Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Can someone check my maths please

[ch...]

when  I reach .5mg Valium and wanted to reduce by .01mgs every other day,

Making a milk mixture with 2mgs of Valium to 20mls of milk, 

Would I take  4.9mls if I wanted to reduce by .01mgs per day  or if I were to reduce by 0.05mgs, then take 4.95mls ? reducing down either by .1ml each day or .05ml each day

so that would be , 4.9mls, then 4.8mls 4.7ml continuing,  or slower at  4.95mls then 4.9mls  4.85mls, 

I would use a 10ml and a 1ml syringe.

Have I got that right,  please ,

Thank  you in advance

4.9ml, 4.9ml, 4.8ml, 4.8ml, 4.7ml, 4.7ml, etc.

Would I take  4.9mls if I wanted to reduce by .01mgs per day  or if I were to reduce by 0.05mgs, then take 4.95mls ? reducing down either by .1ml each day or .05ml each day

so that would be , 4.9mls, then 4.8mls 4.7ml continuing,  or slower at  4.95mls then 4.9mls  4.85mls, 

Hello, cc.  I’ve been following your journey for a while now.  Your tenacity is admirable.

Your math looks AOK to me.

The only minor issue I see is what’s probably a typo.

For your “go slower” plan, you indicated a reduction of 0.05mg. This would actually be faster than your “go faster” plan of 0.01mg per day.

Do you mean 0.005mg?

If so, the amount of liquid you indicated you would reduce for your “go slower” plan is correct (i.e. 0.05mLs).

Are you comfortable using the syringes to measure your doses?  Just in case not, here’s a link a member shared recently that might be helpful:

How to Read a Syringe

https://www.registerednursern.com/how-to-read-a-syringe/

Sending all good thoughts and best wishes your way for a successful conclusion to your taper!

Libertas

Thank you so much for the information.

Just a little way to go the get there as I am having to hold for a little while as the cutting has more than caught up with me.

I am holding at .75mgs, after consistently cutting since May2nd,  form 2mgs to now.

It's been so hard as I have never been stable even on my starting dose and without cutting,

I wish I could have had a stable place to begin but I haven' t so all I  can do is to do as Prof Ashton says and grit my teeth etc.

It is not the ideal way at all, Far better for everyone to begin at a stable point , Just didn't happen for me.

I don't know why I reacted so badly or so quickly,, could  be multifactorial,,  probably genetic, but could be other things.  No one will ever know why some react so badly

So hear I am taking a few days to try and settle a little, if I can. 

Only a couple of weeks tops and then move forward again

I have perhaps been tapering a little too fast as I am suffering such a lot which is why I think that half the speed might be a good idea at .5mgs, but I will see,  In my position I feel it imperative to get off the drug in order to heal, though for those who can match their taper speed to the bodies power to heal that is far the best way to go

Thank you for confirming my calculations, 

Yes you are correct  it is a typo, I meant to write 0.005mgs, 

Thank you both for you help, 

Jen