So much better after detoxing with NAD+

[Sh...]

NFN, you still on another med, aren't you?

I ask because how can you tell what is what and is it possible the other med mitigates withdrawal?  Not challenging you at all here... just wondering.

You and Shamo are you the only BB people who have tried this successfully, do you know?  Are there any kind of statistics for success?

Hope these are not lame questions...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [...]

• [ra...]

• [Ba...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Not lame questions Barbara. Something so expensive and so intense should be thoroughly checked out! There are no statistics that I'm aware of unfortunately. I think you're asking how do I know it was the NAD that helped me?

When I went in for my treatment, I was on lorazepam for many years, 10mg Elavil, and a triptan I took daily for migraine. I wasn't planning on getting off that last one, but it interfered with the NAD, so I stopped it also. On the last day of my tx, my doc prescribed an NSAID so I had something I could use for my migraines, but I didn't take it daily. Other than that I had no other Rx, until about 5 months after, when I was already feeling good, just desperate to fall asleep faster. At that point I begged my doctor for Remeron after reading how great it was on here. But otherwise was feeling really good. That was a mistake, it worked great for 3 nights and then started causing a return of w/d symptoms. I'm just a woos when it comes to suffering, so I'm still tapering that, it's liquid compounded, and I'm close to being done. Not having any noticeable sxs from that, unless maybe headaches.

I'm aware of 2 other people on BB who had success with this tx, fishyfishy5 and limeedition, and I know I've seen others. We can only share our experiences. It's certainly not a perfect treatment as I've mentioned before and I really encourage people to talk to providers in addition to talking to those of us who have done it.

I decided to give it a go after reading a success story by fishyfish. He said he was a mess from benzos and other things and was basically healed 3 months after the treatment. I also notice that if I take other stuff it can make sx worse. I took a beta blocker a couple of weeks ago as a one off and i started feeling worse for a couple of days. Even something so benign as that can do it...so I'm avoiding everything for a long while.

Thanks for those details.

I wonder why remeron brought back your withdrawal feelings?  I think it's a miserable drug but that is curious.

So success by 4 BBs, that is pretty good compared to other things, I think!

thx again.

There's another that's on one of my FB groups that just did it starting about 5 days after her jump and has considered it to be a great success.  I don't think she already had a lot of physical though.  I'm slowly tapering Valium and while crossing over from K has provided a lot of relief, still very symptomatic and know my symptoms could come back at any time.  Extreme hypersensitivities (all), extreme hyperacusis especially, and muscle fisculations, akathisia, insomnia, crying spell, rage - those were probably my worst symptoms really.

So if you are on other meds, does the treatment block or interfere with those?  So I'm on 50 mg of Zoloft and 36 mg of Seroquel (for sleep) - have been on these 2 for years.  I'd love to ditch them to but it's the benzo causing me the hell so that's what I'm focused on. 

So what anti-seizure med is given for most?  Tegretol/Trileptal?

Barbara, I don't know why I reacted to the Remeron, but my guess is it has something to do with the receptors. But with the tiny dose I'm on right now I don't notice anything.

Momof7, my doctor used Dilantin for the antiseizure, and I heard that was used at another place too. As far as the interaction with other meds, I think it also has to do with what receptors they work on. The migraine med I used, a triptan, hit one of the same receptors as the lorazepam, and my doctor felt that was the reason I was experiencing a problem. The problem was from the 2nd day of my IV my migraines just went through the roof in pain, and I had to take twice as much of the triptan to manage it. That concerned me a lot as that drug is not supposed to be used that much. But the doctor did not know about this ahead of time. One day I was worried for my life and I told him I wasn't coming back until he could figure out what was going on. I think a lot of the antidepressants also hit some of the same receptors as benzos, so I'm not sure how the NAD docs handle that. But at least they should be more familiar with that scenario since NAD is also used for AD's.

There's another that's on one of my FB groups that just did it starting about 5 days after her jump and has considered it to be a great success.  I don't think she already had a lot of physical though.  I'm slowly tapering Valium and while crossing over from K has provided a lot of relief, still very symptomatic and know my symptoms could come back at any time.  Extreme hypersensitivities (all), extreme hyperacusis especially, and muscle fisculations, akathisia, insomnia, crying spell, rage - those were probably my worst symptoms really.

So if you are on other meds, does the treatment block or interfere with those?  So I'm on 50 mg of Zoloft and 36 mg of Seroquel (for sleep) - have been on these 2 for years.  I'd love to ditch them to but it's the benzo causing me the hell so that's what I'm focused on. 

So what anti-seizure med is given for most?  Tegretol/Trileptal?

That's awesome that it helped someone else too.

In my opinion, I think if you go to do the treatment and spend all that money you might as well get clean of everything and try and heal naturally. The NAD will block and diminish a lot of symptoms you would normally get and it helps you to turbo charge healing. Other meds can deff interfere with it...the lyrica I was taking as well was stopping the effects of NAD so I had to massively reduce my dose. Alcohol/lyrica/gabapentin...anything that hits gaba receptors 'chews' up the NAD is what my doc told me so I'm sure other meds have an effect too.

You have to really ask yourself.... if I feel this bad atm anyway, what's the point of staying medicated on all these drugs so I don't know what's what? I'm no doctor but I would bet that your best chance is to start fresh and see how you go.

Hey Shamo and NFN.... describe how the CT and NAD felt. I'm likely going to go in next month to Ken Starr. I'm going to finish getting off this .135K and maybe jump CT from my Remeron at the same one. The mental symptoms I know can be bad, but the physical stuff is what kills me.... the nausea, hyperacusis, etc. What physical stuff did you go through. I had a partial CT last year from 1.25K down to .25K, and ended up updosing to .5K. The insomnia, akathisia, high BP, tachycardia, adrenaline rushes, agoraphobia, Non-stop Terror and racing thoughts, and constant retching was terrible. Really scared of these things again. I never had any psych issues prior to these meds.

Hey Shamo and NFN.... describe how the CT and NAD felt. I'm likely going to go in next month to Ken Starr. I'm going to finish getting off this .135K and maybe jump CT from my Remeron at the same one. The mental symptoms I know can be bad, but the physical stuff is what kills me.... the nausea, hyperacusis, etc. What physical stuff did you go through. I had a partial CT last year from 1.25K down to .25K, and ended up updosing to .5K. The insomnia, akathisia, high BP, tachycardia, adrenaline rushes, agoraphobia, Non-stop Terror and racing thoughts, and constant retching was terrible. Really scared of these things again. I never had any psych issues prior to these meds.

I was stuck on 5mg V the most recent time and couldn't go any further because of physical sx. I tried halfing my dose to 2.5 because I wanted off ASAP and got extreme burning skin...especially in my feet. I tried a couple of times and only lasted a few days before going back up to 5mg. When I did the NAD CT I jumped off the 5mg and I didn't even get ANY burning. I don't know how it worked but it did. The rest of my physical sx were just coming from food. Almost everything would set me off feeling disgusting and heart pounding a lot. That's gotten a lot better in just 6 weeks.

Fighterk, exciting! As I said before, your situation parallels Shamo's much more than mine. In general, I would just say that it would be normal for your symptoms to shift, possibly every day, and keep in mind that's part of the healing process, not a sign that something's wrong. And be gentle with yourself, it's an anxious time because you don't know exactly how it will go. Like how anyone would be going in for a procedure of any kind. I even had symptoms that lasted just hours. One example was when toward the end of my 2 weeks and we decided to dump the migraine med that was causing problems. For the 1st 2 days of that CT, I'd go in get hooked up, become nauseous and light headed, but it was gone in 2-3 hours, and by lunch time I was ready to eat. It was crazy and actually impressed me it could work like that. For people going in cold like me, days 3-4 are usually the worst. But with people already in withdrawal I don't know if it's like that. It would probably be helpful to have expectations that it might get worse before it gets better, then you can only be pleasantly relieved if that doesn't happen :).  Keep reminding yourself you're a tough cookie to handle everything you have so far, and you can do this too.

NFN - the extreme migraines COULD have also been from CTing your benzo as well and not from the NAD.  When I did a c/o from Klonopin to Valium, I got extreme head pressure that did go away, thank goodness.  But I know this is a common BW symptom.  Thanks so much for all of you explaining this.  I'm praying I can just slowly microtaper the Valium and survive this and get off but I will not write off NAD because I'm seeing so many that do go through with it have good outcomes overall.  As far as "receptors", I don't think that benzos and SSRIs, etc are affected by the same receptors but the liver enzymes and pathways may be shared. 

Momof7, very good point with the migraines, and I wouldn't doubt some of them were withdrawal too. But there was a strange pattern to them, my medication stopped working, and then I developed a symptom neither the doctor or nurses had ever seen before. That's when I started getting really concerned. When I finally had the doctor look into it he felt there was some interaction going on there because the 2 meds shared one receptor. I really don't know anything about these meds and what receptors they hit, but since my experience I encourage people to talk to their NAD dr about all medications they're on, and hopefully they can find someone knowledgable about it.

Merry xmas everyone. I chose to stay home from family commitments today as my mental symptoms arent good and I don't feel like white knuckling it through and pretending to be happy. My physical sx continue to improve a lot and are almost 100% gone at 7 weeks since the NAD+.

Merry Christmas Shamo! It's probably over by now your time, but know you have many of us around the world thinking about you. It's wonderful your physical sxs are gone after 7 wks, and by next Christmas I hope you'll be in perfect shape to enjoy the holidays. You give people hope and support by sharing your story. Many blessings to you.

So did the NAD infusion heal most of the physical symptoms but you still have the mental symptoms?? Did you see any improvements in mental symptoms at all?? Do you have fatigue?? I’m 30 months off and curious about this treatment (not that I can afford it right now), but a lot of my symptoms are mental, I wonder if the treatment works for protracted cases (me) or just people coming off the drugs?

Hi guys,

Thought Id stop in for an update at 2 months since NAD+. I am doing quite well and feel another positive turn in the last week. I am feeling better mentally and more happy and hopeful. The defeated, depressive spells are getting shorter.

I have been exercising every single day since about 5 weeks clean. One day Ill do weights...the next cardio. I think it is really helping. Exercise has been proved to help grow brain synapses so the more we do the better. My diet is still shitty which Ive always struggled with but im working out really hard to combat that. I think im still drinking too much caffeine but it seems to be helping. If i have 1 black coffee in the morning I feel decent...if I have 2 I feel really energised and keen to get out there in the world. Still worried it could slow healing though...?

So far I would call the NAD decision a real positive. I think back to when I was trapped on meds before I went and I felt so lost and hopeless. I really need to stay on the straight and narrow now though. I have a history of slipping up and making mistakes to cause setbacks which is why I never really got much better. Think ive finally learned though and after spending all that money I just cant do it to myself anymore.

Hey all,

Happy New Year.  I have been in and out of a nasty wave brought on by a cold which relapsed, but seem to be coming out of it.

From shamos initial post, I was interested in this.  But I am "Ramcon1 the Neuroscience Gun" (desperate attempt at a rhyme similar to "Bill Nye, the Science Guy."  Sorry. any way . . . )  someone tells me something helped, I am intrigued, but for me to "buy in," I have to know at least in theory how it is supposed to work.

It took a while to find, but here you go:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2017.00021/full

In summary, NAD+ does what we need it to do, reduce glutamate transmission and current flow after receptor activation.  I will need to dig a bit deeper, because this study was looking at reactions in the presence of NAD+.  It does not study what happens after the NAD+ clears.  Does the change last?

More later.

Ramcon1

That’s amazing news Shamo. Thanks for keeping us updated on your process. I am hopeful with the NAD!

Hi guys,

Thought Id stop in for an update at 2 months since NAD+. I am doing quite well and feel another positive turn in the last week. I am feeling better mentally and more happy and hopeful. The defeated, depressive spells are getting shorter.

I have been exercising every single day since about 5 weeks clean. One day Ill do weights...the next cardio. I think it is really helping. Exercise has been proved to help grow brain synapses so the more we do the better. My diet is still shitty which Ive always struggled with but im working out really hard to combat that. I think im still drinking too much caffeine but it seems to be helping. If i have 1 black coffee in the morning I feel decent...if I have 2 I feel really energised and keen to get out there in the world. Still worried it could slow healing though...?

So far I would call the NAD decision a real positive. I think back to when I was trapped on meds before I went and I felt so lost and hopeless. I really need to stay on the straight and narrow now though. I have a history of slipping up and making mistakes to cause setbacks which is why I never really got much better. Think ive finally learned though and after spending all that money I just cant do it to myself anymore.

Hello;

I am glad you are feeling better! When I went off Xanax (almost 4 years ago): daily exercise is what really saved me. Long walks each morning with my big dog out in nature (He is a Big Yellow Labrador, needs to walk alot!, no getting around it!) also, I listened (and watched on my laptop in bed or couch) meditation tapes for benzo withdrawal. (Internet).  I did use a supplement called "Calm" to reduce glutamate. Mix it in water.  At least 1L water daily (plain, or with the Calm powder mixed in). I drank black coffee in the morning (can't not do that!).  I used a little hydroxyzine, maybe 25 mg (not often, not pleasant, don't take any other drug, and didn't want to start anything else addictive, Xanax is quite addictive. I was in tolerance withdrawal at the end, I could not taper, didn't try, just quit with the help of Dr. and therapist). Hydroxyzine is an old antihistamine, non-addictive. No alcohol.

I was food sensitive, especially salt, but that had been going on for awhile in tolerance withdrawal phase at end. I used the 12-step addiction model, for me Xanax was an addiction, no blame. A therapist and doctor both of whom I was bare bone honest with both really helped me on my journey.

Take Care and Good Luck for the New Year!

Hi Karuna thanks.

Yeah I'm trying to avoid most supps these days except these NAD pills the clinic gave me. Even with them I'm trying to only use for 1 or 2 days a week just in case. I actually just had to get a cortisone steroid injection in my sternum yesterday as it's been killing for 6 months now from an old football injury. Physio and anti inflam pills did not help. I umm and ahhed and delayed for ages because some people have had nasty setbacks from steroids while in benzo withdrawal. My friend in Denver used some steroid cream and basically got sent back to acute for a year. Disaster. ATM I'm okay. It's deff jacked up my heart rate, I slept like shit and my face is very flushed. Hoping it clears away in a couple days. I didn't have much choice...every time it sneezed I thought my sternum would snap. It's difficult trying to live life while in this state and avoiding neccessary things. I refuse to every touch an Antibiotic again unless it's a life or death situation. People have been messed up bad from them!

Shamo, great update, but sorry about the need for steroids. How are you doing, did the symptoms calm down? I agree it's really tough to avoid the necessary things while still sensitive. Even with the NAD, I have to really think about each thing I take, but it has gotten much better over time.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey nfn! Yes the symptoms calmed down after 1 day. It was basically just elevated heart rate and hot flushing but I got through it without a set back. How is everyone? Since starting this thread there are now 3 new people that have started the NAD treatment! Hope you guys are doing okay?