lorazepam withdrawl

[wh...]

Dear white

Most of us have made mistakes in our doses and our tapering because we didn't know what benzos were. Please don't beat yourself up over that. It causes unnecessary stress and after all there's nothing you can do about it now.

In my case there were times I forgot to take my pills. When I came off benzos the first time I  cut by 75% because I didn't know anything. After  a couple of weeks I had to updose. Then on my doctors advice I my second cut was 50%. It was horrible. Once again after 3 weeks had to updose. Then I found this forum and I started my taper the correct way. Despite everything I did wrong I'm fairly functional and my taper is going well. You will be okay. No matter what. It might be a bumpy road but you can do it!

Try not to over think everything. It very helpful to recovery to have a positive mindset. You are all set now with a starting plan from Slow to get stabilized and that's a great first step. I'm so glad hubby is around to help you.

Now just focus on everything you're doing right!!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [wh...]

• [sl...]

• [je...]

• [Pa...]

slow.................. I do have a couple questions.  I will continue to withdraw I don't wanna crossover....... as of what I think right now.  but is it nessessary to go back up to my original 6 mg or can I go half way between last sundays number you figured correctly for me and bump it up just a bit more, ..... I have never has a dose adage to the original sunscription.  and like a dummy I never did any drugs to even know about a scale so that is why my iradict cuts that I thought were spot on by eyeballing them.  I feel great today and slept good last night.  I have read both ways about a failed attempt should go back up to original dose prescribed but my whole time has never been the full 3 mgs, now to find out.  it says 3 a day or one half as needed.  but several months back when is started feeling bad not eating no appetite isolation embarrassed and guilty for everything I knew something was not right but right away they want to up the dose.  I never allowed that.  and I agree, I need to stabilize and toss that 2 am out.  so....................... just your humble opinion on an inbetween dose to feel better for a cople weeks or just stay and tough it out.  will I go into a seizure at such a big cut or what is the drawback...... thank you for your time  and ps I am getting around better, and finding you on the special thread made for me is awesome! thanks to all and I bet my head is in the middle of a target get gummy bears thrown at it!!!!!!!!!

Jelly....................... thanks for all the help and patients you have with me.  I am feeling a bit more relaxed here, but really don't want to go back up to my full dose after 5 days of iradict tapers anyways.  but will do what slow says.  had a good day , no headache ate a few bites, fed the bees, picked cucumbers and cryed because at my age, I should be really enjoying life and family.  for living the tea toadling life I did, I sure ended up in a sinking boat not getting a dam high out of it, only fighting for survival.  but I mad e a good friend and she says its time to cut the past and leave it there, look ahead and get busy.... every day is one day closer.  I will wait to hear from slow on what he thinks and then it will begin.  once again, I bet I broke the record on being in trouble over a 48 hr period of tie, didn't mean to but showed me what ya'llare made of!!!  good people here.  thank you

slow.................. I do have a couple questions.  I will continue to withdraw I don't wanna crossover....... as of what I think right now.  but is it nessessary to go back up to my original 6 mg or can I go half way between last sundays number you figured correctly for me and bump it up just a bit more, ..... I have never has a dose adage to the original sunscription.  and like a dummy I never did any drugs to even know about a scale so that is why my iradict cuts that I thought were spot on by eyeballing them.  I feel great today and slept good last night.  I have read both ways about a failed attempt should go back up to original dose prescribed but my whole time has never been the full 3 mgs, now to find out.  it says 3 a day or one half as needed.  but several months back when is started feeling bad not eating no appetite isolation embarrassed and guilty for everything I knew something was not right but right away they want to up the dose.  I never allowed that.  and I agree, I need to stabilize and toss that 2 am out.  so....................... just your humble opinion on an inbetween dose to feel better for a cople weeks or just stay and tough it out.  will I go into a seizure at such a big cut or what is the drawback...... thank you for your time  and ps I am getting around better, and finding you on the special thread made for me is awesome! thanks to all and I bet my head is in the middle of a target get gummy bears thrown at it!!!!!!!!!

You're doing awesome white river; I'm so glad to hear you're navigating the forum better.

