Seems like many food aggravate my withdrawals

[li...]

Nobody said that banana is a citrus, but that banana is also a histamine liberator like citrus fruits are. And histamine in food is certainly not a myth. Since I started taking proton-pump inhibitors (they also muck DAO enzymes) I get hives whenever I eat high histamine foods, like canned fish.

I wonder how banana liberates histamine form the mast cells. Do you have a mechanism?

This scientific paper, at least, refers to bananas being known to release histamine. It also demonstrates a statistically significant difference in blood plasma levels of histamine after following a histamine free diet for four weeks. Why would it be necessary to demonstrate a mechanism? There are lots of scientific theories that are widely accepted by the scientific community where the "how?" is not fully understood.

Of course, we should be mindful that we don't get caught up obsessing over these sensitivities. I would hope that nobody is reading this thread wondering if that banana they had the other day caused a wave of symptoms. I don't think that's likely to be true and there's no way to check. It's not worth thinking about. However, if someone wants to trial eliminating some foods that are rich in histamine, perhaps they'll see some small improvement in symptoms. What's wrong with that?

I would point out that it's impossible to apply the scientific method to individual food insensitivities. The reason for this is that without clones, we are limited to a sample size of one.

The link you embedded in your response is inactive when I click on it.

Of course we can use the scientific method to assess food sensitivities. The scientific method is not based on clones.

The widely accepted theories you mentioned become widely accepted exactly because the mechanisms are understood.

1. Fixed the link.

2. I specified individual food sensitivities which you omitted and consequently altered the meaning of what I wrote. It's obvious by the context in which this conversation is taking place what I meant. I am talking about an individual trying to identify food sensitivities. I'm obviously not denying that food intolerance can be tested in a lab; perhaps some people here are lucky to have that access but my assumption is that most people won't. I didn't imply that the scientific method is based upon clones (hint: clones are necessary for a statistically significant sample size in this specific case). Just like nobody suggested avoiding all foods or anything approaching that. If I suspect that I'm intolerant to a specific food because I can correlate it with the onset of symptoms, I can conduct a sort of experiment but it wouldn't be very scientific. I have no way to adequately control for multiple variables so I can't collect data. If I can't collect data, I can't practice science. If I had a sample of clones, I'd get a lot further. Despite this limitation, it may still be a worthwhile experiment to eliminate specific foods, as long as the only cost is you have to eat different foods.

3. Why do you do that? The theories that I mentioned specifically don't have well understood mechanics. Read my post again if you don't believe me. Since you state it so authoritatively, perhaps you can provide a citation that a scientific theory becomes widely accepted when the mechanism is understood? My understanding is that a theory is judged on how well it explains the data.

1. OK

2. Correlation is not causation. That's one of the reasons why understanding the mechanisms is important.

3. Yes, the theories are partly judged on how well they explain the data. Also, on how predictive they are and whether new hypothesis based on them are testable.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [li...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find scientific articles to justify anything. Why do you think most restaurants have quit using MSG? Because people were having bad reactions like brain fog and confusion. Don't tell me it doesn't affect the brain

Sorry, Jwl, but you have been misled:

https://www.self.com/story/we-all-really-need-to-stop-freaking-out-about-msg

I always sigh heavily when I see people trying to say that msg doesn't make you sick. I've always been extremely allergic to it. I get severe migraines, flushed face and chest, heart palpitations, stomach cramps and I'm usually sick for a couple of days. I avoid it like the plague. Sure, maybe most people might not be allergic to it but it's frustrating for those of us who are. It's really a simple question of weeding out foods that make you feel sick. But, trust me, there are plenty of us out there who have food allergies and sensitivities.

That article contains precisely zero scientific basis, anyhow. It is an opinion piece based upon the fact that MSG was deemed safe for human consumption by the FDA back in 1959. Therefore, according to the author, case closed. As if scientific enquiry stopped at that point and as if the heavily political (therefore corrupt) FDA is a credible authority on scientific matters.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5938543/ is a scientific article.

