Don't believe in a full recovery, brain damage is a fact

[je...]

2) If you've been off benzos for a year or two and have felt no improvement whatsoever, you are almost certainly sabotaging your own progress with a poor diet (sugar, caffeine, etc.), stress, overexertion, alcohol, supplements, and/or other drugs.

If two people were involved in a car accident, both of them sustained a traumatic brain injury, one of them returned to normal function in six months but the other one has years worth of ongoing cognitive issues would you dare to suggest that one of them wasn't healing because they drink coffee every morning?

That's gaslighting, and we get plenty of that from the doctors who prescribed us these drugs and the general public who thinks that something like this can't happen.

Caffeine is a physically and psychologically addictive stimulant that affects the central nervous system. Ingesting it during withdrawal could absolutely slow or halt your already frayed nervous system from repairing itself. I'm sorry if that fact makes you upset.

Please consider that the way you're treating me for criticizing caffeine is the same way people treat you for criticizing benzos. I am only trying to help.

Hi Jerry,

Maybe instead of trying to bring other people down, you could instead focus on lifting yourself up.

During the worst of my withdrawal (this was 16 months out, mind you), I felt completely hopeless and basically dead. My symptoms included nerve pain, headaches, cognitive impairment, air hunger, fatigue, paranoia, agoraphobia, depersonalization, derealization, intrusive thoughts, depression, blurred vision, heart palpitations, postnasal drip, and food intolerance. I couldn't do anything, couldn't enjoy anything, couldn't think, couldn't feel. I thought this was how life was going to be from now on.

I was wrong. Slowly, and not all at once, every single one of these symptoms subsided to nothing. If any came back, they were no longer debilitating, but mildly annoying. To give you an idea of how I'm feeling now, at 21 months off:

nerve pain - mostly gone

headaches - completely gone

cognitive impairment - mostly gone

air hunger - completely gone

fatigue - completely gone

paranoia - completely gone

agoraphobia - completely gone

depersonalization - completely gone

derealization - completely gone

intrusive thoughts - completely gone

depression - completely gone

blurred vision - mostly gone

heart palpitations - completely gone

postnasal drip - mostly gone

food intolerance - completely gone

To put it simply, I feel alive again. Life feels "real" and it feels like I'm actually living for the very first time. Ironically, I've become a better person from this. Not only am I doing things now that I wasn't doing earlier in withdrawal, I'm doing things now that I wasn't doing before in my life. Benzo withdrawal has literally helped me overcome the very problems I got on benzos for, so I guess in a sick way they "worked."

I don't know how long you were on benzos or how long you've been off them, but I can tell you two things:

1) It is wholly unreasonable to dull your brain with drugs every day for years, like I and many other people on this forum did, and then expect it to heal in just a handful of months.

2) If you've been off benzos for a year or two and have felt no improvement whatsoever, you are almost certainly sabotaging your own progress with a poor diet (sugar, caffeine, etc.), stress, overexertion, alcohol, supplements, and/or other drugs.

Best of luck to you. I hope one day you can look back on your post and marvel at how far you've come.

Disagree with #2. I am nearly 14 months off and have not only seen no improvement, it’s been slowly worsening to the point anwere I am now bedbound. I have an impeccable diet thanks to my family, no stress aka no responsibility, no overexertion, no alcohol, no other drugs or supplement. There is nothing I am doing to sabotage my own recovery, yet my body and genes just lack the ability to heal.

I'm very sorry to hear that. Experiences like yours are why I went out of my way to write "almost certainly" and not "always." I would like to add that, in my experience, recovery is an active process. Healing a broken bone involves time, but also physical therapy and exercise. I believe the brain heals much in the same way. Were we to just sit around at home all day simply waiting to get better, we'd likely get depressed and experience more of the very same symptoms we're attempting to undo. I think it's very important to remain active in whatever capacity we can.

I healed, if that is the right word.

I had a long, miserable, s/x-filled taper. I'm an author and I lost my ability to read and think, let alone write. I was scared to death that I would be left in some mindless gibbering hell and that my ability to work would never come back. But It did did. Slowly. The nausea, the headaches, the dizziness, the nerve pain, the tinnitus, the crazy fears and anxiety, the weird agoraphobia, the DP and DR, the fatigue. They gradually left. After a year, I was some better; after two, better still; after three years off, I was able to get back to my work.

I don't think I'm unusual. This was/is a rotten, miserable thing that happened. imo it just takes time for our brains to recover. So be patient. I know it's hard.