I was only suggesting 6mg because that's what you'd said was your previous dose. Please choose the dosage that you would like to take. Whatever you were on before your cut last Sunday would likely suffice for the purposes of stabilizing, as long as you have a reliable way to take this dosage. i.e. I think cutting 1/6th of a milligram with scissors from 2mg tablets (that's trying to get 1/12th of a tablet) is NOT a reliable option for dosing.

I suggest cutting tablets into 1/4s at most; with 2mg tablets that is 0.5mg increments. That means I'm suggesting a daily dose of either 6mg, 5.5mg, 5mg or 4.5mg; whatever you choose, you'll need to decide how you want this total divided up during the day, but again, I suggest only dividing by 1/4 tablet intervals at most. This is just my suggestion.

An example for 5mg could be...

8am 1mg (1/2 tablet)

2pm 1mg (1/2 tablet)

8pm 1.5mg (3/4 tablet)

2am 1.5mg (3/4 tablet)

I threw the 5mg dosage schedule up as an example because you seem to be doing better today and maybe need dosage consistency more than a higher dose. You can easily add 0.5mg (1/4 tablet) to one of the daytime doses suggested if you think you need 5.5mg, and/or move the whole lot around to your liking. You're going to be the best judge of what works for you.

Since you're interested in ditching the 2am I have a suggested approach for you to consider later; but let's not put the cart before the horse! In my experience, neurological stability seems to come much easier with consistency of both dosage and dosing times. So once you've picked a dose and adapted it to your schedule, I suggest going a week or so to stabilize before making any changes to your dosing schedule. Schedule changes, in my experience, can cause withdrawal symptoms.

My suggestions are: Please choose your dose, and choose your dosing schedule. I'd appreciate knowing what you decide. Start a daily dosage and symptom journal, if you can. And then just keep us updated on your successes, your dosing, and when you feel stable enough to take next steps.

Also I'll get email notifications whenever you post here, and Jelly Baby and so many other wise and talented buddies are watching over this thread.

You'll get this!  :thumbsup:

ok while your still here, I have been told by many once your on a dose you will screw everything up if u updose and the only way to fix it is if you go to original dose.  so we are going to figure a dose and scd as high as I feel I can stand and stick with it but the last 4 days have been unbearable.  I thought I was taking one daily dose and you refigured and I was of. got the scales and work well.  so........ is it wise to up the dose just a bump, will it mess me up or will it wreck my whole taper  or should I try to tough it out and not change.  honestly I don't think I can handle the big 24 percent cut but I don't want to start back at 6mg every day.  and will my taper be successful if I change it a little this time and ride it out for a couple weeks because I really think I am in tolerance withdrawl and have been for months, just to dumb to know whats going on.  so.................... I will wait to hear and we got our journal and all we need to get started......... thanks

Hi white

Generally the best chance at succeeding at a taper is starting from a place of stability. I had to updose twice if that gives you any consolation.

You don't have to go back to 6mg unless you feel 6mg is the dose that will stabilize you. Ideally you want to look at updosing to the lowest dose where you think you will feel functional and fairly "good".

Unfortunately no one can guess that for you. You are the only one that knows your body therefore you have to guess what the best dose is to get you functional. You also don't want to be scared and go too low because it might end up not having any effect. In the end you want to trust your judgment and just go with what feels right for you and try it.

Does that help?

White river, I'm glad to hear you have a journal and the scales are working well for you.

I agree with Jelly Baby. I also updosed twice before starting my third and ongoing taper; I don't regret either of my updoses. Since I learned how to safely taper, I've never had to updose again.

