• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [La...]

• [lo...]

• [St...]

But unfortunately we are bombarded by those ads on the American channels, of which our Canadian cable bundles are mostly comprised.  It's unavoidable unless you keep your TV in a box.  ;)

I know Terry.  :(  I learned more about him last year on here.

I sent an email to the CBC Vancouver and Toronto this morning, put together using excerpts from what was said on this thread by the very articulate Lapis and Fiona.  I included all the new press from the UK and the replies from CEPUK.  I really hope the CBC follows up with some critique and balance after yesterday and today's (radio program in Ontario) proclamation.  I am very disappointed with how they jumped on the bandwagon so enthusiastically.

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I have written about the media coverage in my blog which you may find helpful.  You will know most of it already.  I do hope you get a response to your email.  I am actually not so depressed about the whole thing now.  I think it may just have backfired on psychiatry here in the UK, or at least on the lead author of the paper.

https://nevertrustadoctor.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/psychiatry-attempts-to-manipulate-public-opinion-on-antidepressants/

Let me know what you think.

Fiona  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you for your help Fiona.  I looked at what you wrote on your blog and it's well-written and hard-hitting.  I sure could have used that yesterday, but it didn't  exist then.  Well, I sent them the links and expressed my concerns, so I try to tell myself this is better than nothing.  I could have done better... I find it so difficult to gather my thoughts together especially for things like this.  The anxiety over- takes me, my head spins, it's hard to think and I rush.  I feel such pressure to just get it done and sent.  I end up in full fight or flight.  I never ever used to write letters to news stations, but when I did anything, I used to be more calm and objective.  Hopefully when there is less anxiety writing will be easier. 

I'm glad you're feeling brighter today.  I think you should.  From here it looks to me like progress is being made in the UK, slowly but surely thanks to all the all the hard work of all of you campaigners.  Sometimes it goes backwards, but I'm glad to see how no one is giving up and the  push back comes fast and strong.  People like that author of the paper must feel it.  I hope so.

Sleep well.  :smitten:

Well done for writing at all .. you should have seen some of the emails I used to fire off to all and sundry a couple of years ago .. wild rants ... I didn't care .. it made me feel better!!!  And I always hoped someone might just read them.

So keep writing when you can ..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't know what the stats are now, but according to this 2013 survey from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Canada has the 4th highest antidepressant use in the world.  USA is 1st, Iceland 2nd, Australia 3rd, UK is 8th, Korea is last.

http://www.businessinsider.com/countries-largest-antidepressant-drug-users-2016-2

I don't believe Germany is under the last ones... when I look around me I see every 2. taking an AD or other psycho drug..

I would like to know the real figure..

Here in Scotland there are around 875,000 patients on antidepressants, it will be slightly higher now and it continues to rise.  There is a population of around 6 million, adult population is 5,295,000. 

That is about 146 per 1,000 population or 165 per 1,000 adults.

It really is quite shocking.

I'm sure the real statistics are difficult to find. Some people might be issued a medication, but they don't take it at all or don't take it as directed, or they stop taking it completely yet they don't tell the doctor. Others might be getting multiple prescriptions from various doctors. Still others might get their medications online or on the street, and then they're never part of the statistics. So, I think we should bear that in mind when looking at graphs like these.

Here in Scotland there are around 875,000 patients on antidepressants, it will be slightly higher now and it continues to rise.  There is a population of around 6 million, adult population is 5,295,000. 

That is about 146 per 1,000 population or 165 per 1,000 adults.

It really is quite shocking.

Yes, it is. I got to know the hole psychiatric system here in my country and I am shocked about how people get treated. It makes me so sad.

Well done for writing at all .. you should have seen some of the emails I used to fire off to all and sundry a couple of years ago .. wild rants ... I didn't care .. it made me feel better!!!  And I always hoped someone might just read them.

So keep writing when you can ..  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you Fiona.  I appreciate that.  Yeah, I've sent off my share of rants as well.

I'm sure the real statistics are difficult to find. Some people might be issued a medication, but they don't take it at all or don't take it as directed, or they stop taking it completely yet they don't tell the doctor. Others might be getting multiple prescriptions from various doctors. Still others might get their medications online or on the street, and then they're never part of the statistics. So, I think we should bear that in mind when looking at graphs like these.

Agree Lapis. 

