CBC: Antidepressant drugs do work, review on almost 120,000 patients concludes

[La...]

There's a mention right at the end of the article of a BBC news item, where it talks about "news stories". I clicked on every single link to see what references were used, but that was the only UK news piece. And no, I didn't see any references to the reaction or follow-up. It's very unfortunate, since it was important feedback, and its lack represents a real lost opportunity for furthering the conversation that NEEDS to be had on this side of the Atlantic.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [La...]

• [lo...]

• [St...]

Thank you for posting the NY Times Fiona, Lapis and for quoting important bits.  I agree with all that has been said.  Just wanted to give a heads-up, that there are 227 comments below, that you can access by clicking on the little dialogue box with the number inside it.  I've only just started to read them.

The comments are fascinating. All over the map. Some love 'em. Some don't. I don't. I really hope the drugs don't turn on those people who love 'em, because they may be in for a hellish experience, if so. Personally, I only have regrets.

You're welcome Fiona.

Three times today I tried to comment on the NYT article.  After hours went by and it wasn't published, I revised to take out anything I thought might be controversial.  I spoke very briefly of personal experience and linked to the UK complaint to RCPsych on the CEPUK site and to the BBC article about the government review of prescription drug dependence.  Each time it went to moderation and was not published. The comment section just now closed.  I cannot help but feel I was censored.

Well, that's weird and disappointing, benzohno. I wonder how they do their moderation. From what I read, the comments were quite varied. Is there any indication anywhere at all what the guidelines are for commenting?

Lapis!  I just looked.  I am "Chris"! on there anyways, not my real name, but okay then, freedom of speech does exist in the NYTimes comment section after all. It appears they didn't publish my first comment which was in support of "Karen's" comment, a bit lower down about the connection between mass shootings and SSRIs.  I had a raft of links with that comment and doctors' names... Oh well, two out of three's not bad and I got to repeat myself apparently and have almost the last word.  Thanks for looking!  I wasn't planning on looking again.

Hi Benzohno,

As of a few minutes ago there were 2 comments published referencing both the formal complaint and the review of SSRIs in the UK.  Perhaps yours belatedly out of moderation?

:thumbsup:

StarGrass

Hi StarGrass,

Yes, those are them.  Lapis discovered them there this morning.  See post #81 above.  I didn't think they would post after the comments section officially close last night, so I was surprised to find them there there this morning.  There are two in row, almost identical because I thought there was something wrong with what I'd said the first time and decided to edit and resubmit.  I get so impatient.  Thank you!

I think it's fab that they're right at the top once you open the comments section. Top billing for our dear benzohno! I know you didn't plan it that way, but it worked out well in the end.  :thumbsup: