Remeron?

[Re...]

I call Remeron “evil mitazipine.”  I’m not the only one.  :o

It has a nasty withdrawal to it. In some ways, it’s withdrawal profile is similar to a benzo. I slowly tapered off mirtazipine and it wasn’t easy. I was on 1/2 to 1 tab of 15 mg, mostly 7.5 mg. I finished that taper long before staring my Klonopin taper.

Besides Mirtazipine/Remeron, I only have experience with low dose SSRIs which have very little withdrawal effect for me. That gives you an idea of why people recommend against Remeron.

Annie

That's not reassuring for me, who will have to do a Remeron taper once I'm off Valium. Nevertheless, we are all different and it's hard to predict what will happen. Did you take SSRIs before or together with the Remeron? What dose SSRI did you take? Sorry for the many questions:)

Maugham,

I wouldn’t worry. You seem very thorough and methodical in your taper and if you wanted to do that with Remeron, you’ll be fine! I tried it quickly at first thinking it wouldn’t have a withdrawal but it did. I would not go so far as to say it’s worse than benzo withdrawal for me. My benzo taper will take me much longer. Hope that helps and...

Here’s my medication history. I copied and pasted from the progress log:

“So I have been prescribed the lowest dose of SSRIs (ie the elderly dose) episodically during difficult periods...prescribed Zoloft, Celexa, Prozac, and Paxil in that order. Paxil works best. I’ve spent more time off than on because this is what worked for me. And each time, it did work.

2009: Prescribed Klonopin for anxiety and sleep during a difficult time, 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg.

2010: Allowed a new doctor to prescribe 2-3 mg and I took 2mg.

2014: After a grief episode, prescribed 15 mg Mirtazipine for sleep (took 1/2 to 1tab) and a year or so later, followed with Paxil 10 mg. Continued my Klonopin 2 mg.

2017: Started taking 2-2.5 mg Klonopin daily. An extra tab allowed to prepare for stress inducing work issues and events.

2018: Slowlytapered myself off 7.5 mg Mirtazipine (Remeron) and quickly tapered the Paxil. Warning: I would not recommend C/T Mirtazipine”