Fabulous Fifties Support Group

[Do...]

I'm another 1968 monkey. We musn't scare off the others! Anyone out there who is 59?

Hi Baroness. I love your quote from Beloved (I don't know the book but I love the quote, I hadn't read it before).

Why are you looking for a fifty niner may I ask?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ul...]

• [va...]

• [Do...]

• [NJ...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I'm fading out of this 50's group (before I ever got int) and heading to the 60's group. I'm 59 and it really ain't great. I'm an in-betweener! Benzos definitely chew, but we'll all get off them. I was given some killer cocktails beginning in '94 and I didn't start to get a clue of the damage of listening to doctors until around 2015. I was on klonopin and Prozac from the very first day in '94 (actually, Xanax to start for a while then crossed over to k quickly) and then had many drugs added in along the way. I got off all meds except k and I've been tapering that thing for well over 4 1/2 years. Fried and exhausted while trying to do this while working full-time, but I'm going along. My best to all of you!! We'll all get up to speed and back to normal before long. Well, "normal" is a setting on a washing machine, but you get my drift. Hugs to you!

Jeff

Jeff, you can stay here when you turn 60. Men are a precious rarity here  :laugh:

Congrats for the long taper and for holding your job.

Awwww!! I’ve been offline a few days thanks to busy work days and crawling back home exhausted and straight to bed. So just catching up on my 50’s Buds (yes, Jeff, we’re keepin ya!) and have a big smile on my face after reading your posts. We have all been through so much and yet look at the capacity we have to share with and support one another. Add to that that we’re Fabulous Fifty-ish Rock Stars!  :D

Headed to bed but wanted to say THANKS for making my day!

Peace, healing and hugs to all!!

Awwww!! I’ve been offline a few days thanks to busy work days and crawling back home exhausted and straight to bed. So just catching up on my 50’s Buds (yes, Jeff, we’re keepin ya!) and have a big smile on my face after reading your posts. We have all been through so much and yet look at the capacity we have to share with and support one another. Add to that that we’re Fabulous Fifty-ish Rock Stars!  :D

Headed to bed but wanted to say THANKS for making my day!

Peace, healing and hugs to all!!

Blessings to you and Valiumnomore!! I see that you're on that Pristiq stuff, huh? That was one of my last few cocktail drugs that I tapered off of. After Pristiq I got off Prozac and now I'm working on the klonopin. What a freakin' ride!!! Onwards we all go.

Hugs to all.

Jeff

Hey Jeff- how did you do with the Pristiq weaning? And HOW did you do it since they are ER tabs. I’m wanting to just start cutting those babies in half and quickly get off. I only take 25mg of that one and 10 of the nortriptyline. I think the N is going to be the harder of the two. But what do I know!

Good morning from South Jersey, 50 Peeps!

Just checking in to see how everyone made out over the weekend. Did you find anything new to help in your taper/recovery? Please share!

It was 65-70 degrees here this weekend which is crazy.. but amazing. I got out both days for hikes and got to my usual morning Sunday yoga class in the salt room. Has anyone tried salt therapy? There is something to it for sure!

Wishing you a good start to your week.

Peace, healing and hugs,

J

Hey Jeff- how did you do with the Pristiq weaning? And HOW did you do it since they are ER tabs. I’m wanting to just start cutting those babies in half and quickly get off. I only take 25mg of that one and 10 of the nortriptyline. I think the N is going to be the harder of the two. But what do I know!

I got you on the PM :)

Jeff

I'm another 1968 monkey. We musn't scare off the others! Anyone out there who is 59?

Hi Baroness. I love your quote from Beloved (I don't know the book but I love the quote, I hadn't read it before).

Why are you looking for a fifty niner may I ask?

Jesus, don’t want to be thinking about that book with benzo terror.

[00...]

Just a couple videos you might like.  I shared them on another board also just to pass them along.  One is a meditation one is yoga.

B

Good morning from South Jersey, 50 Peeps!