Oh, and btw I started to drink coffee about a year after my taper, and I have the occasional glass of wine. I didn't want benzo w/d to rob me of things I enjoyed in my pre-benzo life. I never experienced any ill effects. So . . . just sayin'.  :-\ Of course, everyone's different.

I hope this helps someone.

Katz

Caffeine is a physically and psychologically addictive stimulant that affects the central nervous system. Ingesting it during withdrawal could absolutely slow or halt your already frayed nervous system from repairing itself. I'm sorry if that fact makes you upset.

Please consider that the way you're treating me for criticizing caffeine is the same way people treat you for criticizing benzos. I am only trying to help.

Show us some proof that caffeine affects healing. You guessing that it does doesn't mean anything.

I would guess that at least 50% of people consume caffeine during withdrawal, and lots of them heal just fine.

Show us some proof that caffeine affects healing. You guessing that it does doesn't mean anything.

I would guess that at least 50% of people consume caffeine during withdrawal, and lots of them heal just fine.

Literally just type in "caffeine" in the search bar. You'll find many, many, many people saying caffeine worsened their symptoms. You'll also find a few people saying it didn't affect them at all. Same for alcohol. Same for weed. Same for painkillers. Same for sugar. If you were getting drunk every day and I suggested you try stopping for a while to see if that improves things, would you also be getting this upset?

All I'm saying is that when your CNS is overstimulated, it's generally best to stay away from things that further aggravate your CNS if you want it to heal. This includes sugar, other drugs, alcohol, nicotine, supplements, weightlifting, and, yes, caffeine. Do these substances impede everyone's progress? Absolutely not. Could they be impeding yours? Absolutely, so what do you have to lose by avoiding them for a while and finding out? That's what I did, and I noticed a big reduction in many of my symptoms.

Once again, I'd like to remind you that the way you're treating me for criticizing caffeine is the same way people treat you for criticizing benzos. I'm sure it's not a good feeling when people do that to you, so why are you doing it to me?

youre right. it is a fact.....for SOME people. not everyone will get permanent brain damage but SOME likely will.

none of us know whats ahead with any level of certainty. we come on here looking for knowledge and support; and we should believe in healing but understand that there is a SLIGHT chance of some irreversible lingering side effects.

as far as caffeine goes, i think its like booze, its going to set you back a few days but not as if you took a benzo, and youre definitely not starting over after you take it. (yes yes i know they are two different chemicals but my point is its merely a small setback)

if you have anxiety they tell you to stay away from all stimulants because they can make it worse. i have experienced this and know when its the caffeine vs external factors.

Literally just type in "caffeine" in the search bar. You'll find many, many, many people saying caffeine worsened their symptoms.

In the last 9 years here I have heard the same thing about just about everything under the sun. This illness presents itself in a very erratic manner with huge fluctuations in symptoms that come and go, so unless you really dig into it and try something many times it is very difficult to tell what causes what. Lots of people do everything "perfect" and still get slammed with waves.

There is a difference between flaring symptoms and slowing or stopping healing. I suspect that quite a few things can flare symptoms but very few things truly prevent healing.

These are extremely powerful neurotoxins. Yes, neurotoxins. https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/01/what-really-call-psychiatric-drugs/

Some people can come off of them and go back to living a normal life. Some people have significant problems that last for a few months or a few years before they heal once their CNS resets. Some people continue to have some type of symptoms that last for years or even indefinitely, and it is incredibly insulting to claim that the reason they are still suffering is because they are doing something wrong.

I have been sick for over 9 years. This has absolutely destroyed my life. If there were something that I felt would allow me to magically heal, I would do it tomorrow, but I have been here a long time and I have seen tons of people come and go and there simply isn't any consensus on what if anything can substantially improve healing.

Literally just type in "caffeine" in the search bar. You'll find many, many, many people saying caffeine worsened their symptoms.

In the last 9 years here I have heard the same thing about just about everything under the sun. This illness presents itself in a very erratic manner with huge fluctuations in symptoms that come and go, so unless you really dig into it and try something many times it is very difficult to tell what causes what. Lots of people do everything "perfect" and still get slammed with waves.

There is a difference between flaring symptoms and slowing or stopping healing. I suspect that quite a few things can flare symptoms but very few things truly prevent healing.

These are extremely powerful neurotoxins. Yes, neurotoxins. https://www.madinamerica.com/2018/01/what-really-call-psychiatric-drugs/

Some people can come off of them and go back to living a normal life. Some people have significant problems that last for a few months or a few years before they heal once their CNS resets. Some people continue to have some type of symptoms that last for years or even indefinitely, and it is incredibly insulting to claim that the reason they are still suffering is because they are doing something wrong.

