Important Survey - Please Participate ×

The Long Hold Support Group

[os...]

In my situation, I need to be functional because I work full time.  A slow taper with incorporated holds is working well for me.  My first taper was a smooth one with no symptoms whatsoever when I jumped.  I was fully healed.  It took me over a year and a half to taper from 0.75 mg, but it was worth it as I felt good all the way down.  This taper will take me longer, but that is because I was symptomatic when I started.  If I had to do it over again, I would have started the taper at a higher dosage. Either that, or I would have held for much longer than I did.  I did up dose a month ago due experiencing some terrible physical symptoms that did not let up after a few weeks.  I am feeling much better now, and I will continue holding for another month. I want to get off this drug, but at the same time I need to live my life without debilitating symptoms. Much healing has taken place this last year.

Anne

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better now, Anne.

Gard :smitten:

Happy to say a good thing has developed..at least for today. Day 48 of my hold, My windows are still coming every evening from about 8 or 9:00 and staying with me until bedtime.

AND.....

Today my parathesia went away from about 1:30 in the afternoon and stayed away all day and into the night! Amazing! I actually felt like ME again! NORMAL!

I wonder what will happen tomorrow?

I know it could all come back, maybe it's just a big window. But it makes me happy.  I am sure glad that ValleyUm convinced me to keep holding.  (even though I nagged her and questioned her and was a real pain for the past few weeks.)

Now I am sure my brain is healing and my hold is the right thing to do.

I'm still holding at 50 days. THANK YOU  VALLEYUM, THANKYOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

That's wonderful, Heathcliff!

Dear Buddies,

I had to up dose recently as my Mother was dying. She has recovered a little and is in the final stages of chronic heart failure. I have decided to hold now until she passes. It could be a long time or a short time, I have no idea but I am back (on and off) in my family home with siblings and drama and stress again. This is not a situation I can avoid as my Mother and sister need my help. I am doing my best, finding it hard but trying to stay grounded.

I am back in my own home this week, tired and in need of support. Hubby is home on a week's holiday. I planned to go away for day trips etc. I feel guilty and wrong that I don't want to do anything, I just want calm. It is a bit unfair to hubby. I am doing my best but finding it hard this week.

The up dose to 4 mg helped a lot with sleep difficulties when in my family home. There is no point in cutting below 4 mg while in this difficult time. I will hold. I am minus 26 mg Valium. I have to focus on what I have done in the past 2 years. If it takes another year to cut 4 mgs, I don't mind. :thumbsup: I dose morning and evening.

Love to all buddies,

Moya XXX

(((Moya))) I remember going through a similar situation with my father dying and coping with my siblings' drama several years ago. It was rough. I can't imagine trying to cope with that during withdrawal. You are so wise to hold. Please take care of yourself. Sometimes we have to be our own guardian angels and this may be one of those times for you.

My warmest thoughts are with you during this hard time and always.

Appreciate everyone's input. Someone suggested crossing over to valium. Tried that once, I had a pretty bad reaction to  it. Also have tried long acting xanax about a year ago, it also was problematic. Won't go into the reasons, but crossing over made things worse. My doctor has settled on me just taking the xanax, and the seroquel, we have run the gamut of meds. These are the only 2 I get any benefit from (although I wouldn't call it a benefit.) Rephrase: These are the only 2 medications that my body can tolerate without things getting worse.

I am essentially parked in here, as opposed to running around to various boards with my fears and questions.

After evaluating all the responses, I decided to change my dosing a bit, starting with dose 3 and 4 last night, and see 1 this morning, will see how it goes.

Am I scared?Absolutely. Do I dread the day ahead? I do.

I am taking (1.25) mg per dose, and dropping the (.25) bumps, 4 times a day.

I suspect the doses that are making me feel worse, not better, are my bodies way of interpreting them as undermeds. No one here seemed to have experienced that, but it is that reaction which in the past led me to skip doses. When a dose makes me feel worse, not better, I simply am overwhelmed at the idea of taking more xanax once my time is up.

The (.25) bumps have not been helpful, so dropping those. Will take a (.25) if I feel I am headed into a deep episode between doses.

So, that ups my tally from 4.75 to 5.00.

I really hope this is better, both as far as how intense the w/d is, and drug stability.

I am scared, and I have anticipatory dread of what  the day has in store for me. As I am switching up dosing, I expect a transition period of who knows what.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Today is day 35 of this taper. Have not been as consistent as I could be,

Hoping the new plan is beneficial to my CNS.

