Want to go cold turkey

[Do...]

Hey there! Benzo WD is almost always going to equal no sleep!

But like pamster was saying....your body does do micro sleeps and it will keep operating. You will feel like utter garbage, but it is survivable! The body is somehow able to endure way more than we ever think possible. I kept thinking there was no possible way for a human to keep going with 2-3 nights of zero sleep and then only sleep an hour....then repeat that again and again and again.  I just didn't think anyone could survive it....but I did. And so have others. I don't know how, but we do. Once you realize that you are not gonna die from it ...well, then you realize that your body will just keep surviving until it's sleep patterns return. It's crazy, but it happens.

Also, I'm wondering why you didnt try a planned taper since you already know that previous withdrawals drove you to reinstate?

If you do reinstate, you might wanna try a planned taper because it could be that you would tolerate it better, since a CT is always going to produce harsh symptoms. Tapers and can too, but they have better statistics.

If you wanna stick to this CT we will support you and say that you can make it, because you can!!!! But if you reinstate and taper, we will support you there as well. Either way ok!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Do...]

• [Pa...]

• [Be...]

• [Pe...]

Thanks for your replies.  I slept food last night.  I slept from 7pm to 5am.  I woke up a few times exhausted , but went back to sleep.  I didn't think I would be able to sleep without pills.  I have anxiety this morning and want my pill.

I have to travel home tomorrow to do some errands.  I don't know what to do about reinstating or not.

I can't think today and having anxiety.  I don't know if it's the withdrwals.  I don't know whether to reinstate.

My sister got mad and told me off because I told her about the pills and my anxiety.  My pastor got mad and nasty to me in a text.  Someone told me I need to get a new counselor.  I want to go visit my sister as I haven't seen her in a year and half.  She keeps saying she is going to move away so she will be to far to visit if she does.  I might start on my pills today or tomorrow as I need to be able to think.

Dom, why are so many people wanting to avoid you and are being nasty?  What are you saying to them to set them off?  Sorry about your family trying to avoid you.  And a pastor who is nasty, well, of course, that's not alright at all.

I hope you can stay away from more pills, you've been doing go good.  I predict your relationships will thrive once you're off of the drugs.

This is my fourth or 5th night with no sleeping pill and I can't sleep.  It is almost 11pm and I have been up since 5am.  I have to get up at 5am as I have to travel 2hours to go home at 5am and afraid I will be up all night.  I tried an over the counter pill put its not working.  I was up half the night for 4 nights and slept one night.  Some of my postings are not going through as I posted my withdrawal symptoms, but they are not on here..

Hi Dom, I’m not sure of your story but but do you think it is wise to drive when you are so tired?  Could you give yourself a break for a few days until you can get a bit of rest or sleep? Just a caring concern from me.

I was going to take a pill as soon as I got my pills, but I couldn't do it to my brother again.  I went home and I went back to my brother's, but he made me give him the pills.  I don't know what to do as I kept one to take and I can't think without them.  I don't know if it's right that they made me give them pills as they may not give me any if I want one.

Sometimes we need help finding our strength, I think your brother is doing you a favor by taking your pills, one day I hope you can thank him when you're free of this terrible drug.

I did take one rescue dose as I couldn't think about what to do about everything.  I told him I would try not to take any in the a.m. for anxiety or to sleep.  I told him he must give me one a day if I ask as I must quit out of choice or I won't quit., but I am going to pretty much go without them for sleep or anxiety anymore.  I just hope I don't get withdrawals again for just taking one. 

1st day cold turkey.  I was on my 5th day cold turkey, but have to start over Day 1 as I took a rescue dose because I couldn't think at all what was best for me.  I have to go to sleep with no pill as I took the rescue dose in the morning.  My brother has my pills and will give me 1 a day if I ask, but I am going to try to go without any for sleep or anxiety.  I need Ativan for when I travel though because I get severe anxiety with no pill at all if I go home alone to my apartment or go to my sister's.

Hi Dom. I understand your situation. But if you take a pill, you're back to square one again. And then you can feel even worse. So either lower the dose, or no pills at all.

