Generic Clonazepam

[Be...]

Byrum,

Thank you for filling me in on that conversation. Teva recently located from Pennsylvania to New Jersey as their US headquarters. It’s has left a “shell” of customer service people to handle these calls.

Their goal overall was to pay off the tremendous debt of $40 billion that they paid to acquire Actavis, which for the life of me I don’t know why they did buy Actavis.

In order to pay off the debt, they have payed off thousands of people, and closed manufacturing facilities all over the US. Ironically, we’ve had 2 of those facilities here in this state of Utah, and they closed one of those down. The other one is still operating at full capicicity. I called them also. and was told that they made both teva and actavis products there.

I have never taken a teva product before as far as I know. But I’m now taking those dissolving tablets by teva as I mentioned.

The Actavis is a good med for me, but not necessarily for you or anyone else. We are on BB, where most people are very sensitive to changes in their benzo brands. I’m one of those and so are you.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you had talked to teva. They are operating on a skeleton crew there in New Jersey and basically been told what to tell people. I just got to the point where I realized that was going on and just gave up with calling them or emailing them.

Teva has caused trouble for themselves and for the people that work for them and for people like us.

I was unaware that people were having seizures but then again, if these lower quality clonazepams are being used, they are not the same and are weaker and could cause seizures.

I hope you get that brand exception and that it works for you.

We all must remember that teva in operationing in Israel and everything we hear from US folks for teva is coming from that board of directors in Israel.

I would like to see teva rejuvenate and come back as the power house they once were. Those dissolving tablets are expensive also so I’m not thrilled about that. But I’m using them so I can do nothing else at the moment. The pharmacy was so concerned about the expense that they prepared those, and they also prepared the regular tablet which is accord brand around here. And I also found solco around here at a different pharmacy. I just didn’t want to fool around with any more of this “trying this and trying that.” It’s just too hard to constantly be changing generics like it’s happened with all of us.

Please keep me updated as I’ll always answer this thread. It’s been here for a long time as you can see from the long line of people who posted. They’re all still on BB as far as I know.

There are some that the actavis works great for. Some like accord. Solco did work for me but I realize now the irritability must have been early as? When I tried it again and it didn't work I just attributed my we symptoms to the pill "no longer working" not realizing that it would take awhile for it to start working right.

K is an anti seizure med too so I have read about people who took it for seizures having breakthru seizures with the change. But as far as I know no one getting seizures from the change from wd.

I slept okay last night (not as long as I wanted to though) and a lot of my other symptoms are starting to ever So slowly go away.

The worst part now is feeling like I have to constantly pee but not get much out. So it wakes me up a lot. and omg it stinks!!

Byrjun,

I’m sometimes at a loss to say why one works and another doesn’t.

It’s mainly because all generics of Valium don’t work the same, and all generics of alprazolam don’t work the same. In fact, all generics of any drug like a heart med don’t work the same because generic makers in general don’t have access to the original formula and process that the brand drug uses.

A patented drug like brand klonopin is made the same no matter what. But actually Roche, owner of Genentech, is off patent, but it’s still being made because there’s a market for it. So they will use the same “recipe” that they’ve always used because some people need that instead of all these generics which give them trouble.

And a lot of folks here on BB don’t notice a difference in these generics while others do.

I notice the difference and it seems you do also.

I've always been sensitive to changes and medicine in general. One of my other meds, for my raynauds changed once. A week later all my symptoms came back

I argued with the pharmacist over it

She told me it was my mind and that they're all the same.

I asked her how I would be able to control these symptoms with my mind? If I could do that I wouldn't need a pill!

She switched the generics back for me

My grandma was also very sensitive and could only have name brand of her bloodthiner

Some of it is fillers and how we metabolize but also by law generics are allowed to have less of the active ingredient. I think it only needs 80% but don't quote me on that  :laugh:

I know the FDA is not as good as everyone believes.

There was a horror story years back where they just trusted the company that their wellbutrin 300mg was 300mg.

It wasn't...

It took them years of complaints to finally do something

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [By...]

• [Ti...]

• [Fr...]

Byr,

I know exactly what you’re referring to. I’ve been on the phone with people before about other things, and we’d get to talking, and somehow or other the conversation would drift to the differences in generic medications.