Appreciate everyone's input. Someone suggested crossing over to valium. Tried that once, I had a pretty bad reaction to  it. Also have tried long acting xanax about a year ago, it also was problematic. Won't go into the reasons, but crossing over made things worse. My doctor has settled on me just taking the xanax, and the seroquel, we have run the gamut of meds. These are the only 2 I get any benefit from (although I wouldn't call it a benefit.) Rephrase: These are the only 2 medications that my body can tolerate without things getting worse.

I am essentially parked in here, as opposed to running around to various boards with my fears and questions.

After evaluating all the responses, I decided to change my dosing a bit, starting with dose 3 and 4 last night, and see 1 this morning, will see how it goes.

Am I scared?Absolutely. Do I dread the day ahead? I do.

I am taking (1.25) mg per dose, and dropping the (.25) bumps, 4 times a day.

I suspect the doses that are making me feel worse, not better, are my bodies way of interpreting them as undermeds. No one here seemed to have experienced that, but it is that reaction which in the past led me to skip doses. When a dose makes me feel worse, not better, I simply am overwhelmed at the idea of taking more xanax once my time is up.

The (.25) bumps have not been helpful, so dropping those. Will take a (.25) if I feel I am headed into a deep episode between doses.

So, that ups my tally from 4.75 to 5.00.

I really hope this is better, both as far as how intense the w/d is, and drug stability.

I am scared, and I have anticipatory dread of what  the day has in store for me. As I am switching up dosing, I expect a transition period of who knows what.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Today is day 35 of this taper. Have not been as consistent as I could be,

Hoping the new plan is beneficial to my CNS.

Hi Baddove. Th only thing I would recommend is being consistent in dosing. After you make the changes in dosing, hold long enough for your body to adjust. Try not to obsess or fear what will happen. Your body will figure it out in its own time so I would just try to relax, distract and do whatever you can to think of something other than withdrawal (I know how hard that is). You'll get where you want to be. At least you're being proactive and figuring out how your body responds to changes and it will serve you well going forward.  :)--V

In my situation, I need to be functional because I work full time.  A slow taper with incorporated holds is working well for me.  My first taper was a smooth one with no symptoms whatsoever when I jumped.  I was fully healed.  It took me over a year and a half to taper from 0.75 mg, but it was worth it as I felt good all the way down.  This taper will take me longer, but that is because I was symptomatic when I started.  If I had to do it over again, I would have started the taper at a higher dosage. Either that, or I would have held for much longer than I did.  I did up dose a month ago due experiencing some terrible physical symptoms that did not let up after a few weeks.  I am feeling much better now, and I will continue holding for another month. I want to get off this drug, but at the same time I need to live my life without debilitating symptoms. Much healing has taken place this last year.

Anne

Thank you Gardner.  It is not perfect, but I'll take it.  I hope that you are also continuing to see improvement. 

Enjoy the day!!

Anne :smitten: :smitten:

Anne

Thank you Gardner.  It is not perfect, but I'll take it.  I hope that you are also continuing to see improvement. 

Enjoy the day!!

Hi, Anne. Yes, mostly seeing improvement with some setbacks. I've posted a chemistry question over on the MT thread. Would you take a look? Thanks! :smitten:

Bad dove: I have the same problem.......whenever I first take my dose I feel worse...can't take it.... Please see my signature...it never agreed with me to begin with... Don't know what to do....

Intolerable symptoms.... Fight or flight all day long....

(was your greeting "Hell everyone.." a freudian slip??? ;D)

LOL Lynn33

That's funny. It surely could have been a Freudian slip. But it actually was a typo.

But you made me laugh! Thanks for that!    Heathcliff

I had the same thing happen with Valium - when I took it I felt worse.  One thing that helped is taking it with food. The other thing I can say is that as I got off of it I felt better - that is the 'full dose' made me feel worse.  What a nightmare these benzos are. 

Bad dove: I have the same problem.......whenever I first take my dose I feel worse...can't take it.... Please see my signature...it never agreed with me to begin with... Don't know what to do....

Finally, another person experiencing this. I am not happy you get this too, but I can't figure it out. Have researched, asked my doc, no one knows. I suspect  it's a drug that never agreed with me, and I should of never been on it. Too late now.

If ANYONE can find any material on this, it would be awesome. It really didn't start until I was a few weeks into xanax. It's not every dose, about half of them, all the very same dose. As i have begun tapering, it's getting more pronounced.

