Looking for help with a cross-over schedule from Ativan to Valium...

[Ja...]

Hi Oleander,

I am so sorry to hear about your mom. And as well, it's double hard to go through on top of not feeling well. I find that with my dad, he has waves of emotions. It's not steady from week to week, or even day to day. I believe it is from the stroke. It is also based on circumstances so he has a bit harder time coping with things. Your mom must be panicking inside over losing her husband. I'm sure she feels helpless. I sometimes have to think that because my dad can't do simple things anymore, that he is very aware and it makes it harder on him because he knows he has to rely fully on my mom and I for help. Like your mom not getting the phone number. For example, he can't zip his coat or do anything of real detail, due to vision loss. He knows what he has to do, but he simply can't do it. It makes him feel worse in turn. There is so much that is hard to explain between the care-taker and the family member. I wish that through his rehabilitation, they would have offered support for the family as well. We had to learn everything on our own and yes, there are days that I too have tremendous guilt because if I felt like my old self, I'd be much stronger.

It is great to hear that you feel better! You sound better! That is wonderful. You'll do fine going back to school. I am doing better than last week, which is good. Back to work -challenging yesterday to catch-up, but very good today. It is helping me to stay focused on something else vs. the health issue. The trouble is still not sleeping well at all and leading 9AM calls every day this week with teams. I have to get up much earlier to come out of the sleep-fog-daze and prepare myself! It is okay, I had a large meeting/call today with 15 people and I was very focused and did just fine.

I may post a note after my reply with a few questions. I am not sure if I'm having an unusual physical reaction to Valium. I'm trying to think of other things and hope this goes away. It's only been one week that I've fully crossed-over. Did you notice any side-effects physically outside of being tired/sedated when you did the cross-over?

I know that I'll have to go slow with the taper and somehow figure out minimal reductions. I just know that I can't be too aggressive. I've accepted that it's going to take me longer this way, but that is okay. If I make progress, that will motivate me. I was truly at a loss this fall and didn't how I could ever get off of this medication. So, keep hoping, and know that you just learned that your body wasn't ready at that time to handle that change. You'll get there!

Best,

Jan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ja...]

• [Ol...]

• [Pa...]

• [ro...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I wanted to post as it's been just over one-week since I completed the cross-over from Ativan to Valium. While I posted early last week on that last cross-over day, that I had 'kicked Ativan to the curb' (as Rocko had said!), that was in the literal sense. I found out a few days into the week, that perhaps physically I had not.

I don't want to post too much to discourage anyone considering a cross-over as most everything I experienced was much less than what I've been through in making a drastic reduction to Ativan. Insomnia was the biggest issue, anxiety at times, some stomach issues. It was manageable and it's gotten better. Several days in between the cross-over stages were quite good. I truly expected symptoms/side-effects to occur. And, this was perhaps withdrawal from Ativan, but I'm not sure.

Overall, there is a tremendous difference in how I feel. Like this heavy, heavy weight that was prohibiting me was lifted. I feel lighter inside and much more like myself. Happier and able to do more things. I truly can't believe the change so this was a good step forward for me.

I do want to ask a few questions on side-effects which could be from Valium and if I should be of any concern. I don't see my doctor until next week. I really don't want to worry too much about this, but wanted to see if anyone else had this and if it got better as you got used to the new medication. Here goes:

I have been getting severe chills. Some skin irritation or redness on my legs/arms but it goes away. Never had this before! As well, a tingling-pulsating type sensation mostly in my legs which I can feel, but notice more at night when trying to fall asleep which is new. Some tightness feeling in my chest.

I think that is all, but they are not things I've had in the past and wondering if it may go away, giving it some time. My concern is that crossing-over back to Ativan is not an option now that in so many ways, I am feeling better. Again, I don't want to think about the what-ifs too much as it took so much of my courage/strength to just get through the cross-over!

Any thoughts on these symptoms would be appreciated!

PS: I take two other medications so will ask my Dr. about drug interactions next week. Levothyroxine (88mg) for Thyroid/Hashimotos disease and 30mg Nortryptaline (Pamelor) for perhaps mild depression although I don't really feel I have depression at this time.

Jan,

Hi there.  I read you are having a bit of trouble with the crossover.  I will just tell you my experience because that's all I know.  The thing that gets me the most is hearing that it takes awhile (I heard 30 days somewhere) to get adjusted to the valium.  I never heard that when I did the crossover.  I am a little happy I never heard of it.  I thought it was the answer to my prayers before I did the crossover and all during it until reading it now.  I never had any anxiety.until now.  I did the entire crossover without anxiety which I had before I touched one valium.  It makes me think I might have been looking really hard for it if I heard it was coming.  But that's just me.  Everyone has different symptoms.  I did have lethargy.  I mean to an extreme.  I actually was fine with being so tired because I hadn't slept in so long before that.  It was nice to get some much needed sleep and relaxation.  It's like I was on a vacation from myself, if that makes any sense.  The not so great symptoms were after the crossover I did feel the tingling sensation but only in my right thigh.  It was almost like it was asleep.  It was there most of the time but if I was busy I didn't notice it. 

