Exercise Mutual Support

[Ha...]

You're right that fasting is not something to take lightly, LadyDen. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is in a worse state of withdrawal than me. I've had it in mind to try fasting for a little while but only just decided that it was safe. I would stop at any time if it was having any alarm effects but it's actually quite easy. I even did a decent walk when I was about 36 hours into a fast. That may sound crazy to some but I assure you it isn't... though I don't recommend to others  :P

Glad that you're seeing the benefits, Haimona. I wish it was easier to quantify the effect on sleep as well as the effect on anxiety levels because I think it's significant. I don't need the validation but I know that other people would take that seriously. If we could say "x level of exercise improves sleep by y%", then I think more people would be examining whether they are doing as much as they can.

It's definitely not that simple and there are loads of barriers to exercising during withdrawal, both psychological and physical in nature. But I don't think that many people understand what a difference not being very unfit makes. That initial exertion can hurt almost immediately but fitness improves very quickly too.

As for me, I have a slight weariness from yesterday's walk. I have a mission to pick up some train tickets for next Wednesday that I might not be allowed to use due to covid. It's walkable in about half an hour each way, but I may be able to extend it by going a more scenic route. It's going to get rainy after today, so I'll be making the most of it. If I get going, I may end up pushing myself again and have a proper old fashioned lazy day while it is raining tomorrow. I don't need a reason to have a lazy day but it feels better when I have one  :)

A lazy rainy day is the best.  Here in Ohio we had a day of thunderstorms.  It was beautiful!  I sat in my chair and read and watched the rain and lightning

I also have been doing walks.  Yesterday I pushed myself and walked for almost an hour.  I felt tired when I got home but that’s ok. 

Wow!!!! Listen you guys.... I don't mind being tired from walking! I'd sell my last pair of socks if it would buy me some walking tolerance.  :laugh: I'm happy for y'all. That wave I had was small then progressed to medium at bedtime. But it was worth it and damn it I'm gonna do it again! Tomorrow! Not today cuz I'm still feeling it. Diaz where are you headed

I'm glad you're feeling it but raring to go again tomorrow. If you can manage this, I am sure you'll have built up a not insignificant amount of strength!

Heading to London to see an old friend. I think it's happening but the whole covid thing is blowing up again, so who knows?

Today I walked for 90 mins and played some table tennis for half an hour. No consequences, I feel good. But I am mindful of the need to take a rest before anything bad happens rather than after. I am not going to get carried away.

London sounds fun. I'm sure your friend will be glad to see you. I've never played table tennis. Is it similar to ping pong?

Yes I think if I keep trying to walk, I can gain strength and let my brain know it's ok for me to stand.

I agree that you should be careful not to overdo it. I've read many on here that was nearly healed started being to active and was hit with waves that felt like acute phase. Most said it took them a few weeks to recover.

This walking is basically saving my sanity.  I can't quantify it, and my sleep is still pretty awful, but it's enough less-bad that some mornings I feel nearly human, sleep wise.  Plus I crave it at the end of the work day.  It helps me shake off the day, stretch out, and feel a bit more awake/alert. 

Haimona

Ping pong and table tennis are the same thing, as far as I know.

I had my lazy day yesterday and I needed it. My muscles were pretty tight. Felt good to do my walk again today.

I'm really glad you're getting so much benefit, Haimona. LadyDen, this will be you too in the not too distant future. The first steps are the hardest  ;)

Ooooooo wwwwwweeeeeee I can't wait!!!!!! Thx for the encouragement Diaz. I'm glad you walked it out. It does help. There's no way this doesn't affect our joints too. What do you guys think?

I'm going to try again today to walk for 10 minutes. I did manage to stand at the window to look out for a bit. Lasted about 5 minutes. Very boaty now after doing that. But I'm fired up & ready to try to push through some of this.

Ooooooo wwwwwweeeeeee I can't wait!!!!!! Thx for the encouragement Diaz. I'm glad you walked it out. It does help. There's no way this doesn't affect our joints too. What do you guys think?

I'm going to try again today to walk for 10 minutes. I did manage to stand at the window to look out for a bit. Lasted about 5 minutes. Very boaty now after doing that. But I'm fired up & ready to try to push through some of this.

Good for you, LadyDen! Awesome progress.  :thumbsup:

Diaz-e-BAM, thank you for being happy for me! Today I finally hit a wall, and will miss my nightly walk.  I don't think I got an entire hour of sleep last night, and then I had a scary medical appointment this morning. After that, I worked a full day.  Now I think I'm welded to my chair.  :P. So I think I need to honor my body's exhaustion now, and let myself rest.  I will say one positive thing about my doctor's appointment this morning.  It was with a new doctor who took over from the one who was rx'ing my lorazepam, and I explained to him what I was doing with my taper and that I was doing it slowly.  Without missing a beat, the dr said, "that's the way to do it."  I was pleasantly surprised that he understood that.

Haimona

That's definitely a huge bonus, having the doctor understand. It would make literally no sense to change things up since you've actually made progress... but it's no guarantee that doctors won't choose a nonsensical path!

Anybody that's able to work has my admiration. I couldn't have done that during my taper. I feel like if I was forced to work now, I'd find a way to get through it, but I'm multiple times better than I was and still don't think it would be a good idea. It's the cognitive symptoms that would get me first. I feel like I have my brain back most of the time but I know that it turns to mush when I get tired and I know that I'm tiring really easily as it stands. I suspect it'd put a toll on me emotionally, too, but that would take longer.

It's really windy outside but it looks bright. I've managed to turn things around so that a 45 minute walk is what I do on a regular day. That's what I did yesterday and what I'm gonna start out doing today. Often I go longer when I get going but I'm not a big fan of the wind, so probably not today!

Hope everyone's doing alright, nudging along gently, all of that. It's all about incremental gains  ;)

The days I am able to run, I feel so much better afterwards. Ironically, getting my heart rate up through a short burst of brisk running seems to- completely counterintuitively- get me more chilled for a bit afterwards. It doesn't feel right at the time, but the chillout afterwards is glorious. Way to go everyone who is going this! Do whatever you can, even if it's just a really gentle bit of movement. Fully appreciate not everyone can, but I find if I go to 90% capacity for me, I really benefit. Having said that, today is very much a couch day. So very rough, today! 🤣 👍

Welcome JGT  :)

Good cardio which gets your heart rate up is great for reducing blood pressure, which is elevated for many in withdrawal. It may seem counterintuitive but what you're benefiting from is available to anybody who is able to exercise regularly. It helps so much that it's tempting to wonder how far along I'd be if I started sooner. Honestly, between the depression and the various physical problems I've had, I know that I couldn't have got here much sooner, so I am grateful that this has changed.

My next step is to build some running in. The timing seems to be good as the summer is fading and the long walks seem less appealing.

Hope everybody's doing alright today  >:D

My work has been sponsoring a three week challenge.  They provide us some healthy recipes and three 1/2 hour exercise sessions during lunch or after work. 

I find that thirty minutes is just right and have been really sore, so I know things are working!  Just gradually working in to things...

I'm doing ok now. I woke up in a big wave this morning BUT it was less intense than last time and didn't last as long. I pray that this means im healing more. So usually after a big one, I really can't stand up for more than a couple of minutes. I'm noticing that I have a big wave about once every 5-7 days. So my idea of going for a 10 minute walk today is out of the question. But, you know what, the lesser big wave makes up for it. After a day or 2, I'm back at baseline so I'll try on Saturday evening.

Happy to hear good reports on everyone else. Keep it up!