I also want to add that stabilizing will take time. I suggest picking a dose and staying there until your nervous system recovers; this may take an uncomfortable week or two. But you will recover!

slow and jelly.................. and all who reads this...... I am concerned about my appetite and weight.  just weighed and 92 at 5 foot even.  now, I feel the last year my lorazepam has not worked but did not know what was going on and it is was slow said.... something withdrawal, happens when your body starts withdrawls itself as I never went any higher in not quite the 3 years I am on it.  sooooooooo, with that, is that why I read so any say insomnia and anxiety are their number one issues but mine is no appetite and nausea.  so that leaves taking all that medicine on empty stomach plus my migraine med has cosine in it when I have to take it ...... what I am asking is now that I am on a solid cut  have to ask hubby and get that posted but its right at 5 mg instead of 6 per day.... will I stay sick until how long?  my concern is at 63 I really can't afford to loose much more or I see hospital or feeding tube in my future.... hopefully its my overactive imagination.  I also don't drink water, like Dr pepper.  I just wish I could eat but I wear a mask when I cook for hubby as I almost can't stand the food smell.  but then sometimes I will get up in the middle of the night and eat a pudding or banana.  anyone have any advice?  have had lots of tests, bloodwork scans , tubes in the last year and a half to try to explain the weight loss and nausea, but nothing shows up.  one Dr who has not prescribed said the benzo and when i take the migraine med all slows my system down and is hard on my stomach and I stay dehydrated also.  any suggestions that can let me know I will be OK?  is this all the benzo normal?  and how log will it be before I see or feel a difference in wanting to eat............ thanks each and everyone of you.  slow will get my dose posted when hubby tells me, I keep my journal he keeps the numbers... much safer that way, but you already know that!!!

Hi white

I had this issue of  loss of appetite and nausea at the start of my taper. I also had bad stomach cramps. So I didn't eat and drink. I stayed hydrated by getting drinks from my pharmacist that has electrolytes in them. You just need a little bit per day.

I eventually forced myself to eat. The only food I could stomach was oatmeal and white rice and I ate that for 2 weeks.  I was fortunate as my gut issues went away and I'm now eating normally. I would suggest you eat anything that you can stomach and try to eat constantly throughout the day. Little small meals. Anything is better than nothing.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how long it will last because everyone is different.

I'm so happy you and hubby are settling you into a stable dose. You sound much more positive than a couple of days before and that is really important for healing. You should be very proud of what you achieved by learning to navigate this forum, starting to stabilize and keeping a journal. Well done White!

THANK YOU.................  but my main anxiety concern now is this not eating and skin and bones issue has been going on for almost 1 and a half years, and about a year ago I didn't know what it was but the lorazepam stopped working...... and I went downhill and my body was withdrawing everyday on its own getting nowhere.... don't understand it all, but I can't stand to loose anymore weight at all, so my question is as I am actually tapering now, my system is going to get really ad at these things.  do I have to go to a hospital as I can't really do that.  what can I do??????????????????  because the way I understand it each time I step down I go through at least a week of all the bad stuff again, and my body, I have let go not realizing what was wrong, getting all the tests and all run, drs thinking I am crazy, and............. looky here.  yah.  a year and a half over 35 pounds weight loss and sick as a dog.  labeled depressed.... which was true.

I can't really give you other advice than what I've already given unfortunately. That's the only experience I have.

Maybe have a chat to your doctor?

you know, I have come along way on this navigating things, but I have some really patient awesome kind understanding people who are behind me.  now, that was a diffulcult few days.  so, with that being said, I am on my stepdown cut since last Saturday, and no, I do not wanna run a race.  but I did pick cucummbers from the garden, sauted chicken breasts with onion, green pepper fresh garden tomatoes over wild rice with homemade white gravy and a garden salad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)  so, I probably will not eat much as I wore a mask while cooking cuz the smell of food still is not sitting well.  but it was something I done for hubby and he will love it and one day I will, its a given unless the Lord calls me home first, I will come out of this terrible fog.  To find someway to thank everyone who is from here to there and every where would be impossible, but I am working on it!!!!!  THANK YOU once again next email won't be so good probably, so keep this one for reference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :thumbsup:

Just sending some encouragement!

I lost 25 pounds at this time last year due to an accidental and prolonged medical THC overdose; I am 6' and I was down to 110lbs... There was a point during my 6 hours at the hospital where I was offered a bowl of totally plain oatmeal, and I decided I was going to survive by eating it; it was so difficult but I ate the whole bowl.

