Want to go cold turkey

[Do...]

Thanks for your advice.  The only reason I got the pills yesterday is in case of emergency if I faint, but I took one out of the bottle and took it.  My brother is guarding the pills so I have a choice of tapering to one a day or going cold turkey. I told him I would try not to take 1/2 in the morning for anxiety and 1/2 to go to sleep.  The reason I want to quit is I was running out all the time and being forced to go cold turkey which caused extreme panic and insomnia and also it is causing premature wrinkles and puffy eyes.  I have gone this morning without a 1/2 a pill.  The only symptom I have is confusion and some anxiety.

Dom,  maybe you're confused about how Benzos work?  They won't help you if you faint.  They actually slow down your nervous system and make you calm and relaxed, so if you fainted, they wouldn't bring you out of it, they would only make you more out of it.  That is why they highly recommend not taking them with alcohol as alcohol also works on GABA and can intensify the effect!

If you are going to taper, please follow an approved taper method.  That means cutting no more than 5-10% of your current dose every few weeks, not 1/2 pill per day.

Take care!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Do...]

• [Pa...]

• [Be...]

• [Pe...]

Dom, it sounds like you need to break off all contact with your family members and your brother's gf.  They sound very toxic to you.  Don't you have a friend you can call who will be sympathetic and supportive? 

Dom, it sounds like you need to break off all contact with your family members and your brother's gf.  They sound very toxic to you.  Don't you have a friend you can call who will be sympathetic and supportive?

Becksblue, how members choose to nagivate personal relationships is up to the individual and recommendations should not be made by members to others members to sever family ties.  We can share our own personal experiences if we choose to and how we handle them but we do not tell others what to do.

The worst symptom for me was the anxiety, as well. 24/7 anxiety and WAY different than any panic/anxiety I’ve ever felt in my life. So bad that getting out of bed to use the restroom was terrifying. Everything felt scary and there was no talking myself down from any of it. At least with normal anxiety, it stops after a while. It might be horrible and super scary, but I think most people can say that the anxiety they experienced from w/d was unlike anything they’d ever felt before.

Either way, whatever you choose to do, talk it over with your doctor if you can. Stay safe! I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

I think you are right Anna. I'm in a bad place myself right now at about 1 month off but trying not to give in. But it is very difficult.

I know but try to hang in there. This process can break the strongest among us.

• Popular Now