You can find scientific articles to justify anything. Why do you think most restaurants have quit using MSG? Because people were having bad reactions like brain fog and confusion. Don't tell me it doesn't affect the brain

I always sigh heavily when I see people trying to say that msg doesn't make you sick. I've always been extremely allergic to it. I get severe migraines, flushed face and chest, heart palpitations, stomach cramps and I'm usually sick for a couple of days. I avoid it like the plague. Sure, maybe most people might not be allergic to it but it's frustrating for those of us who are. It's really a simple question of weeding out foods that make you feel sick. But, trust me, there are plenty of us out there who have food allergies and sensitivities.

That article contains precisely zero scientific basis, anyhow. It is an opinion piece based upon the fact that MSG was deemed safe for human consumption by the FDA back in 1959. Therefore, according to the author, case closed. As if scientific enquiry stopped at that point and as if the heavily political (therefore corrupt) FDA is a credible authority on scientific matters.

The article you cited asks a question in the title. Not very definitive.

This article (so-called review article) summarizes many articles concluding that MSG is harmless: https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/494782

I read the article you mentioned. There is almost nothing in it on the effects of MSG in humans. Overwhelmingly the cited articles are animal studies. Here is one sentence about humans:

"A study on a human model revealed that MSG consumption and haemoglobin levels are positively related to each other due to leptin's vital role in haematopoiesis (Shi et al., 2012[15])".

Human model? What? I really question the sanity of the authors. Also, I've never heard of this journal before and I read scientific articles every day. That's my job.

Nobody said that banana is a citrus, but that banana is also a histamine liberator like citrus fruits are. And histamine in food is certainly not a myth. Since I started taking proton-pump inhibitors (they also muck DAO enzymes) I get hives whenever I eat high histamine foods, like canned fish.

I wonder how banana liberates histamine form the mast cells. Do you have a mechanism?

This scientific paper, at least, refers to bananas being known to release histamine. It also demonstrates a statistically significant difference in blood plasma levels of histamine after following a histamine free diet for four weeks. Why would it be necessary to demonstrate a mechanism? There are lots of scientific theories that are widely accepted by the scientific community where the "how?" is not fully understood.

Of course, we should be mindful that we don't get caught up obsessing over these sensitivities. I would hope that nobody is reading this thread wondering if that banana they had the other day caused a wave of symptoms. I don't think that's likely to be true and there's no way to check. It's not worth thinking about. However, if someone wants to trial eliminating some foods that are rich in histamine, perhaps they'll see some small improvement in symptoms. What's wrong with that?

I would point out that it's impossible to apply the scientific method to individual food insensitivities. The reason for this is that without clones, we are limited to a sample size of one.

Of course we can use the scientific method to assess food sensitivities. The scientific method is not based on clones.

The widely accepted theories you mentioned become widely accepted exactly because the mechanisms are understood.

1. Fixed the link.

2. I specified individual food sensitivities which you omitted and consequently altered the meaning of what I wrote. It's obvious by the context in which this conversation is taking place what I meant. I am talking about an individual trying to identify food sensitivities. I'm obviously not denying that food intolerance can be tested in a lab; perhaps some people here are lucky to have that access but my assumption is that most people won't. I didn't imply that the scientific method is based upon clones (hint: clones are necessary for a statistically significant sample size in this specific case). Just like nobody suggested avoiding all foods or anything approaching that. If I suspect that I'm intolerant to a specific food because I can correlate it with the onset of symptoms, I can conduct a sort of experiment but it wouldn't be very scientific. I have no way to adequately control for multiple variables so I can't collect data. If I can't collect data, I can't practice science. If I had a sample of clones, I'd get a lot further. Despite this limitation, it may still be a worthwhile experiment to eliminate specific foods, as long as the only cost is you have to eat different foods.

3. Why do you do that? The theories that I mentioned specifically don't have well understood mechanics. Read my post again if you don't believe me. Since you state it so authoritatively, perhaps you can provide a citation that a scientific theory becomes widely accepted when the mechanism is understood? My understanding is that a theory is judged on how well it explains the data.

1. OK

2. Correlation is not causation. That's one of the reasons why understanding the mechanisms is important.

3. Yes, the theories are partly judged on how well they explain the data. Also, on how predictive they are and whether new hypothesis based on them are testable.

