I give up

[gi...]

By the way, Gabapentin is the first choice drug for alcohol withdrawal but not to be used if tapering. I am on day 2 of tapering using just beer---My very good friend committed suicide 7 months ago, was drinking a liter a day of vodka, had been in rehab 6 times and AA. Sure miss him---

I am sorry that he died. Please do not follow him. You are still alive and that is your chance to get a better life.

Do you have an eye on how much vol. alcohol you are consuming - 1 liter vodka per day --> how do you taper that with beer?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [gi...]

• [Mr...]

• [Es...]

• [Ma...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Was drinking 8 drinks a day, everyday I taper down one drink till I am done. I already feel better now that I have a plan, just beer now. The depression was awful, might have to go on a antidepressant soon. Don't have the sweats or DTs, just my usual tremors from Ativan and fatigue. Thanks for the support people :smitten:

Hi Gibson,

We’ve had some similar experiences you and me. I am glad you have a plan, it does make you feel a bit more in control, even when the horrible withdrawal effects are doing their worst.  Maybe try some high dose vitamins to keep your levels up whilst you taper the alcohol.  Do you plan to quit alcohol altogether? It would hopefully help the dreadful depression!

You’re obviously motivated despite all that’s going on. I have found meaning in a lot of new things having lost my grandparents, my dad, my sister, a close friend and my longstanding home all within a short space of time. The punches kept on coming.  It’s really changed me as a person. I do feel I have more strength than I thought.

You’re not alone and we’re always here. Sending you best wishes,

Mrs B

Xx

Be careful to taper the alcohol slowly if you have been drinking that amount for a while.

Yes, Gibson, it seems to me that its too fast!

If you drank 8 beers a day and the tapering dosage was 10%, 1 beer less per day is too much!

Thats why I said, go and look for the amount of alcohol daily and count in percent which "cuts" you need to do.

A fast taper is not so good, buddy and you do not need to hurry and then suffer more. A slow taper also offers the possibility to learn to cope with the upcoming feelings.

Thats why I would not start an AD at the same time because the side effects could worsen the situation. I would either do a slow taper and work on the issues coming up.

Here comes hug, buddy. You can do it!!

starting to feel really bad now, dizzy and cant eat, this really sucks. Will re-evaluate my taper now, thanks for hugs and wishes----Really want to go to the ER but don't want this on my medical record for insurance reasons, plus they would probably give me benzos........... :-X

You really do need to withdraw from alchohol slowly. If you have gone too fast I would go back a bit and take it slowly.

My alcoholic father suffered a traumatic brain injury which was bad but my mother didn’t tell the hospital he drank and I am convinced the resulting seizures caused almost as much damage as the initial injury. He’s basically a vegetable now.

Take it seriously!

In Germany this slow taper from alcohol is called "controlled drinking" - is there anything like that in your country? Maybe you could google it.

They finally found out a detox and cold turkey is not helpful for any drug :)

Think the vistaral I have been taking once a week makes depression worse. I am sticking to a slow taper and will be ok

50 months and now massive depression, cant function, my brain is dead. I just lay on the floor and cry and hope God can end all of this now. there is nothing left in my cup

I am 56 months and I am the same with MANY other symptoms, just want you to know you are not alone!

Hi Gibson,

Great to hear from you. Get into the cold shower please ASAP!!

Keep at it. We are all rooting for you. Glad your sister is coming.

Sending you hugs and positive thoughts.

Mrs B

Xxx

laying in bed with cold packs on my arms, I am on fire burning in hell. This 90 degree heat ramps up my nerve pain and dizziness. thanks for rooting for me............not sure I can do this anymore

Was drinking 8 drinks a day, everyday I taper down one drink till I am done. I already feel better now that I have a plan, just beer now. The depression was awful, might have to go on a antidepressant soon. Don't have the sweats or DTs, just my usual tremors from Ativan and fatigue. Thanks for the support people :smitten:

Why not AA? I have never heard about tapering alcohol in my whole entire life. You need other recovering alcoholics to free yourself from alcohol addiction.

Alcohol addiction is much worse than BZD dependence/addiction. Alcohol addiction can actually kill you.