At home I was a total mess and I had to start with baby food; I literally couldn't eat anything I called "adult food", which was anything with more than one ingredient. I used the smell and sips of apple cider vinegar and doses of CBD oil to get my appetite going, and I ate every three hours of the day, small meals of oatmeal, congee (a very delicious but simple rice and chicken porridge made in the Instant Pot), and roasted chicken. I worked my way up to homemade fridge pickles, fermented vegetables, raw eggs, and a few variations on cooked chicken over the months. Ultimately I think I have a histamine problem, and batch-prepared foods turned on me, but not before I put back on 20lbs and could try other foods.

I wonder if your appetite needs a trigger, or if food is a trigger for a stress-response. Growing up I endured countless family dinners with what my therapist calls "forced feeding" and physical abuse; as a result, it's hard to know what I want to eat, and I am afraid of plates, meals, and dinner tables. I'm missing a birthday dinner upstairs right now, because I'm too frightened at the moment and I know it would be too much for me. My suggestion to you white river is just to pay attention and don't discredit weird fears about food or eating, or dismiss unusual strategies that work to get you enjoying some simple foods!

One of my benzo tapering functionality goals is eating regular meals; when I lose my appetite, or my digestion slows down and I feel sick and bloated, I've often traced it back to my taper rate. Once my taper rate became tolerable, I was able to uncover psychological causes of digestion issues; these I work on with therapy. I could never address these if my benzo taper hadn't become so boring and easy; so I hope stability will reward you with some ease and insights into any deeper issues, if you have them.  :thumbsup:

Thank you, Sir, I do believe your pretty spot on ........ sad but true on so many levels of what you said, I see and relate.  I am just so scared to eat and process, because it hurts my stomach.  and digestive system.  What a Blessing you have been for me tonight, to take the time as others, to help a total stranger in the same boat as so many of us are.  the sad thing about this whole thing for me is I didn't even realize over a year ago the med stop working and just kept getting tests that came back e ok, and they really just wrote me off as a depressed crazy person, and the more the test cam e back good the more paniced I got as I knew I was sick and not feeling well.  so the question I have is how will I now I am stable enough in a couple weeks to go down if I still am nauseated as I have been this way way over a year?  You have a good night and thank you so very much for being so kind.................

I'm glad my experiences were helpful for you.

To answer your question about stability, unfortunately tapering while in tolerance withdrawal doesn't seem to offer any immediate solution to the kinds of symptoms you're experiencing. The suggestion to stabilize is just to keep your withdrawal symptoms from getting overwhelming from the rapid reduction you made previously. The recovery from any impairments caused by the lorazepam will likely happen once you've made significant and well-tolerated reductions in dosage, likely over a period of many months.

The best suggestion I can offer to recognize "stability" while in tolerance withdrawal is that your symptoms should return to where they were before the previous reduction; eventually I expect you'll start to feel better after stabilizing on a lower dosage, but for now the goal is just to avoid getting consistently worse or overwhelmed. When you cut you may feel worse for a time, but the goal I suggest for your cutting rate will be to not get dangerously worse, and to return to how you were feeling before the cut within two weeks or so.

Because benzo recover can be such a slow process, it's really important in my mind to focus on bringing in as many other supports as possible, and using any opportunities for rest and healing that are around you.

thank you........ my biggest support system is my renewed relationship with hubby.....  A very good friend I met on here showed me the other side of the coin, she made me see and look at a lot of things, as you do too, that the anger over how I got here and being so sick and hide from family and friends....... that he was grieving the same things I was, just not together. after over 40 years of sharing, when that stopped my world crashed as did his.  two stubborn hurt worn down people....... is what we had.  so, we got scales, we got journals we got all the stuff plus more coming we need, and we got a better understanding of just what this drug is how it works and realized this will be done together.  that is my comfort, as I can now cry and know he hears , may not understand but is here.  my fear and anxiety is terrible but I am an overthinker and never seen the best, always the worst.  so yes what you shared made me see this drug does so much more to us then someone who does not take it could ever imagine.  seasalt gave me so much and rescued me on so many levels......  I can not wait to get far enough down the road where I can peek over my shoulder and tell it exactly what I think of it......................... have a good day

I am so relieved you and your husband have been able to work things out.

And it's quite remarkable that this brought you together because benzos tend to just pull relationships apart.