I have been sick for over 9 years. This has absolutely destroyed my life. If there were something that I felt would allow me to magically heal, I would do it tomorrow, but I have been here a long time and I have seen tons of people come and go and there simply isn't any consensus on what if anything can substantially improve healing.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and I don't see how you could possibly get any better if you keep telling yourself you are irreparably broken all the time. If you insist on feeling bad, your brain will happily oblige.

Me, I was an absolute mess for ten years, from the age of twelve to twenty-two. I had somehow managed to convince myself that I was a fundamentally nervous and unhappy person. I spent much time on forums and imageboards surrounded by similarly-minded people, each of us reinforcing the other's despair.

Had you told me two years ago I would soon become the most happy, creative, productive, and outgoing I've ever been I would have first laughed in your face then cried myself to sleep.

Best of luck to you, my friend. Please do consider what I said about contraindications and the importance of your attitude.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and I don't see how you could possibly get any better if you keep telling yourself you are irreparably broken all the time. If you insist on feeling bad, your brain will happily oblige.

Me, I was an absolute mess for ten years, from the age of twelve to twenty-two. I had somehow managed to convince myself that I was a fundamentally nervous and unhappy person. I spent much time on forums and imageboards surrounded by similarly-minded people, each of us reinforcing the other's despair.

Had you told me two years ago I would soon become the most happy, creative, productive, and outgoing I've ever been I would have first laughed in your face then cried myself to sleep.

Best of luck to you, my friend. Please do consider what I said about contraindications and the importance of your attitude.

Attitude is helpful for coping, but it doesn’t cure the original problem.

Why do ppl come on here and say things like this? It's fear mongering and downright dangerous to those who are hanging on by a thread. I'm surprised the moderators allow it. Very triggering.

Sorry you’re so offended. Don’t talk to me like that.

How about I talk to you like that tough guy. Keep your fear mongering out of here.

edit: profanity

Tidefan,

I’ve said I believe that this can be an extremely long lasting and possibly permanent injury twice, and both times you’ve lost your mind. This is the real world. This isn’t rainbows and unicorn land to tell Tidefan whatever makes her feel better. People will have different opinions from you. Get mad at the OP, not me. I stated my opinion and you lost your shit. Is that how you act in real life? If so, you’re causing yourself unnecessary strife. I hope you heal from benzos.

And to you, CMZ18. You need to mind your mouth. There won’t always be mods to run to. I hope you learn to control yourself for your own good. I hope you heal from benzos.

Pam, I’m sure you won’t be happy with this response, but I only stated my opinion and people lost their minds and cursed me. I hope we can all learn from this.

Good luck to you all.

DBM

Please watch this:

I had everything you have and I have 2 mycotoxins, Lyme, and Bartonella. It's not benzo w/d for me and might not be for you.

Why do ppl come on here and say things like this? It's fear mongering and downright dangerous to those who are hanging on by a thread. I'm surprised the moderators allow it. Very triggering.

How about I talk to you like that tough guy. Keep your fear mongering out of here.

Tidefan,

I’ve said I believe that this can be an extremely long lasting and possibly permanent injury twice, and both times you’ve lost your mind. This is the real world. This isn’t rainbows and unicorn land to tell Tidefan whatever makes her feel better. People will have different opinions from you. Get mad at the OP, not me. I stated my opinion and you lost your shit. Is that how you act in real life? If so, you’re causing yourself unnecessary strife. I hope you heal from benzos.

And to you, CMZ18. You need to mind your mouth. There won’t always be mods to run to. I hope you learn to control yourself for your own good. I hope you heal from benzos.

Pam, I’m sure you won’t be happy with this response, but I only stated my opinion and people lost their minds and cursed me. I hope we can all learn from this.

Good luck to you all.

DBM

I have never “lost my mind” once on this forum. Please feel free to look through my posts and cite your source. I don’t have many posts so it won’t take long. I’ve always been supportive and positive to everyone. It seems you are very combative and a bit paranoid. I hope you don’t treat ppl this way in real life. At any rate, I wish you healing and happiness. Maybe you adopting a positive outlook will help speed up this process. It certainly wouldn’t hurt.

Tidefan,

Good luck to you all.

DBM

I have never “lost my mind” once on this forum. Please feel free to look through my posts and cite your source. I don’t have many posts so it won’t take long. I’ve always been supportive and positive to everyone. It seems you are very combative and a bit paranoid. I hope you don’t treat ppl this way in real life. At any rate, I wish you healing and happiness. Maybe you adopting a positive outlook will help speed up this process. It certainly wouldn’t hurt.