Later on when I tapered I felt more symptoms like the tingling in the legs.  When I got down too fast I felt nausea, heartburn, digestive issues (those are still there a bit) and the tingling got worse.  I also felt the anxiety.  That was the worst part for me.  That was when I decided I cut too fast at the end and needed to up my dosage.  I might have been okay to stay.  I will never know.  But I am at 8mg and I just am thankful to be off of the 60mg.

I have had a few really good days and thing I am getting adjusted to this dosage.  I do know that at one point I tried to cut the Xanax and Klonopin and I felt cold/hot/cold/hot, etc. all night long.  I woke up soaking wet, freezing.  I had to change clothes in the middle of the night.  It was so awful climbing back into bed and the sheets were soaked with cold sweat.  I could not taper directly from those drugs.  The valium saved me.  But like I said, it is different for everyone.

I am not sure about the other meds you are on.  I'm sure your doctor will let you know if there is a drug interaction.  I might not wait until next week and give him a call to see if there would be a problem.  There is no reason to suffer if you don't have to.

I hope you get over this bad time right now.  I have a blog if you want to write to me here under Oleander's Blog.  I know, not original!!!  :laugh:

Oh, the insomnia for me is back and has been for awhile.  I actually thought I was good and stopped seeing the psychologist for the CBT and probably shouldn't have.  I might give him another call and get back to that again.

Good luck to you!!  Feel better

Oleander

hi Oleander, thank you for sharing some of your experiences from the cross-over. I did some reading last night in a book that I bought recently called "Benzo-wise" and all of the symptoms I listed yesterday were in the withdrawal section. This very well could be withdrawal effects from Ativan...however, how can you ever know until you are off of the medications entirely?!

For now, I may live with it and see if it gets worse/or goes away by next week as I do have an appt soon. Like you, I never had anxiety until starting these medications. I am sorry that this happened to you too and as well, that the insomnia is back. That is not fun especially after several days. I really sympathize. I wish that there was something I could say to help. My sleep has been improving the past few nights. I've been trying not to be on the computer or do too much before going to sleep. Just relax for a bit, and trying to get on a regular schedule again with eating better foods and limiting my caffeine as much as possible. (I still have to have 2 cups of coffee in the AM to simply get going.)  :)

I'll stop by your blog! That is great you started one. I appreciate your support, you've really helped me these past few weeks. Feel better too!

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi BB's, I thought I'd stop by to my Substitution thread from my cross-over posts and give an update. I am just approaching 30 days since the full-cross-over or completing the last phase of Ativan to Valium switch. I wasn't really keeping track of days to get to this point..I was taking it day by day. I guess now I can say I've just reached this milestone.

It's hard to believe it's been a full month. Some pluses, some minuses. But, I didn't expect it to be perfect. I am getting through this and taking each day. I started something new yesterday based on advice from some wonderful buddies who supported me on the withdrawal forum and that is evening out the dosage of Valium throughout the day vs. keeping to the schedule I was on with Ativan. That didn't seem to be working and was really apparent this past week.

It's only been two days since I've made this change and I do think this is helping me. It's a bit smoother, but I do need to give it some more time to fully say this is working! At least it's a step forward. Hoping I can continue moving forward and soon start to make small reductions in a few weeks. Then I will really feel like I've reached another milestone  :)

Thank you to everyone who helped me to get this far. I can't express how grateful I am for the support. I hope I can be there for you too! We can get through this together.  :smitten:

Best wishes,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I'm glad to hear that you are getting through this. You are wise in your approach to this crossover by taking it one day at a time. I hope that this new plan works for you.

You are right Valium is smoother than Ativan and not nearly as potent. My cuts have been much more tolerable than what I experienced on Ativan. For me it really has been the lesser evil of the two drugs.

We will get through this Jan.

Love,

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

Thank you, your support really got me through this phase. I hope I can be there for you too in any way. It's good to know that you've found that making reductions are easier on Valium vs. Ativan. I was truly stuck for quite some time before the cross-over and simply couldn't move forward. I hope to be able to manage tapering soon.

Sending a hug your way!

Love,

Jan

Hi Jan:

Fabulouso -- sounds like you are feeling chippier and more stable in your V dosing.  :thumbsup:  I hope you just continue to feel stronger and confident every day to come. 

Kudos to you Jan!!  :yippee:

We can do this -- and as Vertigo says "...make it through to the benzo free side." 

God bless,

Rocko

Hi Cory, thank you, you have been cheering me on throughout this and I so appreciate the support. Today has been one month since the full cross-over. Okay, now I am counting days!

