Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

DLMT 50% Goal Possible?

[Pa...]

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the multiple threads today. Just getting all my thoughts out! :)

For my DLMT, I have a VERY supportive physician who is letting me set the speed of my taper and will continue my prescription indefinitely as I move towards “WALKING off.”

In order to temper my anxiety about this process, my first goal is to cut from 1mg of K to .5mg of K over the next 6 months or so. Is there any danger or risk to holding at .5mg once I reach that goal for an indefinite period? Maybe a month or even more? Perhaps I won’t, but I just want the comfort of knowing that’s an option. Any issues with this?

As usual, thanks for your help and support!

Every taper should be "symptom-based".  Any taper is just a way of trying to match your dose reduction to your body's rate of recovery .

You can speed up, slow down, hold, updose, etc any time.  The only "risk" is short period of discomfort if you get out of sync.  Any "mistakes" made in a taper can always be corrected.

Every taper should be "symptom-based".  Any taper is just a way of trying to match your dose reduction to your body's rate of recovery .

You can speed up, slow down, hold, updose, etc any time.  The only "risk" is short period of discomfort if you get out of sync.  Any "mistakes" made in a taper can always be corrected.

Not true. Too-big cuts can leave long-lasting symptoms. Happened to me.

So, in my case a month-long or even multi-month hold at 50% of my starting dose as a first goal is reasonable and wouldn’t carry significant consequences? Thank you!

When I failed (repeatedly) to get below 9mg (C&H taper)  I did a 2 year  hold.  The only "consequence" was I was still on benzos for another 2 years.

Not true. Too-big cuts can leave long-lasting symptoms. Happened to me.

1)  Did you not recover from them?

2) Is it not possible the "long-lasting symptoms" were the result of some other sequence of events?

So, in my case a month-long or even multi-month hold at 50% of my starting dose as a first goal is reasonable and wouldn’t carry significant consequences? Thank you!

Everyone is different but it shouldn’t be a problem as long as you are “stable” when you started the taper.

I tapered from 2 MGs of Klonopin down to 1 MG in a little over six months and then “held” for 4 months. I just held to take a break while a lot of people here hold to stabilize. I really didn’t have any problems with the taper but I travel a lot for work and just wanted to take a 1 MG pill for a while.

A number of the people who have issues with holds tapered too quickly or were sick when they started tapering.

I see nothing wrong with this goal as it’s actually pretty reasonable and I’m glad you have a supportive physician in your corner  :thumbsup: