Does anyone else have problems going to restaurants?

[Re...]

Hi all. I went to church today and wore earplugs and kept my eyes closed as much as I could ...  this helped considerably and I was much more comfortable than I was last week .... I’m now carrying earplugs with me wherever I go. I also have light sensitivity glasses.

Still not sure if I’m ready to get on an airplane, but let’s see how I feel in a couple of weeks ...

I also wear ear plugs when the noise level is high and it helps a lot. I have tinnitus in my left ear since two years ago, from an MRI with not enough sound protection. Even before the MRI, with Xanax interdose withdrawal I was very sensitive to noise.

I have a hard time with restaurants.... guess its the anxiety of sitting waiting to be served that gets me.(and the noise). When the food comes, I find myself gulping the food down so I can get up and get out of there. I do a lot of drive-thru fast food for that reason but know its not a way to eat and stay healthy. I have started going to supermarkets that have a Deli where you can pick out hot food to take home and eat.  Stores don't bother me as I can keep moving.... get in and get out.

I'm wary about driving... in traffic in particular.... because I know my senses are not firing on all cylinders. So today, I went to Boston Market and did a take-out dinner.  I was waiting to get out

of the parking lot on to a main street and the car and front of me (driver was talking on a cell phone) pulled out .... and got "T" boned...... wham !  I was thinking.... SH%#.... that could have been me due to my OCD and razor edge nervous system.

So I know where you are coming from.  Its a trade off of not becoming a "hermit" vs getting out

with the living .... feeling anxious.... and maybe get into some kind of trouble you didn't see coming.

Yes.... our CNS needs time to heal...baby steps..... just takes a long time.

I can absolutely relate to all that you have shared. I was on Xanax (Alprazolam) for approximately 1 month before I began tapering and eventually was free of the drug. Driving, flying, restaurants, movie theaters or simply going to visit relatives was extremely challenging. When I was about 6 months out, my wife and I took a trip by plane. It was very touchy, I had some mild panicky sensations almost continually throughout this trip. We had breakfast at a Waffle House not far from the hotel we were staying at. After ordering at the counter, my wife gets a phone call and leaves me there. Sitting next to me is a guy that starts talking to me about cross dressing. I went into an instant panic attack! I saw my wife outside and tried to get her attention but she didn't see me. I felt like running but I knew that I couldn't make a scene.

It's been over 4 years since my last dose of Xanax! At this stage I am feeling more myself and most of the time I do not have any issues with normal activities. I am very encouraged by the fact that I am feeling better as time goes by. My advice is to take baby steps when it comes to travel or public places. It seems that if you push yourself a little at a time you learn to deal with any discomfort you have at the time. In my case the discomfort eased as time went by but it was still there. Learn to be patient and ask others to be patient with you. A supportive family and friends are a must have!

This part about the cross dressing made me laugh 😆

During my year taper, I left so many restaurants. The noise made me so anxious. I also struggled grocery shopping on my own. So for that last few months, my boyfriend started going with me and we go at night, when it's less crowded.

Since I jumped 54 days ago, I have forced myself into uncomfortable situations. Going to restaurants has gotten easier, especially since I started meditating. It may sound weird (I myself thought it was strange before I started the practice) but I repeat my mantra in my head over and over while I drive, grocery shop and while I'm out dining at restaurants. It has helped me tremendously! I highly recommend a regular meditation practice.

I do have experience with travel during withdrawal. In December I flew from Texas to Australia, 16+ hour direct flight! I was on .25 xanax and experiencing every withdrawal symptom in the book. My boyfriend had planned this months in advance (before we knew just how bad withdrawal could be) and I didn't want to disappoint him. I was determined, so I fought through. Yes, lines and crowds made me incredibly anxious. I cried several times. The support I had from my boyfriend was what got me through. He understood if I needed to find a corner in the airport to just hide and catch my breath. And then we kept going until I needed another break. It's tough, but it's doable! I hadn't started meditating at the time, but I sure wish I had!

Just keep pushing yourself. Make yourself uncomfortable until you're comfortable. You will survive.

During my year taper, I left so many restaurants. The noise made me so anxious. I also struggled grocery shopping on my own. So for that last few months, my boyfriend started going with me and we go at night, when it's less crowded.

Since I jumped 54 days ago, I have forced myself into uncomfortable situations. Going to restaurants has gotten easier, especially since I started meditating. It may sound weird (I myself thought it was strange before I started the practice) but I repeat my mantra in my head over and over while I drive, grocery shop and while I'm out dining at restaurants. It has helped me tremendously! I highly recommend a regular meditation practice.

I do have experience with travel during withdrawal. In December I flew from Texas to Australia, 16+ hour direct flight! I was on .25 xanax and experiencing every withdrawal symptom in the book. My boyfriend had planned this months in advance (before we knew just how bad withdrawal could be) and I didn't want to disappoint him. I was determined, so I fought through. Yes, lines and crowds made me incredibly anxious. I cried several times. The support I had from my boyfriend was what got me through. He understood if I needed to find a corner in the airport to just hide and catch my breath. And then we kept going until I needed another break. It's tough, but it's doable! I hadn't started meditating at the time, but I sure wish I had!

Just keep pushing yourself. Make yourself uncomfortable until you're comfortable. You will survive.

Right now I’m testing the limits of what I’m comfortable with. Today I went to the mall and I was able to go shopping for a short time.  Earplugs and light sensitivity glasses  seem to be helping !

I’m hoping to take a cross-country flight within a couple of weeks ...  i’m thinking that I’ll get wheelchair service  and book a redeye (overnight) flight ...  I figure if everyone is asleep on the plane then it will be more quiet and easier for me to handle ...  crying babies on a flight would be a nightmare for me!

It’s so strange because just a handful of months ago, I was able to go anywhere and do anything without a second thought!  Still in disbelief that I got accidentally hooked on a benzo ... ugh!!!!

I can’t go to loud places and unfortunately restaurant nowadays play loud music and have terrible acoustics. Lately I’ve been taking my earplugs everywhere with me. At one point in my withdrawal I couldn’t get out of the house, but now I can go out preferably to lunch, I need to eat my last meal of the day early. Some things have changed for me, I don’t want to put myself in chaotic places or circumstances, or surround myself with difficult people, that’s what got me to take Xanax in the first place. Stay strong.