Feeling better since I made the switches of timing throughout the day, it's made a difference. Adjusting to a three-time per day thing, but trying to ignore it and just accept it for what it is.

We can do this...and I am so encouraged to see how close you are getting. I know I will be posting this dancing guy on your post when you've made it through soon!  :yippee:  Probably many dancing guys!

Hugs,

Jan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've lost count of exact days since I fully completed the cross-over from Ativan to Valium. This is actually a good thing as I needed to put the cross-over and thinking too much about it on the back burner and just let things start to even out. However, I can say that today is now the official day that I am starting my tapering plan and have made my first, very small reduction to Valium.  :yippee:

I hope to start a progress log and update my signature line (tonight or this week!) I waited a fair amount of time to begin tapering after the cross-over for a few reasons. I was under a lot of pressure at work since January. It has been really tough to keep up with the demands of work and adjusting to a new medication at the same time. And, my dear aunt passed away after battling cancer. This has weighed heavy on my heart and my thoughts have been focused on my loved ones. I had also made a change to the dosage schedule a few weeks ago (from 2xs to 3xs throughout the day) which my body had to adjust to, this took some time, but it has balanced out and I don't notice the interdose withdrawal as much anymore. I've also prayed a lot about this. I guess I'd know when the right time would be to begin tapering. I feel like I'm on more solid ground now...I'm able to do more things which will allow me to feel good about beginning to taper vs. being apprehensive.

Well, this is the beginning of the next phase of my journey. I am thankful that I could complete the cross-over as I had thought to turn back at two different points. I pray that tapering will work - this time around (you may see in my signature - this is my third benzo and third attempt at getting off of these meds.) I truly hope to be off of this medication this year even if I have to go at the slowest pace. I hope to be there for you to. My thoughts are with you and I wish you all to continue to be strong and hold on to hope - and believe as I do - that things **will** get better.

If I can, I may start a blog at some point, but will start with the progress log first and see how I do. Sending my best to BB's and continued thank you for your support.  I so appreciate it as I wouldn't be here today, telling you that I am starting my tapering plan without all of the help you have give me. God bless you and hugs to you all. :)

Love,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I'm sorry for your loss, you've had a lot to deal with.  I'm impressed that you've set yourself up so well for success, I have not doubt you will be.  I look forward to your progress and hope you'll start a blog, it's a pleasure to read what you have to say.

Pam

Thank you for your kind words and condolences Pam. It has been difficult, my aunt was truly loved. She was also an inspiration throughout her own health battle.

I like to write, thank you...fingers crossed on the blog.

Can you point me in the direction on how to update my signature line? This must be brain-fog setting in, I can't seem to find where I set this up before!

Hugs,

Jan

Hi Jan,

I was going to pm you to see how you are doing. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt. I pray that you are finding comfort and peace during your time of loss.

Congrats on starting your valium taper. :thumbsup: I'm glad that the c/o worked out for you. I think you will notice that the cuts aren't as difficult as they were on the Ativan.

I can understand your apprension Jan but remember third time is a charm. ;)

Love,

Leslie

Hi Leslie,

Thanks so much for your note, I haven't logged in some time due to all that has been taking place lately. Thank you for your kind words about my aunt, it means a lot. I am still feeling the loss but finding comfort as you said.

I just started my progress log and coincidentally, I wrote about third time being a charm before I saw your post. I've been thinking about this for some time. As you see in my signature thread, it's been a long journey and my third benzo. This time simply has to work and I believe it will.

Hope you are doing well and that your tapering is progressing. Thank you for your encouragement. You know that I will be there for you too.

Love,

Jan

Hi Jan:

My sincere condolences to you and your family for the loss of your beloved aunt.  I hope you find great comfort and peace in the loving memories of her life. 

Happy to hear you have found a valium balance in daily dosing.  And it seems to be working well for you to begin your tapering down.  I will continue to keep you in my prayers for a smooth taper on down. 

Best regards to you, my dear.  You will get on the other side of this.  :yippee:

God bless,

Rocko 

Hi Cory,

Thank you so much for your kind words. My Aunt has been in my thoughts a lot today, I guess maybe it's harder as I settle into my daily routine. I appreciate your wishes and do find comfort in the many happy memories. My aunt and uncle on this side of my family were like a 2nd of parents to me.

I appreciate your prayers too...I can only go forward now and hope tapering will be smoother this time. I've learned a lot from my past experiences and hoping for success. I see your signature line and it's an inspiration to see you are down to 1mg! Now it's my turn to say 'hallelujah'!  :yippee:

Keep going forward...you're almost there...and doing wonderful. My prayers go out to you too.

Best wishes,

Jan

PS: Thx Pam for the signature instructions...I finally figured it out last night and will be sure to keep it up to date!