Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Propranolol and Pantoprazole

[ty...]

Does anyone has experience taking these meds through withdrawl and healing? I have been on pantoprazole for gerd for over 10 years, before the benzo. I started propranolol during withdrawl for akathisia. I have bouts of good sleep. like weeks at a time and then i get terrible nights where i get these awful hypnic jerks and get zero sleep. These are the only 2 meds i am on.......i need to know they arent hurting me.

Hi there,

I take Propranolol.  It does not hinder healing.  I'm not familiar with the other drug.  I, too, take the Propranolol for Akathisia.  I do know that coming off of it when the time comes will require a slow taper.  It is a beta-blocker...no interference with Gaba receptors.  I hope this information helps you.

See below:  (Both taken from the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition Site)

Beta-Blockers

In a few cases, severe palpitations, muscle tremors or motor jerks develop during benzodiazepine withdrawal and hinder progress. These symptoms can be controlled or ameliorated by beta-blocking drugs such as propranolol (Inderal). Drugs of this type inhibit the effects of excess epinephrine and norepinephrine (adrenaline and noradrenaline) released by an overactive sympathetic nervous system. They slow the heart and prevent excess muscle activity. Although they have little effect on psychological symptoms, they can cut the vicious circle in which palpitations or tremor create anxiety which leads to yet more palpitations. Some people in benzodiazepine withdrawal take small doses of these drugs (10-20mg Inderal three times daily) regularly, while others reserve them to take only if the physical symptoms of a panic attack seem uncontrollable. They are not a cure, but can sometimes help people through a difficult situation. In larger doses, beta-blockers are used for raised blood pressure and angina, but such doses are not advised in benzodiazepine withdrawal. They should not be taken by anyone who has asthma as they can cause constriction of the bronchial tubes. If beta-blockers have been used regularly for any length of time, they should be withdrawn slowly by tapering the dosage, as they too can cause a withdrawal reaction of increased heart rate and palpitations.

Insomnia, Nightmares, Sleep Disturbance

The sleep engendered by benzodiazepines, though it may seem refreshing at first, is not a normal sleep. Benzodiazepines inhibit both dreaming sleep (rapid eye movement sleep, REMS) and deep sleep (slow wave sleep, SWS). The extra sleep time that benzodiazepines provide is spent mainly in light sleep, termed Stage 2 sleep. REM and SWS are the two most important stages of sleep and are essential to health. Sleep deprivation studies show that any deficit is quickly made up by a rebound to above normal levels as soon as circumstances permit.

In regular benzodiazepine users REMS and SWS tend to return to pre-drug levels (because of tolerance) but the initial deficit remains. On withdrawal, even after years of benzodiazepine use, there is a marked rebound increase in REMS which also becomes more intense. As a result, dreams become more vivid, nightmares may occur and cause frequent awakenings during the night. This is a normal reaction to benzodiazepine withdrawal and, though unpleasant, it is a sign that recovery is beginning to take place. When the deficit of REMS is made up, usually after about 4-6 weeks, the nightmares become less frequent and gradually fade away.

Return of SWS seems to take longer after withdrawal, probably because anxiety levels are high, the brain is overactive and it is hard to relax completely. Subjects may have difficulty in getting off to sleep and may experience “restless legs syndrome”, sudden muscle jerks (myoclonus) just as they are dropping off or be jolted suddenly by a hallucination of a loud bang (hypnagogic hallucination) which wakes them up again. These disturbances may also last for several weeks, sometimes months.

However, all these symptoms do settle in time. The need for sleep is so powerful that normal sleep will eventually reassert itself. Meanwhile, attention to sleep hygiene measures including avoiding tea, coffee, other stimulants or alcohol near bedtime, relaxation tapes, anxiety management techniques and physical exercise may be helpful. Taking all or most of the dose of benzodiazepine at night during the reduction period may also help. Occasionally another drug might be indicated (see section on adjuvant drugs, below).

That was very helpful, i do have one question since we both take propranolol for akathisia.......since the propranolol takes the akathisia away, how do we know when its gone and can stop taking the propranolol? I really don't know if i still have it. I have been off 10 months and the akathisia started a week after i jumped. I started taking propranolol and it worked right away. I tried comin off a month later and the aka came back . I have been on ever since..........how do i know when to taper off?  Thanks

That was very helpful, i do have one question since we both take propranolol for akathisia.......since the propranolol takes the akathisia away, how do we know when its gone and can stop taking the propranolol? I really don't know if i still have it. I have been off 10 months and the akathisia started a week after i jumped. I started taking propranolol and it worked right away. I tried comin off a month later and the aka came back . I have been on ever since..........how do i know when to taper off?  Thanks

That is a great question.  And, I think the only answer for us will be to give it a try...by a slow taper...and, see how it goes.  Did you slow taper when you tried?  I mean, a slow taper...not a doctor's version of a slow taper for Propranolol.  The reason is, I tried to come off when I thought that I had eliminated what had caused the Akathisia, but I did not slowly taper it.  I am still tapering my benzo.  I got increased anxiety...pretty badly increased which exacerbated my Akathisia.  So, to give it a good shot to see where you are at, I think you have to look at it as tapering by no more than 10%/month.  I know it's not a benzo, but I don't think it matters.  The NS is still sensitive, and a slow taper will always be the way that I approach coming off of meds now, and in truth, I think the smarter way.

This is my opinion, but it is based on experience and other things I have read regarding tapering off of other meds after your cessation.

I hope this helps.

Warmly,

F

I had to quit PPIs. The first time I had aka it didn't bother me but this time it might have as I still got worse after my setback from another drug.