I took one statistics course in university, and ever since then, I've kept in mind that there are many, many variables involved, and that it's important to take a closer look at whatever numbers we're given before we assume that they're correct, true and valid. Think of political polls. Every time there's a poll leading up to an election, they seem to get it wrong -- sometimes, very wrong! I remain skeptical much of the time these days.

When it comes to antidepressants, I believe they're basing the numbers on what has been issued by pharmacies, although I could be wrong. If I've got that right, though, I think those numbers wouldn't necessarily reflect reality. We can use them as an approximation, perhaps. I have no doubt that the numbers are high when it comes to their use here in Canada. I notice that Denmark is near the top of the list, and that's interesting, because in those year-end tallies, Denmark is often considered one of the happiest places to be! I remember asking my friend there about that a number of years ago, and she said, "Yeah, we take those happy pills!" Check it out:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/2016-worlds-happiest-countries/ 

It's interesting to compare to the two lists -- highest AD use and happiest countries.  ;)

I know, I was thinking the same thing too about Denmark and all the other Scandinavian countries ...Statistics, yeah, I don't know much about them, but I agree, it's probably fair to say, Canadians are up there in the numbers.  I was curious about the numbers yesterday, but that was all I could find.  Finding it especially hard to think and squeeze out words today.

I was able to have a re-do of my letter to CBC and CTV (they promoted that Lancet review too  :().  I had the bright idea of sending from spouse's email, written supposedly from him, so was able to get it more to my liking this time, using bits from Fiona's blog and more links.  I've bombarded them.  :P

I've only heard back automated responses, directing  me back to their website. 

Ugh, the dreaded automated reply! Blech. Hate those. I do hope a real human being is actually reading these comments. If there are many on the same topic, perhaps they'll take notice. With the CBC website, it's apparently in the midst of a re-do, so I'm finding it hard to navigate sometimes. I'm not sure if they're opening many things up to comments right now, or if the makeover is interfering with things like that.

By the way, the article is from Reuters, so it's not written by a CBC journalist.

I know, I'm still disappointed in the CBC and CTV for just regurgitating it and then on top of that, not even following up with any opposing viewpoints, especially in light of what came the day after in the UK.  They must know what's since transpired there.  So irresponsible and dangerous.  I sent all the UK links, but right, whether a human being even reads these emails, who knows?  At least Global didn't publish it.

Please keep trying.  We would never have imagined that we would be where we are right now in the UK with our campaign.

I have written another update on what is happening here. 

(1) Letter appeared in The Times saying A/D withdrawal lasted two weeks. Written by two psychiatrists.

(2) Wrote to authors of letter - was sent two research papers of short term studies, published in 2006 & 2007.

(3) Leaflet on antidepressant withdrawal has now been pulled off Royal College of Psychiatrists website

(4) Author of Lancet paper is offering to liaise with some of his critics on Twitter.  He didn't include me though.

(4) I have written to The Times in response to letter in (1) above.

https://nevertrustadoctor.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/letter-to-times-by-prof-david-baldwin-and-dr-wendy-burn-rcpsych/

We are having a great time on Twitter ... making fun of Royal College of Psychiatrists ..

We have  a copy of the leaflet they just pulled so have put it on Twitter.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:D :D :D :D :D

:D :D :D

I had a look at those studies and your blog.  The truth is undeniable.  Keep up the good work!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Do you think RCPsych pulled the leaflet on AD withdrawal because they realized it's inadequate? 

They have pulled the leaflet because it clearly showed that they were lying in the letter to the Times ..

Quote from leaflet ...

What is withdrawal like?

People in our survey reported that the symptoms generally lasted for up to 6 weeks. A small percentage of symptoms lasted longer than this. A quarter of our group reported anxiety lasting more than 12 weeks.

I have written some more in my blog in response to an article in the BMJ.  They may not publish what I have written so I put it in my blog and tweet it to the journal.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow.  What a bunch of liars.  Then to just take it down, like it was never said this in the first place. >:( I'm glad someone had the foresight to keep a copy before it disappeared. 

Yes, we had real fun on Twitter with them ..  :D :D :D

In a way this is all going in our favour because we can show them up .. no one else is following their every move, only us!!!

They will be scared to make a move soon.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fiona,

Thank you for engaging with RCP et al so directly, publicly and effectively!  :thumbsup:

Is there a link to the twitter discussion?  It's probably in full view somewhere obvious but I plead CogFog  :-[

We, here in the US, must draw inspiration from your successful efforts to bring SSRI and Benzo Prescribed Dependence and WD to the level of public government inquiry. 

Regards,

StarGrass