A near perfect day and then an oops..

[tr...]

Trina's hope it's dying off now. I had the same experience when I tried bath salts with magnesium in it. I was trying to take a zen bath to help. You know zen music, non scented candles and nice bath....15 minutes in the tub and I started feeling really sick. I hurried out of the tub. For about a week I stayed sick. It even dropped my sugar real low. I have not touched the stuff since! And have not been that sick since. Bananas did the same thing to me.

I'm sure you'll be feeling better soon. Don't feel bad about trying it. You would have not known unless you did. I'm glad you only did a small a out in a short time I me frame. Very smart!!!!Hang in there sweetie. Keep me posted on how you're feeling. Big hugs!

When your body is deprived of Magnesium for a long time it can be stimulating when you start to increase your levels. Just like B Vitamins as they do the same, particularly B12. Its not a "wave" or a setback. Its just your body trying to manage all the magnesium.

Edit: I shouldn't say deprived. I mean to say not getting as much as it used to.

That's simply not true. Supplements can be stimulating to sensitive CNS causing it to destabilise and cause symptoms

"Simply not true". Feel free to look up on here of people going through B vitamin or Magnesium startup that found relief by pushing through the stimulatory phase. The threads exist.

I don't want to hijack the thread, and shouldn't really have replied like that. It's just not the case for everyone. Some can't take supplements period and it does cause a setback. But we're all different.

I'll leave it there. Sorry OP

[a1...]

Just wanted to mention that magnesium is an NMDA antagonist, so not like a benzo.

That said, if you antagonize the receptor for just a bit with a little magnesium then the antagonism lets up because your overall magnesium is low and the level isn't steady, it may be like a mini-withdrawal effect. This is why it might be so hard to supplement magnesium for some. It does suggest a possible deficiency though. Food is likely your best bet for replenishing, since it will be a gradual release - something to consider. There's a ton of "high magnesium food" lists out there.

Overall, low magnesium (I just had this tested and mine is low too!) can lead to more glutamate and possibly more brain excitation. Oddly, I can take magnesium without problems, but I don't seem to retain it.

Food for thought  :laugh:

I'm so sorry Trina,  I had to reinstate and do a slow taper after taking a vitamin in acute after CT.  I understand your pain and frustration.  I think those of us that rapid tapered or CT are just more sensitive to chemicals, vitamins, everything.    I remember how angry I was with myself but don't be hard on yourself.  I have now realized that I will get all my supplementation from food.  I eat at least three bowls of oatmeal a day with blueberries.  The oatmeal is very high in magnesium and it helps me during my taper.   

So many ppl I want to reply to ...here we go:

Kiro Kiro - thank you but I don't think you understand the hell on earth it threw me into - acute full blast. All of it. This was beyond stimulating. I understand your point...when I first started taking vit B's again I felt a little revved up and it did pass and I tolerate them now no problem. But this was sooo different. Nightmares, akesthisia, screaming tinnitus, air hunger, paranoia, muscles locked up, burning, etc etc.

Having a mare: its ok to go back and forth and discuss things - its how we learn on here:)

Lady Den and Fortitude: you bless me with your love always..

Fluffernutter: That actually makes sense and has answered a lot for me - thank you. I felt a little "off" shortly after taking it, but it was later on that I lost my mind. I can eat high magnesium foods no problem at all.

Tall golfer: Where have you been!!! Good to hear from you! I haven't had oatmeal in awhile - def will add that to my foods!

The day started to show some promise around noon of things starting to shift in a better direction. Glad bc that scared the living heck out of me.

:thumbsup:

Kiro Kiro - thank you but I don't think you understand the hell on earth it threw me into - acute full blast. All of it. This was beyond stimulating. I understand your point...when I first started taking vit B's again I felt a little revved up and it did pass and I tolerate them now no problem. But this was sooo different. Nightmares, akesthisia, screaming tinnitus, air hunger, paranoia, muscles locked up, burning, etc etc.

Interesting. Did you wake up the next day feeling flu-like by any chance? Or perhaps have more brain fog than normal?

Trina,

I am so glad you are starting to turn a corner and feel better after your induced wave. I hope that is the end of that for you and you can move on to your new job and all will be well.

HM

• 1 month later...
[a1...]
Clarifying post - I am not providing medical advice. If you felt that I did, I apologize. Please check with you doctor on any medicine. I am not advising to do anything without the advice of your doctor.