• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [az...]

• [Es...]

• [Be...]

• [...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Kpin doesn’t leave this thread after our exchange ;D He was really brave to start it. I’m gonna read whatever is written here. Even if I have to read three times... Philosophy can be overwhelming. As long as discussing it here is constructive and beneficial to me. I will participate. Another very simple book on philosophy. Great, entertaining read.

I haven't even read this entire thread- not even close. I just come in this way  :-*

I can't apologize for myself because I think I'm right.

"As a Man Thinketh," yep, I read that years ago.  Now that I've read quantum mechanics, nothing makes sense anymore.  I've studied and been curious about the nature of reality since I was very young.  Beautiful flowers with symmetry growing in . . . .dirt?  People who are good and helpful to others and . . . . murderers?

[77...]

I don’t think philosophy is concerned with the battle of egos. Ego is a more psychological, Freudian concept.

I would ask myself this question: do I want philosophy to serve me or to destroy me? Cause it can well do both. Each and everyone of us has our own philosophical systems. Whether we studied it, had it at the uni or never read philosophy.

For anyone even vaguely interested in philosophy, I would recommend this book. It’s written in a very simple language.

I like this quote by Aristotle: "Knowing thyself is the beginning of all wisdom." Without it, we really cannot move even one step further. I guess none of us is really good at it, as we all ended up on this forum. Benzo dependence is a disease like any other. But it’s not only a disease of the body. It’s also a disease of the mind and soul. It results from the fact that we knew very little about ourselves. As we were unable to deal with our own emotions. Or still are.

Can we use philosophy to help us recover from this disease? If so, how? This is what I keep asking myself.

Or will philosophy make us even more sick? It may, if used inappropriately. This is an inherent danger of philosophy. Also of many religions. I don’t think psychology presents such a danger. Some claim psychoanalysis does. I disagree.

Anyway, I would never dare to talk about philosophy without taking psychology into account.

I do hope our contributions will be helpful, Kpin. It would be great to turn this thread into a dialogue instead of a set of monologues. A dialogue would be beneficial to us all.

The philosophical concepts and jargon are difficult and obscure. It would make sense IMO to attach links to simple explanations whenever possible.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :smitten:

If you study academic philodphy it is like any other subject - it has it's own language that you have to learn in order to be more specific and detailed about thst which you are trying to think about and articulate.

That is no different thst learning, say, scientific words and concepts if you want tounderstand chemidtry or physics. It's just part of the discipline of thinking philosphically in an academic way.

That is a different thing than, say, having a general discussion about ethics or the nature of reality in language that everyone can understand.

For silly philosphical fun did anyone see 'the Good Place' on Netflix?

Just watched the trailer. Really liked it. Will maybe join for free for a month. I need silly laughter more than anything in the world.

If one uses philosophical terms, it’s always possible to insert a link with a simple definition. Like the ones they give in "Wikipedia". I think IT terminology is much more complicated than philosophical terminology, BTW.

Some philosophers write in a very simple way. Like Nietzsche, Schopenhauer. Nietzsche was a literary genius. Sad how he ended up. Schopenhauer always made me chuckle. Wish I knew German.

Those paradoxes Becks mentioned are interesting. I feel so mentally drained I’m not sure I can address these issues today.

It's like anything though isn't it you get more out if you put more in.

Neitzsche, for instance, might seem simple but has a lot more going on if you know the background to the ideas he is discussing.

Yes, Nietzsche originated some of the greatest ideas in the history of thought. He was able to present things in a simple and clear way, which is undoubtedly an asset. He had a unique literary talent.

I guess I will always be bringing down philosophy to the individual experience. We are first of all prisoners of our feelings. What sense does wondering about the nature of the universe make to me. If I cannot understand my own nature. No amount of psych meds, self-help books, philosophical and psychological books, therapy, experience, thinking, action etc. Has "fixed" me so far. Why should I care about the universe. I think the laws governing a human are similar to those governing the universe. Except that the universe is infinite. And the human mind is finite. How is sth finite supposed to grasp sth infinite?

I agree.  We all want to know the truth about ourselves and our reality.  I know my reality has been turned upside down since I got brain-damaged from drugs.  I used to not question life so much when I was healthy, just lived it.  I think we humans here on earth are all doing what we do to alleviate suffering and pain.  I think our nature is to suffer.  We move, eat, drink, pee, sleep, entertain ourselves, work etc. to relieve suffering.  Every second of the day I'm searching for ways to relieve my suffering, but my circumstances and people in my life just keep heaping the suffering on me.  I can't make it stop.  I believe in astrology.  My Vedic chart was very bad when I studied it years ago.  It mentioned that I'd have a nervous breakdown and need to be on the analysts couch and boy was that ever true.

I believe the way we think is so powerful, not in a silly way or any other way than what is true.

In this spirit, I will recommend a book which I think is the most important I have ever read and it is incredibly short: "As A Man Thinketh."

This thread has touched upon so many points. It seems most here are looking for a relatively simple dialogue and to explore whether philosophy can help improve and/or make sense of their lives.

James Allen's work, as Azalea beautifully suggested "As A Man Thinketh" may be a wonderful start? Simply expressed and a profound message.  :hug: Harmonee

I guess I will always be bringing down philosophy to the individual experience. We are first of all prisoners of our feelings. What sense does wondering about the nature of the universe make to me. If I cannot understand my own nature. No amount of psych meds, self-help books, philosophical and psychological books, therapy, experience, thinking, action etc. Has "fixed" me so far. Why should I care about the universe. I think the laws governing a human are similar to those governing the universe. Except that the universe is infinite. And the human mind is finite. How is sth finite supposed to grasp sth infinite?

Estee, can I ask you what do you mean by saying that the human mind is finite?

The mind exists as long as the human brain is alive. In others words, human mind is mortal. Not eternal. Whether human soul exists and is eternal. One may seek answers in religion. Not in science or philosophy. As to the finite or infinite nature of the Universe, it is discussed here for example. I’m not a native speaker of English. I used the word "finite" as an antonym to "infinite". But I guess it’s correct.

That's what I thought you meant. Just wanted to be certain. I have a quote that you might find of interest....will post it later. :)

Yes, Nietzsche originated some of the greatest ideas in the history of thought. He was able to present things in a simple and clear way, which is undoubtedly an asset. He had a literary talent many other philosophers lacked.

But modtly it is an attack on other philodphers.

The mind exists as long as the human brain is alive. In others words, human mind is mortal. Not eternal. Whether human soul exists and is eternal. One may seek answers in religion. Not in science or philosophy. As to the finite or infinite nature of the Universe, it is discussed here for example. I’m not a native speaker of English. I used the word "finite" as an antonym to "infinite". But I guess it’s correct.

The following quotes are interesting and can make one think a bit about life etc. The men who made the following quotes that I have posted, have clearly spent a good part of their lives thinking about things that many of us have wondered about.

It is good to question things and then search for answers...why not? There are answers to most of our questions....just need to spend the time needed to do the research...from my own experience, effort is always rewarded:

Molecular biologist Dr. John Medina writes: “There seem to be mysterious signals that simply show up at certain times and tell cells to quit doing their normal adult functions.” He also notes: “Genes exist which can tell cells, and indeed entire organisms, to grow old and die.”

g 5/06 p.5-6 Is Aging Programmed?

“In every head is a formidable powerhouse, a compact, efficient organ whose capacity seems to expand further towards infinity the more we learn of it.” —TONY BUZAN AND TERENCE DIXON, SCIENCE WRITERS.

g04 8/8 pp. 11-12 - Awake!—2004