Just started my crossover

[mr...]

Moving from Klonopin to Valium.

How was your experience and was crossong over easier than expected?

Here is what I am going to do.

AT START

8 AM - 0.25mg K

2 PM - 0.25mg K

BED - 0.25mg K

BEGIN CROSSOVER

7 Days

8 AM - 5mg V

2 PM - 0.25mg K

BED - 0.25mg K

Hold 1 week

7 Days

8 AM - 5mg V

2 PM - 5mg V

BED - 0.25mg K

Hold 1 week

7 Days

8 AM - 5mg V

2 PM - 5mg V

BED - 5mg V

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [mr...]

• [Pa...]

• [sl...]

• [Li...]

I see posts where people take half Valium and half K during crossover but I don’t want to  do that. 

I want to replace each K dose at a time with V instead.

Would this be an issue?  Has anyone did it like this?

I am going to see if I can tolerate a Valium crossover.  I have read Dr. Reg Peart's notes on a more rapid crossover and want to get some input from those who have successfully crossed from K to V and/or may have crossed over more rapidly than Ashton recommends.

http://www.drregpeart.org/  (See Dr. Reg Peart's Notes on Sample Taper)

There is an option to substitute 2.5 mg V for 0.125 mg K every other day beginning with the nightly dose but I don’t want to do that. I want to change out doses without splitting / combining.

Does the below look ok?

Current Dose (K): 

0.25 mg AM

0.25 mg  Afternoon

0.25 mg    Bedtime

Crossover Plan:

BEGIN CROSSOVER

7 Days

9 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 0.25mg K

BED - 0.25mg K

Hold 1 week

7 Days

9 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 5mg V

BED - 0.25mg K

Hold 1 week

7 Days

8 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 5mg V

BED - 5mg V

To my knowledge, we don’t have any currently active members who are using Dr. Peart’s approach.  However, you might find posts from previously active members by using the Search function.

I see posts where people take half Valium and half K during crossover but I don’t want to  do that. 

I want to replace each K dose at a time with V instead.

Would this be an issue?  Has anyone did it like this?

I am going to see if I can tolerate a Valium crossover.  I have read Dr. Reg Peart's notes on a more rapid crossover and want to get some input from those who have successfully crossed from K to V and/or may have crossed over more rapidly than Ashton recommends.

http://www.drregpeart.org/  (See Dr. Reg Peart's Notes on Sample Taper)

There is an option to substitute 2.5 mg V for 0.125 mg K every other day beginning with the nightly dose but I don’t want to do that. I want to change out doses without splitting / combining.

Does the below look ok?

Current Dose (K): 

0.25 mg AM

0.25 mg  Afternoon

0.25 mg    Bedtime

Crossover Plan:

BEGIN CROSSOVER

7 Days

9 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 0.25mg K

BED - 0.25mg K

Hold 1 week

7 Days

9 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 5mg V

BED - 0.25mg K

Hold 1 week

7 Days

8 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 5mg V

BED - 5mg V

When I did a crossover I was at .25mg K so I crossed over in about 3 days.  I was really struggling on K and the V was a huge relief to my system,  I felt better immediately and didn’t want to wait. 

I am switching from Klonopin to valium and always wonder why they start with the night dose first.

Is it ok to substitute morning dose first?  See below

.25mg Klonopin 3x per day to Valium 5mg 3x per day. 

Week\ Dose  AM  PM  BED

1.        V    K    K

2.        V    V    K

3.        V    V    V

Is there really any difference between these two?  Can’t you just swap one of them out and replace it with the other and then hold?

9 AM - 5mg V

3 PM - 0.25mg K

BED - 0.25mg K

VS

9 AM - 2.5mg V/.125mg K

3 PM - 0.25mg K

BED - 0.25mg K

I am wondering the same thing  Mrcybershow. I am currently on .125mg of lorazapam in the  morning and .125mg of lorazapam in  the evening.

I was wondering  if I could just switch my evening  dose to valium and just do it that way. Can't seem to get an answer  though.  My Dr. is  no help she told me to just take 1mg of valium and that is it. 1mg doesn't even cover 1 of my doses of the lorazapam. I called and told her this and she told me to stay on the lorazapam and make another appt. and she will figure out what dose of valium. Well it is not that hard  to figure out, it clearly states it in the Ashton manuel.  UGH!!!!  I am going to try it myself with  replacing my evening dose with 1mg of valium. My Dr. probably  won't  be  happy but the longer  I am on this crap the more my tolerance is building.  Good luck to you!!!!

Currently on .25mg Klonopin 3x a day.

I was on Valium for nine years daily (only at night) before being switched over to Klonopin.

I’ve been on Klonopin for 2 months now. 

I’m really nervous about a crossover and could use some reassurance because I do not like Klonopin.

I’m currently on Klonopin and want to switch to Valium.

What if I want to stay on / keep taking Valium, do I still have to crossover the same way?

My updated schedule. Look ok?

9am 3pm BED

Week 1 .125 K/2.5 V .25 K .25 K

Week 2 5mg V .25 K .25 K

Week 3 5mg V .125 K/2.5V .25 K

Week 4 5mg V .125 K/2.5V .125 K/2.5V

Week 5 5mg V 5mg V .125 K/2.5V

Week 6 5mg V 5mg V 5mg V

You've made great progress tapering Klonopin so far mrcybershow!  Switching to Valium gets mixed reviews here.  Many if not most of our members taper off directly from the med they are currently taking, me included.  When my dose got low like yours, I switched to a liquid taper and although I didn't want to, I found it more manageable than I had anticipated.  Have you considered staying with Klonopin?

I apologize, I lost sight of your first post where you said you planned to stay on benzos.  I can only theorize about a switch but it likely would be best to do a gradual one rather than an abrupt one.  There are two things to consider and one is the comfort of the switch and the other is safety.  If you get in the ballpark of the same dose, safety should be okay.  The comfort is another matter ...

I don't know if you have seen this but The Ashton Manual has an equivalency chart in the first Chapter which you might need to take to your prescribing doctor:

The Ashton Manual

I will add this and that is that you've been on either benzos and or z-drugs long enough that you may have reached tolerance like I did.  If that is the case, more or different won't help or will only help briefly and coming off entirely is the only answer.

It looks like you've decided to take the Valium and Klonopin at the same time, something I thought you were trying to avoid, do you feel okay about it now?

• 3 weeks later...

I take .25mg Klonopin three times a day.

I just took half Klonopin And half Valium for my morning dose. 

I’m nervous.  I was on Valium for nine years daily before being switched to Klonopin.  I hope I react OK going back to Valium. 

I just started my crossover.

I take .25mg Klonopin three times a day.

I just took half Klonopin And half Valium for my morning dose. 

I’m nervous.  I was on Valium for nine years daily before being switched to Klonopin.  I hope I react OK going back to Valium.