I don't want to hear that AA is a religious movement. Cause it isn't.

I would have to respectfully disagree that anything is worse than benzo withdrawl. I know alchohol withdrawl and I would do it 50x before I would ever do this again.

Why not AA? I have never heard about tapering alcohol in my whole entire life. You need other recovering alcoholics to free yourself from alcohol addiction.

Alcohol addiction is much worse than BZD dependence/addiction. Alcohol addiction can actually kill you.

I don't want to hear that AA is a religious movement. Cause it isn't.

That may be because you do not live in germany or other european countries!

Its not called tapering, its a new behavioral approach from a german psychologist and expert for addiction, and lots of doctors are following this new idea, because with the old theory of quitting alcohol abuse by cold turkey the rate of relapses is very high. the new concept is based on the knowledge that in case of alcohol addiction the most important thing is to learn to control the behavior. I like most on this concept that it contains a larger aftercare that just put people into cold turkey from high amount alcohol and then just relaese them into the old life - and if they are happy maybe can join an AA group once a week.

Alcohol is everywhere and people suffering from addiction need a therapy that is much more based on the question "how can I react in a different way".

The approach that I can only translate with "controlled drinking" means, that you first get a real insight on how much you are drinking, when, - and learn strategies how to cope in a different way. The results seem encouraging and the relapse rate is not as high as with ct.

When it comes to weaning, I am sure that a slow way is ALWAYS the best: for the receptors to be weaned slowly, for the body/the organs /CNS, and for the person because to learn to react different and to cope with withdrawal symptoms is horrible.

In my country there are groups for all kind of addicts and you do not have to go to the AA, there are others who will support you.

My last comment: I was polydrugged and they decided to stop all medication at once and send me out of a hospital. I have been so near to death - ANY withdrawal can kill you.

Hi Gibson,

How are you doing controlling the cravings?

Keep drinking plenty of water and get in the shower.  The whole thing stinks beyond words, I know. You CAN do it. If you are not already doing so, please drink electrolyte liquids to help your hydration. Can you get a small clay pipe (without tobacco!) and pop that in your mouth? My dad found this quite soothing. Or chomp on something with a strong flavour to distract you!

Please keep going. Sending you willpower, faith and positive thoughts  :) :) :)

Mrs B

Xxx

my sister is very upset I have been drinking so much vodka, I told her the truth. rehab might be an option at this point, not much tapering over here

Hi Gibson,

It is only natural your sister will be upset. I am glad you told her the truth. This does mean that you want to stop.

My sister was drinking wine, vodka, taking Codeine and Ibuprofen. She was stealing from everywhere and selling our things. We never got the truth out of her.

Are your sister and brother wanting you to go to rehab?  How do you feel about this?

Sending you hugs  :)

Mrs B xxx

Sometimes the truth hurts, no my sister doesn't think rehab and poly drugging me is the answer. This heat is making me feel so terrible, have no central air just my bedroom window unit. Feel trapped in a cage , wish I could eat something :sick:

Hi Gibson,

Yes I can see the horrible hot weather there. It looks like it will cool down a bit next week for you.

Are you in bed, not going out and not eating? Are you still tapering?

Sorry for all the questions. You don’t have to answer. I wish I could help you. Can you manage ice pops or any fruit?  Are you taking any multivitamins and magnesium?

Sending you best wishes,

Mrs B xxx

mostly in bed, had a panic attack this morning so had a stiff drink. I can attest that coming off benzos is 20 times worse than alcohol. hard to eat anything with this heat, but drinking water and fruits. I am trying my best to taper god help me..........

Hi Gibson,

You are being very brave. When I feel a panic attack coming I do start yelling and swearing. Sometimes this makes it go away. Or my neighbours come knocking. I am not proud.

Good that you can get something down. Just load up on ice pops. I am really really rooting for you. I restart my taper in two weeks to try to get off ASAP.  Then the Lexapro and then my lung surgery. It’s a laugh a minute what with the mice invading my house. Yes, God help us. PLEASE. Now would be quite a good time.

Sending you hugs and more willpower.

Best wishes,

Mrs B xxx