Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Travel anxiety & Insomnia

[Po...]

I haven’t traveled by air for over 2 years given the Covid pandemic. I don’t do air travel well as a general rule. The chaos and discomfort of it stresses me out. Plus I always get anticipatory anxiety the night before and can’t sleep. The stress of travel is bad enough but I can handle it if I sleep the night before. If I don’t sleep and then try to travel I melt into a puddle. I have a trip coming up I need to make but I know it’s going to difficult. And when I get stressed out it stresses my wife.

I have been off benzos since 2016 and have been sleeping pretty good when my life is calm. I’d like to keep that way but I know this upcoming trip is going to challenge that greatly. So I’m wondering what do folks think would happen if I took a valium the night before travel and that’s all. Just to get some sleep/rest before flying the next day?  Would that be toying with disaster or would one dose of valium be no big deal. I’m interested in what some you think. My other choice is don’t make the trip.

Pokey 

Golly, this is a tough one pokey and I hear your concerns.  I haven't traveled since Covid and getting off benzos so I feel the same as you about travel now - it feels spooky.  For me, taking even one dose of a benzo again is a slippery slope.  If I justified taking one, my goofy head would justify taking another one, and I know how that story ends.  But that would be the problem with taking even one benzo for me - perhaps you have more control in that arena than I do.

I haven’t traveled by air for over 2 years given the Covid pandemic. I don’t do air travel well as a general rule. The chaos and discomfort of it stresses me out. Plus I always get anticipatory anxiety the night before and can’t sleep. The stress of travel is bad enough but I can handle it if I sleep the night before. If I don’t sleep and then try to travel I melt into a puddle. I have a trip coming up I need to make but I know it’s going to difficult. And when I get stressed out it stresses my wife.

I have been off benzos since 2016 and have been sleeping pretty good when my life is calm. I’d like to keep that way but I know this upcoming trip is going to challenge that greatly. So I’m wondering what do folks think would happen if I took a valium the night before travel and that’s all. Just to get some sleep/rest before flying the next day?  Would that be toying with disaster or would one dose of valium be no big deal. I’m interested in what some you think. My other choice is don’t make the trip.

Pokey

Yikes I wouldnt take a benzo ever again... it will be like asking for just another one on the trip and then another one etc.

I love travelling and I am so upset I cant even do weekend or long day trips with my kid because I never know how I will sleep. Its almost what bothers me the most about it all...

I would avoid Benzos the same way you'd avoid RAT POISON!

If you absolutely have to take something, try hydroxyzine instead.  It is a 1st generation antihistamine that does cross the blood brain barrier (unlike 2nd generation antihistamines like Zrytec and Benadryl) and is used to help sedate people prior to surgery!

It can treat anxiety, nausea, vomiting, allergies, skin rash, hives, and itching. It can also be used with anesthesia before medical procedures.

Thanks everyone. I think all sage advice. The trip which I speak of is to see family some of which I have not seen for some time.  They include my grandsons who I’ve not physically seen in over 2 years. When I travel I can get so stressed and that alone stresses out my wife. It’s actually better for all involved if I stay home but it deeply saddens me the thought of having to do so. My PCP thinks I should go back on an AD since I’ve been having so much trouble all around. My thoughts get pretty dark and lonely at times. I’m seeing a psychiatric NP to discuss the possibility though my tendency is to not do that either, but then I think maybe that might be best for me and everyone else. Anyway I agree that popping a valium to travel is a bad idea. Can’t believe I even thought of it after getting off a benzo that I was on for 20 years. I’m starting to think my brain has not and will never return to “normal” given how something as simple as traveling stresses me out so bad. Thanks for your help

Thanks everyone. I think all sage advice. The trip which I speak of is to see family some of which I have not seen for some time.  They include my grandsons who I’ve not physically seen in over 2 years. When I travel I can get so stressed and that alone stresses out my wife. It’s actually better for all involved if I stay home but it deeply saddens me the thought of having to do so. My PCP thinks I should go back on an AD since I’ve been having so much trouble all around. My thoughts get pretty dark and lonely at times. I’m seeing a psychiatric NP to discuss the possibility though my tendency is to not do that either, but then I think maybe that might be best for me and everyone else. Anyway I agree that popping a valium to travel is a bad idea. Can’t believe I even thought of it after getting off a benzo that I was on for 20 years. I’m starting to think my brain has not and will never return to “normal” given how something as simple as traveling stresses me out so bad. Thanks for your help

How far is it? Can you go but like just a few days? And like theway says bring a strong antihistamine? Sorry about not seeing your grandkids  :(

I can't tell you what you should do but personally, I could probably take one after so many years of not taking any if the trip was that important and it would not be a slippery slope for me given my particular mindset. It would be a one off type thing for me. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Benzos should never be banned. They have a valuable place in modern medicine. They should however never be used long-term to manage chronic medical conditions like panic, anxiety, and insomnia.

Heyilona: The trip is 3/4 way across the country from Oregon to Ohio with crappy airline schedules/connections. I hate flying in general, all the people, the rush, the crush as I call it. Delayed/canceled flights. Hate it!!!! Drives me nuts  :tickedoff:

Heyilona: The trip is 3/4 way across the country from Oregon to Ohio with crappy airline schedules/connections. I hate flying in general, all the people, the rush, the crush as I call it. Delayed/canceled flights. Hate it!!!! Drives me nuts  :tickedoff:

Can you pay their ticket do they so see you?

Can you pay their ticket do they so see you?

Wow, that is a great idea, heyilona. If you can't go to them, can they come to you? :)