2. If you're going to argue with a strawman, I think I'll just leave you to it. I had to correct your summation of my view twice in the last post. I'm not doing it again  ::)

1. Fixed the link.

1. OK

2. If you're going to argue with a strawman, I think I'll just leave you to it. I had to correct your summation of my view twice in the last post. I'm not doing it again  ::)

I'm not trying to do that. The problem is that your premise that there is such a thing as individual food sensitivity is wrong.

I read the article you mentioned. There is almost nothing in it on the effects of MSG in humans. Overwhelmingly the cited articles are animal studies. Here is one sentence about humans:

"A study on a human model revealed that MSG consumption and haemoglobin levels are positively related to each other due to leptin's vital role in haematopoiesis (Shi et al., 2012[15])".

Human model? What? I really question the sanity of the authors. Also, I've never heard of this journal before and I read scientific articles every day. That's my job.

Chill out. Where did I say I endorse it? I know what MSG is and that there's some controversy and not a lot more. I literally Googled for it to show an example of what a scientific article looks like. Appreciate you sharing that this particular journal lacks credibility. That's useful to know. I produced a link to contrast with yours which doesn't even try to be scientific. It comes under the heading "OPINIONS".

Yeah, I clocked from the condescending tone and a few other clues that your career is relevant to the discussion. It explains your blinkered view. The point is that there is a dearth of relevant scientific papers when it comes to the minutiae of withdrawal. It's not that anecdotal evidence is best, it's that there's nothing else to work with. I don't need scientific proof of anything to tweak my diet. I can do that on a hunch and if I feel better, so what about whether there's a causal link? If I don't feel better after the tweak, it didn't work but I didn't lose out either.

To be honest, at face value, I don't trust your inferences. Based upon how you seem to read my posts, you're prone to seeing things that aren't quite there.

1. Fixed the link.

1. OK

I'm not trying to do that. The problem is that your premise that there is such a thing as individual food sensitivity is wrong.

The problem as I see it is you keep making positive statements that the evidence does not justify. Since I'm not sensitive to peanuts and there are no individual variations, we should tell everybody that they can eat peanuts.

1. Fixed the link.

1. OK

The problem as I see it is you keep making positive statements that the evidence does not justify. Since I'm not sensitive to peanuts and there are no individual variations, we should tell everybody that they can eat peanuts.

Quite the opposite. My point is that if you are sensitive to peanuts, there will be other people who are also sensitive.

To the poster, I don't believe that histamine intolerance is a lie. I noticed that when I eat histamine foods, I get a bad case of the benzo flu or a headache similar to having allergies. There are plenty of articles out there on this if you choose to research.

To the poster, I don't believe that histamine intolerance is a lie. I noticed that when I eat histamine foods, I get a bad case of the benzo flu or a headache similar to having allergies. There are plenty of articles out there on this if you choose to research.

The poster didn't say anything about histamine.

I feel like Im dying. I havent tapered and my body is reacting from having the lemon as if it is out of my system. I cant sleep all night and having surges and feeling like Im dying. Im so scared. Over having lemon? I am in so much agony and cant imagine how I cant stafrt to taper off this when Im in this condition. Something is seriously wrong with me.  I have this crazy interaction with this speicfic generic I have been on for the past year. I get drugged up so much so with certain foods and once I skipped eating any food at all and then I went into major withdrawls then certain foods cause me also to go into withdrawls. Its so scary. How will I survive geneeral anesthesia and the interaction with the benzo and the aftermath if I cant even handle simple foods wihtout my body going so haywire. I've never been so scared in my life. I havent come across anyone who has gone through what I have with the food interactions yet. It feels as if I skipped taking my benzo.  I feel like Im kindled over and over and over again each day for the past year by being on this specific generic. Even when I tapered off from 1.5 to .5mg in 2007-2009 I didnt expereince anything close to what I am now.  I dont feel I can go on.  This is as if I cold tukeyed the benzo then the next day i eat a food and i drug myself up and he next day cold turkey. i dont feel im going to sruvive this.

