Ativan crossover to Valium

[...]

My crossover worked out well, Joeb. The actual cross was a bit rough as the long-term benzo struggled to "cover" for the absence of the short-term benzo, but once I was fully crossed over (I followed Ashton's schedule) things were so much better.

I couldn't have tapered from Ativan. Many have, but it was the interdose w/ds that got to me.

Sounds like you are launched on the right road.

Best to you

:smitten:

Katz

Thanks for the reply Katz I really hope so I just started my second substitution week and I can already feel some withdrawl. Hopefully it does not get too bad

Thanks Slow I get it,

Have great news my doc finally agreed to support my crossover I think I wore him down

I appreciate all your support!!!

I'm glad to hear you have an option to move forward with the support of your medical provider.

Thanks for the reply Katz I really hope so I just started my second substitution week and I can already feel some withdrawl. Hopefully it does not get too bad

I suggest holding at each crossover step until you fully recover from any increase in symptom severity before taking the next step. I'm grateful that you're hearing from Katz who has valuable experience to share.

You'll get this!  :thumbsup:

I have a question if my symptoms worsen and I’ve already taken the second week crossover step can I overlap the Ativan dose meaning don’t delete the second Ativan dose but keep the added Valium dose? And then remove it when I stabilize?

Simple answer, you can but you're taking an updose; I do not recommend this approach unless you are severely compromised. A crossover is when a benzo is substituted for an estimated equivalent of another benzo; adding without subtracting is not crossing.

It is extremely likely that you symptoms will intensify temporarily with each step of the crossover, possibly for days or even a couple weeks. I suggest doing your best to take care of yourself during this transition, and using non-medicated coping strategies and skill-building opportunities to get through this. If the symptoms are too severe it may be possible to take more steps and thus smaller steps, to mitigate their impact. But overall, I think there will be some discomfort and what you can do to live with this will go a long way towards your greater goals.

Keep us posted!  :thumbsup:

It is extremely likely that you symptoms will intensify temporarily with each step of the crossover, possibly for days or even a couple weeks. I suggest doing your best to take care of yourself during this transition, and using non-medicated coping strategies and skill-building opportunities to get through this. If the symptoms are too severe it may be possible to take more steps and thus smaller steps, to mitigate their impact. But overall, I think there will be some discomfort and what you can do to live with this will go a long way towards your greater goals.

Words of wisdom! Crossovers are a bit rough at times. After all, you're asking a log-acting benzo to take the place of your short-acting benzo . . . and the two aren't "in synch". Valium takes awhile to build up in your system and "cover" for what the Ativan was doing..

The first part of my crossover was hard, the latter steps not so hard. But I hung in because even the hard parts of the cross were more tolerable than that awful interdose w/d I experienced on Ativan. Also I had faith that Ashton knew what she was doing when she designed her crossover schedules. I was right to believe. Things did get better.

So,  can you just hang in there and try some time-honored coping strategies (I watched a ton of sf reruns on my Kindle, started journaling, learned to meditate, listened to anxiety-reducing CDs, walked a lot, and started seeing a very helpful therapist). Youtube has a ton of distracting/calming music and probably lots of uplifting videos (I never investigated them but undoubtedly there are lots). I learned plenty on my cross and on my taper -- specifically about how to deal with anxiety, and how to tolerate loony bodily s/x. I use what I learned then every day now.

When you are completely crossed over, I believe things will be a great deal better for you. At least they were for me.

Best to you,

Katz

Thanks to both of you Slow and Katz

I am really having a tough time.crossover sometimes mentally feels like I’m going backwards after being so low on Ativan but like you Katz the inertdose W/d was horrific

Trying to keep busy but feeling depressed and anxious makes it hard as you both know.

• 1 month later...

Words of wisdom! Crossovers are a bit rough at times. After all, you're asking a log-acting benzo to take the place of your short-acting benzo . . . and the two aren't "in synch". Valium takes awhile to build up in your system and "cover" for what the Ativan was doing..

The first part of my crossover was hard, the latter steps not so hard. But I hung in because even the hard parts of the cross were more tolerable than that awful interdose w/d I experienced on Ativan. Also I had faith that Ashton knew what she was doing when she designed her crossover schedules. I was right to believe. Things did get better.

So,  can you just hang in there and try some time-honored coping strategies (I watched a ton of sf reruns on my Kindle, started journaling, learned to meditate, listened to anxiety-reducing CDs, walked a lot, and started seeing a very helpful therapist). Youtube has a ton of distracting/calming music and probably lots of uplifting videos (I never investigated them but undoubtedly there are lots). I learned plenty on my cross and on my taper -- specifically about how to deal with anxiety, and how to tolerate loony bodily s/x. I use what I learned then every day now.

When you are completely crossed over, I believe things will be a great deal better for you. At least they were for me.

Best to you,

Katz

Hi Katz it says you pm might be off so I’m sending this thru an existing posting

I’m having trouble deciding how to start my taper since I crossed over 7 weeks ago, wanted to know how you started your DLMT as far as getting used to liquid and how you reduced and held, can you provide this info ? I’m in a quandary, have been given other options by buddies but would like to hear your experience.