Finally, another person experiencing this. I am not happy you get this too, but I can't figure it out. Have researched, asked my doc, no one knows. I suspect  it's a drug that never agreed with me, and I should of never been on it. Too late now.

If ANYONE can find any material on this, it would be awesome. It really didn't start until I was a few weeks into xanax. It's not every dose, about half of them, all the very same dose. As i have begun tapering, it's getting more pronounced.

Yes... Bad dove I'm right where you are with this.....  I can't figure it out either and don't know how to stabilize if even possible.... Or what to do..... Unbearable suffering......

Hi Baddove. That was my experience with Xanax. I always felt worse after dosing. I've found Valium to be the same way when I started my taper but that seems to have resolved during the hold.  :)--V

Anne

Enjoy the day!!

Hi, Anne. Yes, mostly seeing improvement with some setbacks. I've posted a chemistry question over on the MT thread. Would you take a look? Thanks! :smitten:

Hi Gard,

I answered your question on the micro tapering board.  I do think the mortar and pestle will be a good way to do this.

Re: benzo doses making us feel much worse: Finally, some discourse on this phenomena. I hope we get an answer. Early on, I was given valiumr before xanax, I experienced this phenomena with every valium dose, thus, was switched to xanax. Seems to me, in hindsight, that my body responded terribly to benzos, it should of been evident to my doctor. The xanax was never great, at any time.But, my anxiety disorder was so out of control, I was grateful for the help it gave. It  never seemed to affect me in a pleasant way. For, example, I would never take it recreationally, because it just didn't feel good.

This could all be irrelevant however, unanswered querry:  why do some doses of benzos, all the same, all as sceduled, actually make us feel worse the entire time they are active in our bodies? The affect is WORSE than the anxiety, and is different  than rebound or interdose w/d.

I think someone will see this eventually who figured out wtf this is. Or if enough of us step forward, maybe we can figure it out.

Anne

Enjoy the day!!

Hi Gard,

I answered your question on the micro tapering board.  I do think the mortar and pestle will be a good way to do this.

Thanks, Anne. I got it, and then I asked you fussy questions about the mortar and pestle!

I'm planning to have some dry cut pills ready in case I mess up but first try the suspension tomorrow night!

I've already survived liquifying some of my Librium and had a bit of a hit from that but am getting better (knock wood). If I get the Q into liquid form also, I figure I will be in better shape to eventually start up my chicken-turtle taper.

Whodathunk holding could be so complicated?  ::)

Anne

Enjoy the day!!

Hi Gard,

Thanks, Anne. I got it, and then I asked you fussy questions about the mortar and pestle!

I'm planning to have some dry cut pills ready in case I mess up but first try the suspension tomorrow night!

I've already survived liquifying some of my Librium and had a bit of a hit from that but am getting better (knock wood). If I get the Q into liquid form also, I figure I will be in better shape to eventually start up my chicken-turtle taper.

Whodathunk holding could be so complicated?  ::)

Just make sure you shake the liquid well before measuring out your dose.  I think you have a good plan though. 

Please let me know how it goes.

Enjoy the evening,

Anne  :smitten:

Re: benzo doses making us feel much worse: Finally, some discourse on this phenomena. I hope we get an answer. Early on, I was given valiumr before xanax, I experienced this phenomena with every valium dose, thus, was switched to xanax. Seems to me, in hindsight, that my body responded terribly to benzos, it should of been evident to my doctor. The xanax was never great, at any time.But, my anxiety disorder was so out of control, I was grateful for the help it gave. It  never seemed to affect me in a pleasant way. For, example, I would never take it recreationally, because it just didn't feel good.

This could all be irrelevant however, unanswered querry:  why do some doses of benzos, all the same, all as sceduled, actually make us feel worse the entire time they are active in our bodies? The affect is WORSE than the anxiety, and is different  than rebound or interdose w/d.

I think someone will see this eventually who figured out wtf this is. Or if enough of us step forward, maybe we can figure it out.

Bad dove..... We are kindred spirits on this......everything you have written is exactly what my experience with benzos has been like and how I felt on them....EXACTLY.....

I was never really sure how to explain it but I feel less alone that its not just me.... Thank you so much for sharing because I never really found anyone else on here that was quite experiencing this in the same way we are....or maybe its because I just didnt know how to put this into words....

But nonetheless so grateful there are people on here with kind hearts and wisdom trying to pull us thru  this......

Bad dove..... We are kindred spirits on this......everything you have written is exactly what my experience with benzos has been like and how I felt on them....EXACTLY.....