You should be really proud of how you have managed to successfully work on this relationship while you were in a quite desperate benzo place yourself.  :smitten:

thank you, still am.  nauseated so bad, and still have to wonder if I will get out of this hole, and its only been a few short weeks........... such a large amount to come off, over 2 years and then my body has tried to withdraw on its own the last year... and I still had no idea.  do u think that is why I am still so sick and can't get rid of the nausea and gain any weight, much less less my own.  my biggest worry is it may be something else..................................................

have a question, where I live, its very bad and number 2 for the new strain of Covid.  I am at around 5 mg daily of lorazepam yet not quite a month into tapering.  does anyone know if the shot Phizer would mess me up?  I asked them and they said no, but I have issues with authoritys in medication, now, no disrespect, because I took the benzo and believed what I was told, so has anyone got it or know?  I did see a thread but so new to this a lot I don't understand yet about triggers, and hoping someone can help that is currently still in mid taper or a higher dose such as I  and have recived it.  apt for Monday so I have a few days to really decide.  PLEASE, if anyone has an opinion, I take no offense or make no judgement on others doings....................................... that's not up to me to do that.  please help, if anyone has anyinfo.  the thread just from the ones I read were basically people who were off already. 

can anyone help me out on any advice about taking the covid shot Pfizer............................ as I and just a month, not even into tapering and still on around 5 mg of lorazepam daily for almost 3 years.  yah................... Dr and needle jabber said it would be fine, no problems............... but my trust level isn't even near the level of feeling confidence with that response, , as so many of us know.  but I don't pass judgement, not my job, and thank goodness for that one!  can anyone tell me if the gaba gaba sensor would be affected, would it mess me up, set me back..... but me in la la land.  I read someone a thread but looked to me a lot were getting it but almost done or donewith the tapers.  SO, my question is, being on still a high dose, any thing to offer in advice?  I have till sunday night to decide.  my grandkids are my reason, as this is wicked as it does get the little ones too.  I could never live with myself thinking I may have given them something. and part of my healing, and my family's to, is to allow them to come back into my messed up world that I tried to isolate them from and the virus is really in the way.  I still do not know what I believe and if it were just me, I'd chance it.  I have no problem being alone with nature! thanks so much

ok, you an jelly are my go tos and I can't get in trouble anymore and I was doing so good, but I though I posted the covid questions on new board................... but  they are on here.  so............................ please I have been doing so good and trying so hard I don't want in trouble.  I am so sorry if I did something wrong, but I wanted everyone to see the post on the covid shots.  rats, I pray today for a better day, which now includes staying out of jail on this.  better do some reading up again.  you would be so proud, we bought the journals, bubby is even keep one one me from what he sees from his standpoint.  and he said, lets ask the the buddies about the shot.................... and I did. but I think not the right way.  hope your doing alright, and hope I can come back on in a bit and see people giving opinions and me not in trouble.......................................... :-[

Hi White,

I got both Moderna covid Vaccine shots while tapering and it was no problem. It's my best guess that the shot won't affect your taper.

HM

slownsteady................... just checking in as I haven't heard anything from you, hope all is well......... to everyone else, I appreciate you all so very much, too.  thank each and everyone of you for the patience time and care you have given me.  it sure lifts me on the bad times to go back over the encouraging words you all share, and so openly.  this is the one bright star that has come out of this..... the meaning of true help and friendship with no expectation in return.  thanks

slownsteady................... just checking in as I haven't heard anything from you, hope all is well.........

I'm needing a little more rest recently. I'll be here when you are ready to start tapering.  :thumbsup:

Hi white

I'm glad you're exploring the forum a bit more and you've been reading other threads about the vaccine. That's exactly what this forum is about.

Please feel free to post in other places as much as you like. You're not going to get in trouble - we're quite a friendly bunch! We just directed you to this thread at the start because you were struggling to find your posts. But now that you're getting the hang of things please participate wherever you feel comfortable.

I cannot comment on the vaccine as I haven't received it yet. I hope you have been able to find your answers and good luck with your decision. I'm sure things will work out!

• Popular Now

• [...]
    • [...]