But maybe I'm wrong? Anyone else with good advice?  :)

I think you are right Anna. I'm in a bad place myself right now at about 1 month off but trying not to give in. But it is very difficult.

Your right I have to start over.  I could have asked my brother for a pill last night to go to sleep, but I didn't.  I slept through the night with no pill to sleep, but today is the restart of a day without pills in the morning for anxiety.  I thought I could survive without a pill in the morning for anxiety or a pill to go to sleep.  However, it is too hard to go home alone as it is a 3 hour trip to go home.  Yesterday, I traveled home.  A lady gave me a ride.  The traveling and going home gave me so much anxiety that I had to take that one pill when I got back to my brother's.  I need a doctor that will give me Ativan when I travel or am alone only so I am not tempted to take a sleeping pill.  The sleeping pills are what make my skin bad and swollen under eyes.

IMO and from what I read on this forum over the past 5+ years is that starting and stopping Benzos (or Z-drugs) resets your healing timeline and could lead to "kindling" where each future use of Benzos makes for a potentially worse WD (and symptoms). 

It's best to do a slow taper or stay with your CT.  "Rescue Doses" are not advised.  The best thing to do is to get rid of all of your Benzos, so you can't take another rescue dose in a moment of weakness.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice.  The only reason I got the pills yesterday is in case of emergency if I faint, but I took one out of the bottle and took it.  My brother is guarding the pills so I have a choice of tapering to one a day or going cold turkey. I told him I would try not to take 1/2 in the morning for anxiety and 1/2 to go to sleep.  The reason I want to quit is I was running out all the time and being forced to go cold turkey which caused extreme panic and insomnia and also it is causing premature wrinkles and puffy eyes.  I have gone this morning without a 1/2 a pill.  The only symptom I have is confusion and some anxiety. 

Dom

If you choose to go Ct then know that it is going to be hard for sometime before it very slowly gets easier.  But in time you will heal.  You are going to have symptoms either way.  Going back on and off or continuing to take rescue doses is IMO prolonging your pain.    Have your brother make his own account on BB so he can ask questions and get support.  If you can’t do a ct without rescue doses, maybe you and your brother can come up with a slow taper.  You need a plan either way and stick to it.  There is no quick fix.  Distracting yourself any way you can is what I had to do.  Hope you heal quickly!

U

Your right I have to start over.  I could have asked my brother for a pill last night to go to sleep, but I didn't.  I slept through the night with no pill to sleep, but today is the restart of a day without pills in the morning for anxiety.  I thought I could survive without a pill in the morning for anxiety or a pill to go to sleep.  However, it is too hard to go home alone as it is a 3 hour trip to go home.  Yesterday, I traveled home.  A lady gave me a ride.  The traveling and going home gave me so much anxiety that I had to take that one pill when I got back to my brother's. I need a doctor that will give me Ativan when I travel or am alone only so I am not tempted to take a sleeping pill.  The sleeping pills are what make my skin bad and swollen under eyes.

Sorry if I have misunderstood .. ?  But Ativan is also a sleeping pill and Benzo. 

"Ativan is used to treat anxiety symptoms and insomnia (trouble sleeping). It's also given before surgery to make you sleep."

Maybe you should talk to a doctor, because we don't know your underlying problems?  :)

IMHO you're playing with fire here. You are either going to stop CT or taper, then once off you need to stay off. Rescue doses, or doses to travel with will eventually bite you on the arse. Things could get much worse for you once kindled.

Your right I couldn't go cold turkey with my brother having the pills, because then I just ask for some.  I decided to taper.  I am just going to take.5 pill for anxiety and none to sleep as I have been sleeping okay without them.  I will try to reduce to a quarter after some time.  My worst symtom is the anxiety.  My brother said I was out of control it rhats why I took a half.  I am just upset because my sister stopped listening to my complaints about my brothers Girlfriend being abusive and told me to listen to her.  Also, she keeps discouraging me from my dream of getting a job and living near her because she doesn't want to help me.