DBM,

Since you invoked me, I'll respond.  I feel your initial complaint about Tidefan was incorrect, we don't have anyway of knowing if she was responding to your comment or that of the OP since she didn't quote you, as seen here:

I also disagree with your opinion that Tidefan "lost her shit", it looks to me like it was you who took it to the next level.

And lastly, your veiled threat to CMZ18 is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.

Pamster

DBM,

Wow, you are really rude and negative. It seems anyone who doesn’t want to get down on your level and wallow is “losing their shit”. So unnecessarily dramatic. And to call out Pamster of all people, who is beyond kind. Unbelievable.

I never claimed that I am "irreparably broken", but when you are dealing with protracted withdrawal at some point you realize that you have to acknowledge that there is a possibility that some symptoms may be permanent. The world's foremost expert on benzos, Heather Ashton was very clear that this is possible. So I don't appreciate the gaslighting.

It's really easy to believe that it's just a matter of thinking positive thoughts when you were one of the lucky ones who healed early.

From what I’ve seen from the long time that I’ve been on these forums is that the vast majority of us get better. Sometimes you will get worse for a while before you get better, but you will. There might be a few symptoms that last a very long time, but it will be nothing like the first few months or years off.

I’m one of the rare severely protracted ones; I still have waves when stressed, but it is so much better. I live a full life, even with the ongoing sensitized nervous system from the drug damage years ago.

You might think you have permanent brain damage but it is a lie. The brain will heal given the right environment and enough time.

The right environment equates to minimizing stress as much as possible, nutrition, rest, distraction, mindfulness, acceptance.

Time is different for everyone. You cannot force it, fight it, or bemoan the fact that you are still sick years out. Self pity does not help. Accept and let time pass. You will get better.

I don't know about permanent damage and whether that is true or not, but I am starting to feel a little optimistic about my future again. Back in March (when I was off of bzds for about a month), I was able to build a PC computer from scratch. I've used mostly used but quality parts, and I somehow managed to pull it off. And my hardware skills are mediocre at best. Then, I put another PC together last month. I am also working on slowly restarting my career (this will take a long while), and have been learning mobile programming on Android, using the programming language called Kotlin. I'd never programmed mobile devices in my life, and there's no way in Hell I could have done this during a string of several painful years I'd gone through with this torturous syndrome. My endless thanks to all the kind folks that have offered me help and support during those bleak months when I felt there was no hope at all.

Of course, I still suffer from a lot of problems I either didn't have or didn't have to such degree before benzos, but I am pleasantly surprised how brain fog/cognitive fog have gotten so much better for me. In the deepest, darkest days, I didn't think it was possible, but here I stand corrected. The insomnia, on the other hand, is still pretty ugly, but I am hoping it will slowly resolve.

From what I’ve seen from the long time that I’ve been on these forums is that the vast majority of us get better. Sometimes you will get worse for a while before you get better, but you will. There might be a few symptoms that last a very long time, but it will be nothing like the first few months or years off.

I’m one of the rare severely protracted ones; I still have waves when stressed, but it is so much better. I live a full life, even with the ongoing sensitized nervous system from the drug damage years ago.

You might think you have permanent brain damage but it is a lie. The brain will heal given the right environment and enough time.

The right environment equates to minimizing stress as much as possible, nutrition, rest, distraction, mindfulness, acceptance.

Time is different for everyone. You cannot force it, fight it, or bemoan the fact that you are still sick years out. Self pity does not help. Accept and let time pass. You will get better.

Is your sensitive nervous system still making you exercise intolerant and food sensitive? Still tired, brain stuck?

I can excercise just fine now without any problems, but need to be careful not to overdo it. I don’t have any food sensitivities, my brain works ok. What is left is mostly anxiety based symptoms. When I have a period of intense stress, I get a wave a few days later. Dealing with one now, but still very functional.

I took benzodiazepines on and off for more than 30 years, had a rough taper and longish recovery and have made a complete recovery in every way...physically, mentally and emotionally. I’m in better mental and physical health than nearly everyone I know who’s my age.

For all the claims of brain damage, I have yet to see a link to evidence of such.

LorazepamFree I’m happy to see you posting good progress.  :smitten:

I believe some people heal, others don’t. I it’s a matter of initial damage and genetics and luck. Just because one person heals from this doesn’t mean everybody does.

