Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Will gabapentin cause a setback?

[hl...]

I’m 7 months off klonopin and having some severe nerve pain. Can I take gabapentin to ease my symptoms? I’ve never taken it before, and do not intend to take regularly. The sensation is so bad and nothing seems to ease the pain.

I’m curious if taking a singular 100-300mg pill of gabapentin will cause a setback? Does anyone know?

It's possible, I would not recommend trying it. Gabapentin and these other related substances like pregabalin all act on GABA receptors, similar to benzos. I was on pregabalin and suffered horrible withdrawals after stopping it.

More info here:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/#gabapentinlyricaneurontinpregabalin

You can also try asking your question on the gabapentin support group:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=84267.0

Good luck!

Me too-it worked for about 3 weeks but the w/d was absolutely hideous! Others, however, have had really good responses. Who knows-it’s all a game of roulette…

It's possible, I would not recommend trying it. Gabapentin and these other related substances like pregabalin all act on GABA receptors, similar to benzos. I was on pregabalin and suffered horrible withdrawals after stopping it.

Just checking … do you have citations from credible sources you can share to support the above claim? Here’s what StatPearls has to say about the mechanism of action of gabapentin:

The exact mechanism of action with the GABA receptors is unknown; however, researchers know that gabapentin freely passes the blood-brain barrier and acts on neurotransmitters. Gabapentin has a cyclohexyl group to the structure of neurotransmitter GABA as a chemical structure. Even though it has a similar structure to GABA, it does not bind to GABA receptors and does not influence the synthesis or uptake of GABA. Gabapentin works by showing a high affinity for binding sites throughout the brain correspondent to the presence of the voltage-gated calcium channels, especially alpha-2-delta-1, which seems to inhibit the release of excitatory neurotransmitters in the presynaptic area which participate in epileptogenesis. Even though there is no evidence for direct action at the serotonin, dopamine, benzodiazepine, or histamine receptors, research has shown gabapentin to increase total-blood levels of serotonin in healthy control subjects.

The elimination half-life of gabapentin is 5 to 7 hours, and it takes two days for the body to eliminate gabapentin from its system.

Citation:

Gabapentin - StatPearls - NCBI Bookshelf

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK493228/

Hello Libertas, you were right to check on me, my response was in fact, incorrect.

I wrote it acts on the GABA receptors more from memory of articles I've read on various benzo sites, because they cause similar effects as benzos, and from my own gapapentinoid wd experience that was very much like a benzo wd: severe insomnia (no more than 2-3 hours of sleep per night), diarheea, nausea, internal organ pain, intense anxiety. But indeed, gabapentinoids don't not bind to GABA receptors.

From wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabapentinoid

Gabapentinoids produce effects similar to GABAergic central nervous system depressants such as alcohol, γ-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), and benzodiazepines.

I also found some scientific article that explains they act on the extra synaptic δGABA-A receptors'

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6491616/

They identified δGABA-A receptors as targets of gabapentin for eliciting anxiolysis and motor side effects[...]

Although gabapentin does not directly modify GABA-A receptor function, it may indirectly increase tonic inhibition via enhanced expression of extra synaptic receptors in specific brain regions including the cerebellum and hippocampus.

Anyway, the folks at the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition advise against taking it:

Usually, setbacks occur after environmental stresses, according to Dr. Heather Ashton in her 2011 supplement to The Ashton Manual, which can include GABAergic and other substances. Reactions and setbacks can vary from short-lived and mild to severe and long-lasting.

GABAergic means “pertaining to or affecting the neurotransmitter GABA“. A substance is GABAergic if it produces its effects via interactions with the GABA system, such as by stimulating or blocking neurotransmission. A GABAergic or GABAergic agent is any chemical that modifies the effects of GABA in the body or brain. Some different classes of GABAergic drugs include the following: GABA receptor agonists, GABA receptor antagonists, and GABA reuptake inhibitors. Some examples include gabapentinoids and GABA analogues.

Setback refers to the return of a withdrawal syndrome after improvement or healing. Reaction describes an increase or recurrence of withdrawal symptoms after exposure to a substance. For an example consider a patient who experienced protracted withdrawal syndrome for 2 years post taper. They healed and returned to normal functioning.The patient, after a stressful day, consumed a GABA supplement hoping to relax. Within a few days all of their protracted withdrawal symptoms returned, rendering them bedridden and unable to work again for another 2 years.

Source:https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/

I don't know if you consider them a credible source though.

I’m 7 months off klonopin and having some severe nerve pain. Can I take gabapentin to ease my symptoms? I’ve never taken it before, and do not intend to take regularly. The sensation is so bad and nothing seems to ease the pain.

I’m curious if taking a singular 100-300mg pill of gabapentin will cause a setback? Does anyone know?

I have been using 300 mg at night for sleep. I talked to many buddies on this forum who did the same, none had any major difficulty weaning off of it. Most reduced by 100 mg a month. Most also used 300 mg, one used 400 mg. My former DCW's wife was on it for many years, over the years, her dose was lowered. She stepped off the 100 mg. she had been taking for a year. My DCW said she had no withdrawals.

Mary1 makes a valid point, though. Many other buddies had horrible experiences getting off. Generally, you have to wean off gradually. I was on it short-term (2 to 3 weeks?) many years ago, again 300 mg. I actually stopped it cold turkey and had zero problems.

Also, it may not help. I tried increasing it to help with the paresthesia I have from benzo w/d. Disaster! I can handle 300 mg, but anything more just made me feel terrible. Another member on here had the same problem, she was fine at 300 mg for sleep at night, but when she increased it for daytime use, it made her sick. And it did not help my issue, paresthesia gets worse as day goes by. I have prescription Lidocaine ointment I use for joint issues, I have been trying that. It knocks it down a little, but doesn't completely eliminate it. There is an OTC, but the prescription is stronger. Gentle heat helps too. Some people find Epsom Salt baths help. I use a fleece neck gaiter that can be heated, mine is mostly in my face.