Just checking in to see how everyone made out over the weekend. Did you find anything new to help in your taper/recovery? Please share!

It was 65-70 degrees here this weekend which is crazy.. but amazing. I got out both days for hikes and got to my usual morning Sunday yoga class in the salt room. Has anyone tried salt therapy? There is something to it for sure!

Wishing you a good start to your week.

Peace, healing and hugs,

J

I am jealous! I am in north Jersey but spent all of Saturday in a gym watching a competition my son was involved in. Did get a walk in yesterday.

I am not sleeping well again which is very disappointing! I was sleeping so well before Christmas break but have not gotten back into a good routine I guess.

• 1 month later...

Im 53, soon to be 54. Fourteen months off ativan. I too have the chest flutters, palpitations, and butterflies. Chest pain has diminished, but I also want to feel true JOY again. Im much better than I was a year ago, but really would like to regain my true emotions again. I feel very neutral, especially around those I love. I dont feel happy when I should be happy or sad when I should be sad. Can any of you 50+ers relate? Looking forward to healing more in 2020!

Hi, I'm 53 and poly drugged at this young tender age. I'm determined to get through this. Fp1984 I get it and relate completely to what you are trying to explain. It's all a paradox at the moment. My biggest struggle is vision and Derealisation, which I have joined a DP/DR support group, but I seem to be the oldest. Does that make me young getting DR at this age? I hope we heal soon, as I want to get hiking again.

Im 53, soon to be 54. Fourteen months off ativan. I too have the chest flutters, palpitations, and butterflies. Chest pain has diminished, but I also want to feel true JOY again. Im much better than I was a year ago, but really would like to regain my true emotions again. I feel very neutral, especially around those I love. I dont feel happy when I should be happy or sad when I should be sad. Can any of you 50+ers relate? Looking forward to healing more in 2020!

Hi, I'm 53 and poly drugged at this young tender age. I'm determined to get through this. Fp1984 I get it and relate completely to what you are trying to explain. It's all a paradox at the moment. My biggest struggle is vision and Derealisation, which I have joined a DP/DR support group, but I seem to be the oldest. Does that make me young getting DR at this age? I hope we heal soon, as I want to get hiking again.

I hear ya! I'm 59, almost in my 5th year of this taper, and fried while trying to do this while working full-time, but woe is me...I'll get over it! Hiking again sounds great. Bless ya, and keep on fighting it :)

Jeff

Hi y'all,

I like to join this group.  I'm 52 and have been in in WD for 4 years straight - Klonopin then Seroquel, mirtazepine.  Had a massive reaction to steroids a year ago then to antibiotics 6 months ago.  No end to this misery in sight.  Still on Trazodone.

I too have had my period messed up by WD, all blood tests show I am not in menopause.  I come from a family with all the women reaching menopause in late 50s, so I am 100% sure that my issues are from WD.  Can't say I miss it though - don't care if it never returns, lol.

I was a stay at home mom for 18 years and it was leading to some depression because I felt useless.  For many years I wanted to return to work, but WD made it impossible.  I tried to go back to work 6 months ago but had to quit because the reaction to the antibiotics was/is intense and I could not function - I was bummed. One month ago I tried again to work and I have hung on, but it is hard, the cognitive fog and fatigue are insane.  But I am determined to make it work otherwise the depression from being mindlessly bored will set in again.

If you are severely destabilized, please try to avoid steroids and antibiotics if you can. They can bring you to your knees.

Best wishes to all of you (us) in our life journey ahead.

Hi y'all,

I like to join this group.  I'm 52 and have been in in WD for 4 years straight - Klonopin then Seroquel, mirtazepine.  Had a massive reaction to steroids a year ago then to antibiotics 6 months ago.  No end to this misery in sight.  Still on Trazodone.

I too have had my period messed up by WD, all blood tests show I am not in menopause.  I come from a family with all the women reaching menopause in late 50s, so I am 100% sure that my issues are from WD.  Can't say I miss it though - don't care if it never returns, lol.