I was never really sure how to explain it but I feel less alone that its not just me.... Thank you so much for sharing because I never really found anyone else on here that was quite experiencing this in the same way we are....or maybe its because I just didnt know how to put this into words....

But nonetheless so grateful there are people on here with kind hearts and wisdom trying to pull us thru  this......

I'm in the same boat. Xanax had a strange effect on me from day one. I was irritable, angry and couldn't sleep. Valium was the opposite. I was hyper to the point of being ADHD when it should have been more sedating. If I had read the insert on Valium I wouldn't be in this mess. The insert states that if Valium causes this kind of reaction when taking it, to stop immediately and contact your doctor. Benzos are strange drugs. It's too bad they are so often used longer than a few weeks. I planned on being on Valium my whole life for a rare pain condition until I realized it was causing more health issues than it was treating lol. We will all get off even if it takes years. I'm starting to wonder if those who had a paradoxical reaction initially are set up to have a more difficult time getting off...  Just thinking out loud. Thank heavens holding will alleviate most if not all of the withdrawal sxs. Hope all have a huge window today!  :)--V

I'm in the same boat. Xanax had a strange effect on me from day one. I was irritable, angry and couldn't sleep. Valium was the opposite. I was hyper to the point of being ADHD when it should have been more sedating. If I had read the insert on Valium I wouldn't be in this mess. The insert states that if Valium causes this kind of reaction when taking it, to stop immediately and contact your doctor. Benzos are strange drugs. It's too bad they are so often used longer than a few weeks. I planned on being on Valium my whole life for a rare pain condition until I realized it was causing more health issues than it was treating lol. We will all get off even if it takes years. I'm starting to wonder if those who had a paradoxical reaction initially are set up to have a more difficult time getting off...  Just thinking out loud. Thank heavens holding will alleviate most if not all of the withdrawal sxs. Hope all have a huge window today!  :)--V

V- that's exactly what happened with me with the  kolonopin..... With reading the insert and what it said....... Too late though...... I still don't understand if your paradoxical how holding could help and gosh I hope its not true it would be harder to get off....I would think it would be easier.....but if it helped you .... I'm praying.... I've read of others who tapered down and said they felt better too... :-\

Valium (Diazepam) also made me high and the dick head Doctors kept saying that was because the dose was too low and putting it up all the time :tickedoff: :The big warning I saw about Valium was avoid alcohol not ''This drug will fk your life up for half of it, then screw you again trying to get off of It. And taking Temazepam PRN is NOT harmless like the Doctors told you, and neither is CT and dose being put up and down while more Benzos are being swapped,, stopped or doses put up. I wasn't aware I was on  few Benzos at the same time either, or that you should NOT be prescribed opiate pain killers while in Benzos. You name an opiate I was on it in BIG doses, and the hospital injected me with various opiates including heroin ( Diamorphine) lots of times. I'm gonna stop thinking I'm getting mighty angry now >:D  :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Love Nova xxx :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Some Saturday propaganda.  :)--V

"Just be careful in your taper off the clonazepam.  If your dizziness and other symptoms increase or are more disturbing, do not be afraid to hold the taper so that you don't suffer in the process."

"When doing a microtaper (smaller cuts but more frequently) people can get ahead of their brain's ability to remodel itself.  The time it takes a brain to heal and remodel, to build new receptors and remove old ones, to turn genes on and off, et cetera, is just not something that we can control or change.

I generally encourage people who are microtapering to continue to take intermittent longer holds throughout their taper, just to make sure the brain healing is keeping up with the cuts they are making."

"Just be careful in your taper off the clonazepam.  If your dizziness and other symptoms increase or are more disturbing, do not be afraid to hold the taper so that you don't suffer in the process."

"When doing a microtaper (smaller cuts but more frequently) people can get ahead of their brain's ability to remodel itself.  The time it takes a brain to heal and remodel, to build new receptors and remove old ones, to turn genes on and off, et cetera, is just not something that we can control or change.

I generally encourage people who are microtapering to continue to take intermittent longer holds throughout their taper, just to make sure the brain healing is keeping up with the cuts they are making."

Thank you my friend... The akasthesia is pretty high right now after dosing.... Can't calm down..... But so glad you and others are here..... (((.      )))))

Thank you my friend... The akasthesia is pretty high right now after dosing.... Can't calm down..... But so glad you and others are here..... (((.      )))))

Hang in there Please!  :thumbsup:

Hang in there Please!  :thumbsup:

With everyone's help....

[2a...]