I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. What does NP stand for, nurse practitioner? Can you find another doctor and see if you can switch to brand valium? What dose are you on now? It's terrible, and unprofessional, and dangerous to give you a deadline to get off of it.  I would find another doctor ASAP who can get you on a dose where you can stabilize. In the meantime, I would avoid those foods that are causing you problems

Lila, stay strong sweetie. You will survive. It's the benzo talking. It's not going to be a picnic, walk in the park etc. only time will make you feel better. Please take comfort in knowing that you're turning into a butterfly. That takes time & transformation. The caterpillar must be still & allow itself to be swallowed up in a cocoon so time can turn it into something amazingly better & beautiful! Then it can do something it never could before...fly free! We WILL have a better life. We WILL heal in time. We ARE survivors! Distract yourself. Try not to focus on the symptoms. Trust the process.

I had to change my diet drastically as well. I eat mostly salads & grilled chicken. Fresh fruits. I had to eat several small meals a day. Few bites every hour...1/2 an apple & water. Next hour 4 wheat crackers & boiled chicken leg.

See if that helps.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. We are here for you. It's a very tough thing to go through. Hopefully once you start to feel better, you will be able to start a slow and steady taper. I wouldn't worry about how you will handle it. Once you are feeling stable again, there is a good chance that you will be able to get started with a taper. Things can get revved up like they are for you now but they can also and will most likely calm down again.

I can't tell you how many times that's happened to me over the last 9 months that I've been tapering. I always feel like I'll never come through it and then I do. You will too.  :)

I hear you too.. :(

Eating a half decent portion of just about anything can near kill me.. All the signs if a toxic reaction...

I cant pin it down to any type of food, asides heavy dense foods being worse, and size matters..

10 years of this, and the best thing for ME is to lay down with a bit of pressure on my belly and drift off to sleep, -even 10min makes a big difference, it seems to somewhat reset, more often than not..

The GI can be so damn complex and effect every aspect of ones body...

I suspect this is a situation where a combination of  “basics” are much more effective than “treating”...

I'm so sorry you're going through such a hard time. What does NP stand for, nurse practitioner? Can you find another doctor and see if you can switch to brand valium? What dose are you on now? It's terrible, and unprofessional, and dangerous to give you a deadline to get off of it.  I would find another doctor ASAP who can get you on a dose where you can stabilize. In the meantime, I would avoid those foods that are causing you problems

Yes NP is nurse practitioner but I should change the last line because i found another one who was willing to keep things status quo but by the time I found her I started having strange symptoms that I didnt know was tolerence withdrawals. I thought it came from the massive stress and fear I was under from being forced to taper. Ironically if I had tapered then I would have been in better shape because I was stable then.

I am so scared what would happen to my body if I switched to Valium since every little change puts me in massive withdrawals now. It feels like one day I take a pill the next day I didnt take my pill. Something happened with this generic and when I switched to the other generic that used to be more stable in my body and it didnt work anymore then switched back to this one. Something about this one gets me so high with food as if  Im taking a whole bunch of pills.  I didnt realize the dangers of that for some reason. I think thats why Im in such a critical state.  When I was on the other generics for the past 14 years it never had that affect. Now my body is so addicted that any little thing puts me in over the top withdrawls and Im so terrrified. I was suppose to have oral surgery but too scared that the anesthesia will make me go into further withdrawals. Im not like other people. Im in really huge big trouble with this and scared out of my mind. I have to watch the clock and make sure I eat everything the same perfectly otherwise I will go into massive withdrawals. I feel like a prision and my life is all about when it is time to take my next dose and hw will my body will react.  I have not had a 2nd of peace or enjoyment for 2 months straight. I have been utter agony an pray all the time and pray. I wish I could distract myself but Im too sick to do anything.  I do watch tv and listen to prayer and healing meditations but do not find it helpful

I'm sorry, I thought you were already on Valium. I hope you can get on the brand that you were somewhat stable on.

Many of us (including me)  have gone through the same things you're going through. You may feel you're different ( I know I thought no one could possibly be going through what I'm going through), but you're not alone. We're here to help and maybe we won't have all the answers but keep posting.

Some foods have naturally occuring Gaba in them. Have no idea if this affects us in wd. Hang in there!

As discussed above, GABA in food does not go into the brain.

I'm sorry, I thought you were already on Valium. I hope you can get on the brand that you were somewhat stable on.