Here where I live, we have a state sponsored health care plan for public employees called PEHP (Public Employees Health Plan). I worked for Salt Lake County for years, and all state, county, school, and cities in the state were eligible to be part of that plan. So as I talked with someone from PEHP, I mentioned something about my generic med being changed, and then she said hers had changed also, and that she was upset about this because she didn’t feel well since the change. Hers was not a benzo, but another type of med. I told her that she needed to let her doctor know to see what could be done.

A lot of the time, there are other generic meds that can be substituted for one that didn’t work so well as the one the person already had so people end up trying various generic meds or going back to their original one particularly if their doctor orders that. But benzos are different I think because the involve control of our CNS, and a change like that is very often noticed. Here on BB, I’ve read where people say, they don’t notice the difference at all, and that is great for them, but I DO notice the difference fast, and it’s not pleasant at all. We can try to adjust to the change, and that can work also, but often requires a long time. And others just can’t do it for whatever reason.

And as you say, it could be binders, fillers, dyes. And then there’s the active ingredient that you mention. By law, as you say, it is 80% less of active ingredients and up to 25% more of active ingredients. That’s a very wide range to deal with. A therapist I had mentioned that another client of hers came in and told her that she’d just gotten out of the hospital as she had gone to the ER thinking and feeling like she just overdosed on her benzo because the pharmacy had given her a different generic. She told her doctor, and the pharmacy had to get the other one back for her. I think it’s more common for the benzo to be weaker than stronger, but stronger must happen, or that stastistic wouldn’t be possible. And it wouldn’t have happened to that client. So that range the FDA allows is there for that reason.

And I remember also that Wellbutrin story also. It was on the People’s Pharmacy a few years back. People taking Wellbutrin at 300 mg began noticing that the effects of it wore off about an hour or so after they took it while others who took smaller doses as in 80 mg or whatever noticed nothing. So many people started complaining about the 300 mg doses, that letters and complaints flowed into the FDA, and the FDA finally had to do something. And the FDA discovered that a key ingredient that made the 300 mg tablet work longer as it was supposed to had been left out of the tablet in thousands of batches of the 300 mg. And it did take tons of complaints spanning several years for the FDA to look into it.

I've worked in pharma for most of my career.

Any manufacturer's pills must contain 80 - 120% of the labeled claim. So if pills are labeled as "1 mg" each pill, if tested for the drug, must contain 0.8 mg to 1.2 mg, whether it's generic or not. I've never worked for a generic company, only name brands. And their tests were usually much tighter than that, like 0.97 - 1.03 mg.

The other thing about generics is they don't need to do nearly the amount of clinical studies that the name brand had to do just to start selling the drug. Once a drug goes off patent, all the generic manufacturer has to do is ONE study to show that the levels of drug in the blood of patients who take the generic is the same as what people taking the brand name have. And generic companies can do numerous studies until that ONE study works. And they don't have to tell the FDA about all the studies that did NOT work. A name brand manufacturer has to give the FDA data on ALL the studies they did with the drug. That's why name brands are so much more expensive than generics. The name brand has done all the work. Generics just try to be cheap.

And as far as the FDA enforcing the laws, the FDA can only do as much enforcement as their budget allows. And republican administrations are notorious for slimming the FDA's budget, as well as the budget of any other regulatory agency (EPA, DOT, etc). So you can blame the FDA, but they can only do so much with the money they are budgeted.

Intend, really glad to have you on LHSG with all the craziness off the generic clonazepam issues.  Maybe that disintegrating pill can help a lot of people that are struggling with all the changes being made.  Love you 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

Valium is calling for her nap.  Hope you and Dan have a good day.  You have a wonderful heart taking care of Mary's kitties. Pet to Pepper 🐱🐱🐱🐾🐾🐾🐾🎄🎁☮️ , Mary

Hope,

I agree with everything you just said.

Somewhat “upsetting” when one deals with all these generic changes we are dealing with right now.

The limited budget of the government’s agencies is often “supplemented” by non profit groups such as the Natural Resources Defense Fund (NRDF), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), but I’ve never seen anything like that for the FDA.

Maybe The People’s Pharmacy by the Graedons is somewhat like that though. I’m not sure of it’s a non profit though.