I was a stay at home mom for 18 years and it was leading to some depression because I felt useless.  For many years I wanted to return to work, but WD made it impossible.  I tried to go back to work 6 months ago but had to quit because the reaction to the antibiotics was/is intense and I could not function - I was bummed. One month ago I tried again to work and I have hung on, but it is hard, the cognitive fog and fatigue are insane.  But I am determined to make it work otherwise the depression from being mindlessly bored will set in again.

If you are severely destabilized, please try to avoid steroids and antibiotics if you can. They can bring you to your knees.

I had a horrific reaction to an antibiotic while I was trying to taper. It really set me back.

I checked my phone this morning and I have not had a cycle in 137 days. I am really hoping this is it. I want this to be done!

I work from home, which is such a blessing, maybe if you could find a remote position it might be easier to work?

I am having a hard time. Too much stress. My son is leaving to hike for six months next week and I am thrilled he can live out his dream, but my anxious mind is going through all the stuff that could happen to him. My other son is starting to freak out about not getting into college ... his SAT scores aren't where he wants them. Trying now to find a tutor for him. It's all exhausting.

Hi y'all,

I had a horrific reaction to an antibiotic while I was trying to taper. It really set me back.

I checked my phone this morning and I have not had a cycle in 137 days. I am really hoping this is it. I want this to be done!

I work from home, which is such a blessing, maybe if you could find a remote position it might be easier to work?

I am having a hard time. Too much stress. My son is leaving to hike for six months next week and I am thrilled he can live out his dream, but my anxious mind is going through all the stuff that could happen to him. My other son is starting to freak out about not getting into college ... his SAT scores aren't where he wants them. Trying now to find a tutor for him. It's all exhausting.

I guess I'm lucky that I haven't had any kind of cycle to show up :) . Seriously, I do understand how the mind flies in the wrong direction at times. It's amazing to me how my mind runs crazy early in the mornings every single day. It starts about 4am and continues until about noon, depending on how things are going otherwise. I bet your sons will be totally fine and will probably excel at what they're doing. They're probably young and resilient. A friend of mine hikes the Appalachian Trail a ton and he's heading out for a 6 month trek next month.

One other thing before I forget...how did you find (or how do you recommend I find) a work-from-home remote position. I've been wanting to pursue that for years. I did a little checking last year and all of the positions I found paid really low. I don't make much now, but I need to make at least the same on any new direction I take. Any advice?

Hang on tight!

Jeff

flexjobs.com has remote jobs

remote.co also

Indeed has a search feature for remote

I work in nonprofit sector and there is a remote nonprofit group on FB; I imagine other sectors have the same type of groups.

I don't think I could work in an office right now. I was falling apart at my last job.

flexjobs.com has remote jobs

remote.co also

Indeed has a search feature for remote

I work in nonprofit sector and there is a remote nonprofit group on FB; I imagine other sectors have the same type of groups.

I don't think I could work in an office right now. I was falling apart at my last job.

:thumbsup:

Hi young people!! I'm 51 and on Clonazepam since november 2010 for anxiety high blood preasure and difficult to sleep. In August 2018 started vision problems left hand problems then rosacea then balance problems. All tests ok. Start tapering december 2019 from 0.5 clonazepam. Now at 0.25mg. It is incredible how K affects all our body and brain. Bad days and good days. I learn how to recognise the bad ones and tolerate them till good days come again. I know staying in this group will make leaving benzo possible!!!

Hi Ultra2007!!  My favourite sitcom is Seinfeld!!!!!!! Maybe we return to our lives and Seinfeld returs too  :D

Hi Ultra2007!!  My favourite sitcom is Seinfeld!!!!!!! Maybe we return to our lives and Seinfeld returs too  :D

Seinfeld rules! It's my major form (and most fun) distraction. There's a Seinfeld Addicts group on FaceBook that I like, but other than that I just don't get on FB much at all. I'd rather watch it on TV! We have all seasons on CD, so it's fun to jump in and check things out for fun...not that there's anything wrong with that!! :)

Jeff