View From the Other Side - 5 Year Update

[Sh...]

thank you for sharing your story and these details. i’m so happy for you.  :)

i am just starting year 4.

if i’m reading this correctly, it sounds like you had some of your greatest healing progress within year 4???

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ch...]

• [Mi...]

• [ti...]

if i’m reading this correctly, it sounds like you had some of your greatest healing progress within year 4???

Hi pushthefeeling,

Yes, I went from "almost healed" to "fully healed" between years 4-5.  While I felt healed by year 4, looking back I can see that more progress was made over the next year.  My remaining few symptoms seemed to just disappear while I wasn't looking. I only gained insight into the healing arc in hindsight, but whilst I was going through it, I didn't see the overall progression because it was so unpredictable day to day and the the last bit was glacial.  If you are at year 4 in this journey, you have come a long way already.  That in and of itself takes a lot of strength.  I am assuming you might have some lingering symptoms you are still dealing with.  If so, hold on and take hope from my experience.  You will get there too!

:smitten:

She

Hi pushthefeeling,

Yes, I went from "almost healed" to "fully healed" between years 4-5.  While I felt healed by year 4, looking back I can see that more progress was made over the next year.  My remaining few symptoms seemed to just disappear while I wasn't looking. I only gained insight into the healing arc in hindsight, but whilst I was going through it, I didn't see the overall progression because it was so unpredictable day to day and the the last bit was glacial.  If you are at year 4 in this journey, you have come a long way already.  That in and of itself takes a lot of strength.  I am assuming you might have some lingering symptoms you are still dealing with.  If so, hold on and take hope from my experience.  You will get there too!

She

thank you so much. have a wonderful life !!!

Thank you for sharing, she. I really needed the encouragement. I’m feeling so helpless and hopeless today, but know in my heart this too shall pass! Congratulations on your recovery!❤️

Hi SJS,

So sorry you are struggling today.  Hold on!  There is hope and healing for you ahead.  I was once just where you are, and I'm sure went through many of the same things you are dealing with.  You will regain your life and yourself again just as I did.  Please take heart from my experience and know you too will get there.  Sending you lovely thoughts for the strength to just hang on until you do.

She

Hello, thank you for your story.

I wanted to give all and update on what has been going on with my health:

The past 52 days I have reduced my medication ( all of them ) some to zero. I have gone from a 50 mg equivalent of Valium down to 3.75 ( I had been holding at 7.5 mg for about 9 months.

This has been difficult, to say the least, but I don't know any other way I'll heal.

I currently have difficulty with my balance ( a kind of rocking thing, not like a boat rocking, it is me ). I have tons of strength and can do many things there.

My feet get red and burn up to my calves and I can't stand stand without holding onto things. ( my goal is to eat a sandwich standing firmly in the middle of a room ).

I had my last phone visit with my Nurse practitioner yesterday as she is moving on.

Any kind of guessing about what these things are I told her is not productive. ( all these things are symptoms of withdrawal ) and even if I had the insurance to get expensive diagnostics, they usually turn up negative.

Many people going through benzodiazepine withdrawal have all these same symptoms and it takes the brain time to recover from the injury...

But, boy this is scary. I mostly just workout 3 times a week, take daily walks and eat as well as I can. The rest of the time I lay down. I cut the grass once a week. It's precarious, but I have the lawn mower to lean on. Through out my feet are numb and have to be careful.

I'm trying my best, working hard at this.

In these 51 days I have come off of Divalproex, Quetiapine 25 mg ( I was so worried the balance issues are from this ).

All that remains is 3.75 mg of Valium and 150 mg bupropion.

Anymore input on my form of balance issues would be appreciated.

Thanks again, and I’m happy for your healing and testimony.

Hello,  I wanted to give you and update on what has been going on with my health:

The past 52 days I have reduced my medication ( all of them ) some to zero...500 mg of divalproex, quetiapine 25 mg.- I have gone from a 50 mg equivalent of Valium down to 3.75 mg ( I had been holding at 7.5 mg for about 9 months.

This has been difficult, to say the least, but I don't know any other way I'll heal.

I currently have difficulty with my balance ( a kind of rocking thing, not like a boat, I am ). I have tons of strength and can do many things there.

My feet get red and burn up to my calves and I can't stand stand without holding onto things. ( my goal is to eat a sandwich standing firmly in the middle of a room ).

I had my last phone visit with my Nurse practitioner yesterday as she is moving on.

Any kind of guessing about what these things are I told her is not productive. ( all these things are symptoms of withdrawal ) and even if I had the insurance to get expensive diagnostics, they usually turn up negative.

Many people going through benzodiazepine withdrawal have all these same symptoms and it takes the brain time to recover from the injury...

But, boy this is scary. I mostly just workout 3 times a week, take daily walks and eat as well as I can. The rest of the time I lay down. I cut the grass once a week. It's precarious, but I have the lawn mower to lean on. Through out my feet are numb and have to be careful.

I'm trying my best, working hard at this. Just thought you guys should know.

Thanks for you story.

Any other help with balance issues would be a relief.

Hello HopeFull01

You have done a great job of reducing your meds so far.  That has required a lot of strength and discipline so good for you.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with some very challenging problems. The issue of balance is pretty common in all phases of withdrawal as these drugs are powerful vestibular suppressants and as they are withdrawn, can cause some very debilitating symptoms.  I did not do anything specific for my balance issues and they faded very gradually over time.  It was one of the last things to return to my pre benzo baseline.

You have been very aggressively reducing all your meds.    You are doing all the right things IMO in getting some exercise, eating healthfully and getting rest.  You ARE trying your best and working very hard at it. I commend you.  Stay the course, distract yourself as much as possible and let time go by.  That's the hardest bit, as I well remember.  Hang on!  I got there and you will too.

She