Intend, really glad to have you on LHSG with all the craziness off the generic clonazepam issues.  Maybe that disintegrating pill can help a lot of people that are struggling with all the changes being made.  Love you 🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹🌹

Valium is calling for her nap.  Hope you and Dan have a good day.  You have a wonderful heart taking care of Mary's kitties. Pet to Pepper 🐱🐱🐱🐾🐾🐾🐾🎄🎁☮️ , Mary

Oh thank you Mary. I hope we have a good day also. All this good movies come out here on fridays. But I don’t have the energy to fight the crowds that swarm to these movies when they first come out.

Dan said last night, we should wait till after New Years, and then see every movie we want. As I scope out the forum here, I see more and more people trying the disintegrating tablet. I saw that on the substitution board yesterday. I’m feeling fairly good about it myself right now.

Grab that nap while you can. Pepper says “Hi” to you also. Dan says she the most spoiled cat in the world, and he’s right! 🐱 🐱 🌹 🌹 🌹

Oh thank you Mary. I hope we have a good day also. All this good movies come out here on fridays. But I don’t have the energy to fight the crowds that swarm to these movies when they first come out.

Dan said last night, we should wait till after New Years, and then see every movie we want. As I scope out the forum here, I see more and more people trying the disintegrating tablet. I saw that on the substitution board yesterday. I’m feeling fairly good about it myself right now.

Grab that nap while you can. Pepper says “Hi” to you also. Dan says she the most spoiled cat in the world, and he’s right! 🐱 🐱 🌹 🌹 🌹

So Hopetodothis,

What’s your opinion on the orally disintegrating tablets?

You’ve worked in the pharma industry, so what do you think?

I’d seriously like to know.

I've worked in pharma for most of my career.

Any manufacturer's pills must contain 80 - 120% of the labeled claim. So if pills are labeled as "1 mg" each pill, if tested for the drug, must contain 0.8 mg to 1.2 mg, whether it's generic or not. I've never worked for a generic company, only name brands. And their tests were usually much tighter than that, like 0.97 - 1.03 mg.

The other thing about generics is they don't need to do nearly the amount of clinical studies that the name brand had to do just to start selling the drug. Once a drug goes off patent, all the generic manufacturer has to do is ONE study to show that the levels of drug in the blood of patients who take the generic is the same as what people taking the brand name have. And generic companies can do numerous studies until that ONE study works. And they don't have to tell the FDA about all the studies that did NOT work. A name brand manufacturer has to give the FDA data on ALL the studies they did with the drug. That's why name brands are so much more expensive than generics. The name brand has done all the work. Generics just try to be cheap.

And as far as the FDA enforcing the laws, the FDA can only do as much enforcement as their budget allows. And republican administrations are notorious for slimming the FDA's budget, as well as the budget of any other regulatory agency (EPA, DOT, etc). So you can blame the FDA, but they can only do so much with the money they are budgeted.

I blame them all

Including myself for taking these darn drugs

I am glad those pills seem to be working well with your body, fingers crossed xoxo 💜🌹🌹🌹Mary

So Hopetodothis,

Mary,

Absolutely. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes? 👀 👀 crossed.

🌹 🌹 🌹💙💚💛🧡❤️💜

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

There goes that fantastic sense of humor and loving care for everyone.

📍🎈💌🧁🌟🌈🍇🍓🍦🍭

Mary,

Absolutely. Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes? 👀 👀 crossed.

🌹 🌹 🌹💙💚💛🧡❤️💜

:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

You are good friend, you deserve some loving care , Pepper meowed that at me 🐱🐾🐾🐾🐾💜

There goes that fantastic sense of humor and loving care for everyone.

📍🎈💌🧁🌟🌈🍇🍓🍦🍭

Mary,

As long as you, Dan and Pepper love me, I’m “good.”

🌹 🌹 🌹 📍💜❤️🧡💛💚💙🧸🎶🎵🎀🎡🌲🐱🐱🐱

I am glad those pills seem to be working well with your body, fingers crossed xoxo 💜🌹🌹🌹Mary

So Hopetodothis,

I tried the teva brand odt for one night. Came on strong but sadly couldn't sleep cause I broke out in hives  :laugh:

I have bad luck like that