Polydrugged

[Ir...]

Hi all

I’m new to the group and said I’d introduce myself. My story is complicated but the abbreviated version is as follows

Introduced to benzo’s by psychiatrist for anxiety (was already on an AD) in 2012(I had been prescribed benzo previously but only for short periods of 7 days or less for panic attacks after my twin brother had died)The benzo was Bromazepam - at first it helped greatly, but soon the anxiety was back x 100. Not being aware it was medication making things worse I was diagnosed with worsening MH and end up polydrugged on 8 psych meds simultaneously within 6 months. A year later I discovered that the drugs were my main issue, left my psychiatrist and started working with a psychologist (who was an ex GP) to taper off medications. Unfortunately due to too quick taper off SeroquelSept 2017 (100mg dose prescribed for sleep) I developed Akathisia that did not abate in reinstatement. I ended up in psych ward (Oct 2017)and was then CT off benzo which greatly increased the Akathisia and had Mirtazapine AD added. I left hospital in Jan 2018 and started tapering again immediately, and have recently just completed Seroquel taper (again as inpatient where they agreed to taper at 10% over a period of 5 months - I was in private psych hospital). I now have 4mg Mirtazapine, 4 mg diazepam (was reinstated on .5mg Clonazepam after the failed CT) and 7.5mg Zopiclone(sleeping pill)

I suffer the usual myriad of mental and physical effects of psych drug withdrawal, with the worst being severe Akathisia that can have me pacing for weeks on end for 12-18 hours a day - which has led me to attempting suicide on two occasions, such is the relentless , horrific torture of Akathisia. Thankfully I survived and continue daily to fight to regain my health and my life.

I have also been diagnosed by Neurologist with Akathisia, Parkinsonism and dystonia caused by psych drugs.  I have also become highly sensitive to most medications, foods and chemicals - which ramp up withdrawal symptoms.

Withdrawal has cost me everything, my long term relationship, my friends, my career, my financial independence, my sense of self, my dignity, my physical and mental health and worst of all my ability to be a dad to my children for long periods of time. I am lucky my brothers and sister have stood by me, and I have a place to stay and to try and recover (with a brother).

I plan on restarting benzo taper in next 4-6 weeks, once my body stabalises from finishing Seroquel taper.

I am at this game along time and have built up a lot of knowledge about the pharmacology of psych drugs, withdrawals and also the bodies ability to recover.  I luck forward to giving and receiving support here. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask

Thanks💚🙏

Hello Irish804,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! I'm terribly sorry for your loss. You certainly have been on a merry go round of medications and have suffered severe effects from the use of them. It's very sad to read about this and all you've lost, but your attitude of strength and commitment to regaining your health is admirable.

I think you are very wise to wait a period of time so your nervous system can stabilize before starting the benzo taper. Are you planning to also taper the zopiclone?  Zopiclone is a z drug and targets the same receptors in the brain as benzos.  These drugs need to be tapered in a manner similar to diazepam.

Since you are very sensitive to medications and have a long history with benzos and other drugs it will be important to taper very slowly. This can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms as well as allow your body to adjust to the dose changes. Generally a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. Some people go even slower, it's very important to listen to your body and make adjustments if necessary. I'll give you a link to the Planning Your Withdrawal Board for more information.

You may have already heard about the Ashton Manual, it is an excellent resource about benzos, tapering and withdrawal. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

We'll look forward to your contributions and we'll be happy to offer support and information to you as you start and complete your taper.  You'll find others here who have had lengthy medication histories, sharing experience and knowledge can be helpful. It's also wonderful to know you are not alone in what can be a challenging process.  Please feel free to ask questions we're here to help.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Irish1804, welcome:)

I can relate all too well on your psyche experiences.I am sorry that you have lost so much. I too have been polydrugged and have institutional visits. I now know that I had bad effects from meds that were tried to fix by adding more meds only making things worse. our mental health system needs an overhaul. As an LMSW I am disturbed by all of this. BUT.....

In spite of all of that i am healing. I am med free. My life is better today than it has been in a long time. It has been a journey and I am still recovering, but I wanted to write to give you hope. This is a journey that will take time. The brain and body need time to heal.

Don't be surprised if some of your "diagnosis" fall away as your body heals. Symptoms experienced from all these meds and the process of recovery can mimic other health conditions. Many others on this site have reported how they get tons of medical tests done only to find it was the benzos the whole time. ( But I will say it is prudent to get checked out just in case something legitimate is going on..)

There are people on this site who have stories like ours and have come through. Please have hope. You are among friends here.

• 2 years later...