Many of us (including me)  have gone through the same things you're going through. You may feel you're different ( I know I thought no one could possibly be going through what I'm going through), but you're not alone. We're here to help and maybe we won't have all the answers but keep posting.

I agree it is important to stabilize first. I would not be afraid of eating anything I like. Makes no difference one way or another.

Hi. I noticed that the one person respond thinks food cant be an issue. All I know is that I have been tapering slow for 2and a half years now and on the homeward stretch. But there has and is a definite link with me to different foods and withdrawal symptoms. And I know that I am not alone in this. So neither are you.  After awhile I got to know what my food triggers are and I do my best to avoid them. For me salty, sugary and citrus are definitely triggers. Remember everyone journey through this is unique to them. We all have similar things happening and some things may or may not bother us the same. My advice is if you feel that there is a definite food that is a trigger for you, and you feel better by avoiding it than avoid it. We are blessed with a variety of food to choose from.

Loveyou, that's exactly what I said! Everyone is unique. Not everyone can handle certain foods or drinks during withdrawals. Even Dr Ashton said use wisdom to avoid triggers if they happen. Wait a good while then slowly reintroduce them back into your diet.

To the buddy tapering & trying to cross over to Valium, please know that you have support here. Fear is common companion of benzos. My advice to you is to try to calm those fears a bit so you won't panic. I always ask myself this....will I die? Am I making an informed choice? What's my plan for afterwards?

I hope this helps you as well. Breathe slowly & remain calm. You're not alone  :)

Thank you all for your feedback and support. :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: I would love to respond to you all individually but I've been so sick and have limited energy.  I have decided to try a different generic today hoping it would help me to stabalize so I can start tapering. It put me in further withdrawal. I think it is less potent than the other generic I have been on. Much less because I wass so drugged up on the food it felt like it updosed me anytime I ate food 2 hours before  my medication doseage. I tried to eat without food and it put me in withdrawals. I have the new teva generic that I was too afraid to try. The old one worked so well and I was functional on it. I was in severe withdrawals last night on my other one so I thought maybe if I tried this one it would work better in my system and once stabalized start tapering. Well it made things so much worse for me.  I am afraid to go back on the other one because I did the same thing 2 months ago tried a different generic that worked for me in the past and didnt work and went back to the one I was on and it felt like I got updosed big time. After 3 days it didnt work well anymore and since then been in tolerence withdrawals.  I foolishly tried again as I didnt learn my lesson. Solco is the generic that ruined it all for me as it was updsoing me all the time incosistently for an entire year but I didnt realize it.  When I switched over to the other gneric I only stayed on it 3 days and couldnt handle it so went back to the Soclo and it messed me up so badly. Now Im having even worse symptoms with the new teva generic.  I think its becaue the past 2 months of kindling makes anything put me in withdrawls. Im terrifed of the solco i dont want back on it. Now I dont know if I shoul increase my dose on the new teva.I have been on .5mg for 11 years and worked so hard to get from 1.5 mg to .5m from 2007-2009. It would deavstae me to updose but I probably aleady inadertently did it anyway when I was on the solco.  My adrenals and thyroid crashed so much and my body is bruning up so hot. Im afraid I wont be able to sleep all night again.  I have no idea what Im doing. Im operating in a state of fear and panc. I was so good too I have been so resposnbile with it for 14 years and never updosed or needed to. If they didnt change the generic on me I still would have been functional. I only wish I had tapered off back when I was stable but I didnt anticpate this happenning to me and I was so sick with other ailments that I had figured I would be on it for the rest of my life since my other health ailments were too much to handle without the benzo. 

Hi honey.  It looks like we both have had brain injury in 2006.  A long ride with Clonazepam as well.  Interdose withdrawal.

For me tapering has been just a strange journey.  Strange because none of it has been linear.  Food, exercise and stress, and nothing can cause me waves of withdrawal symptoms.  It has been so difficult to pinpoint what causes what.  I often blame my food because it seems like something that I can control.  And yes, I seem to have bad reactions over and over to the same foods.  Foods like chocolate and bread.  Caffeine.

Each of our bodies are exquisitely unique in how we metabolize food.  How we heal our GABA system.

I too think that if things get unbearable,  slow down your taper.  Find a doctor that will work with you.  All the best.