I'm not really sure what to think, but I know that my brain is now extremely sensitive to some substances that I never had a problem with before benzos. It only took about 15 pills to screw my brain up in a 2-½ week period. Totally crazy the amount of suffering I've had from that. I've had two setbacks from alcohol. One took 10 months to get over and then a second one that took 4 months to get over. I'm now in my third setback and I'm around 6-½ years off. And this was (from what I think) either an LDN shot at the ER or the Lactulose laxative they told me to take. I'm now back in hell for the last 3 months with no idea how much longer it's going to last. I went 2-½ years feeling almost 100% healed and now I'm barely sleeping at night again. I was sleeping 6-½ to 7-½ hours every night and sometimes 8 to 10 on the weekend. And I could usually fall asleep within 15 to 20 minutes. None of this makes any sense to me and now I'll always be afraid of ANY substance from now on. The other thing that doesn't make any sense to me is that I could usually drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee in the morning and even on occasion had an espresso after dinner when out and could fall right to sleep at night with no problems. I even had a course of the antibiotic Cipro at the end of 2019 that didn't cause me any problems. I'm just confused and depressed to have gotten better several times and to keep having these terrible setbacks. I take ownership of the first two because I was stupid to drink alcohol again. But I had no way of knowing this would happen to me like this. I'm now back to only sleeping almost every other night and have a lot of the other symptoms that had gone away. 

Did you get a heavy-duty shot of LDN at the ER, Siggy?

I'm so sorry this happened, but I've seen this time and time again on BB. This can be a very long process depending on how sensitive your cns is. I know mine is VERY sensitive, and I've had hospitalizations in which I was given many pills, all causing setbacks that I wasn't aware of beforehand. Now I have a great fear of going to hospitals! I was on an AB, Bactrim, and was hallucinating. I thought I would die and told my family I would. They didn't believe me. It was a frightening experience, to say the least, as I didn't know I was allergic to sulfa.

Doctors so easily prescribe pills, but for some of us they may unleash more sensitivity in the cns, leading to setbacks.

You'll heal from this, Siggy, but the question is how long will you have to go through this? It took my brother-in-law 10 years to finally feel that he'd gotten through everything, and he now has no problems with anything - even alcohol and exercise.

This can be a damn slow slog fraught with fear. You could take a drug-gene test to see which drugs to steer clear of.

GOOD LUCK, Siggy!!!

Did you get a heavy-duty shot of LDN at the ER, Siggy?

I'm so sorry this happened, but I've seen this time and time again on BB. This can be a very long process depending on how sensitive your cns is. I know mine is VERY sensitive, and I've had hospitalizations in which I was given many pills, all causing setbacks that I wasn't aware of beforehand. Now I have a great fear of going to hospitals! I was on an AB, Bactrim, and was hallucinating. I thought I would die and told my family I would. They didn't believe me. It was a frightening experience, to say the least, as I didn't know I was allergic to sulfa.

Doctors so easily prescribe pills, but for some of us they may unleash more sensitivity in the cns, leading to setbacks.

You'll heal from this, Siggy, but the question is how long will you have to go through this? It took my brother-in-law 10 years to finally feel that he'd gotten through everything, and he now has no problems with anything - even alcohol and exercise.

This can be a damn slow slog fraught with fear. You could take a drug-gene test to see which drugs to steer clear of.

GOOD LUCK, Siggy!!!

Thanks for the reply Terry38! I don't know if it was heavy-duty or not. It was a pretty small syringe that I barely felt in my arm. Long story short is that I have IBS-D and had jury duty. I normally will use Imodium (an opiate that stays in the bowels and stops diarrhea) if I know I might be stuck somewhere without easy access to a bathroom. The stupid trial they put me on ended up being 2-½ weeks! So I actually constipated myself up too badly  (never had that happen in my life) and ended up going to the ER. In hind sight I should have just gone to CVS and got an OTC one and never bothered with the ER. I left Jury Duty because of it and thought they would want records of why I left early. Anyway, the LDN was to counteract the Opiate in the Imodium. The whole situation is pretty stupid and I should have just tried to get a medical note. But I didn't prepare for that. Most of the Jury Duties I've ever been called for I'be been released. And even most civil trials are 2 to 5 days typical. Just feel like I royally screwed up the good health I had. I had no idea the LDN might do that to me. Plus the stress of the whole ordeal didn't help.

Sorry to hear about your reaction to Bactrim. How long did it take before you got over the reaction. Was your BIL sick for 10 years, or just how long it took his CNS to fully recover?

For all the claims of brain damage, I have yet to see a link to evidence of such.

What would you call 9.5 years and counting of severe cognitive issues (along with other symptoms that are very similar to TBI symptoms) that only appeared immediately after I stopped taking a benzo?