has taken over all of my meds since both my Pain Management and my Psychiatrist retired about 4 years ago. My GP does NOT want to keep RX-ing since he doesn't have the time/knowledge to deal w/ my complicated situation. He's also afraid of the DEA/FEDS raiding his office, etc. Recently, I had a FALSE NEGATIVE for my K. on a urine drug screen! I didn't know before that Benz's--especially K., often don't show up on basic urine screens. My GP believes that I'm taking it--or I'd have gone into ACUTE WITHDRAWAL! BUT, he still is afraid of HOW IT LOOKS--patients can divert meds, etc. So, I'm trying to FIND another new psychiatrist to take over the RX-ing of the K.

Soooo stressful. I'm familiar with The Ashton Manual & am on some FB support groups. I just need support and still have lots of ?'s. **I NEED a PSYCHIATRIST ASAP--I live in N. Calif. & would appreciate any referrals.**** I also need to find a decent Pain Management place (very tough to find!) to continue RX-ing my opioids & I'd like to taper off those also.

Thank you for listening,

V.

Hi VOILET111

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am sorry you find yourself in this difficult situation. We are seeing an increase in doctors being more hesitant when it comes to prescribing benzo's. We will gladly help you with your tapering journey. This organisation keeps a list of doctors who are sympathetic to benzo withdrawal: https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/. Many of our members have also mentioned that nurse practitioners seem to be helpful when it comes to prescribing benzo's for tapering purposes.

Usually we recommend you only taper one drug at a time, so I suggest you decide whether you want to start with the opioids or the benzo's. When it comes to benzo's we suggest cuts of no more than 5-10% of your daily dose every two weeks or so, but it's best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate as that should allow you to remain functional. A symptoms based taper is generally the way to go.

Here are some links to get you started:

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Add your history/signature

Please look around and let us know how we can help you!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi. I did recently look at the lists of doctors that aew Benzo-wize, but none very close to me. What forum can I ask people here for doctor referrals? Thanks!