Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anti depressants..??? Help

[Sh...]

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right section but I need to know if anyone had success with ADs or any other meds during w/d?? I am getting severely depressed and suicidal.. I am always so very confused like walking in circles confused.. I jus can't sit still the anxiety is that bad along with the d/r.. I'm sick and cAnt taper anymore like this.. I cry out of no where all the time.. I'm depressed and think I will have to go to the hospital real soon to be monitored and helped.. I am always constantly paranoid and never thought this would happen at all.. Down to 3 mgs Valium from 25 in 2 1/2 yrs.. Very slow taper so don't understand why I'm feeling so bad.. Today went to my sons football game n felt so out of it couldn't concentrate at all... I thought about taking my life all day.. I'm scared of my own shadow and would never think about taking another med until now I know I Won't be able to go any further with out some thing to help.. If I go to a hospital what can I suggest to them to help me? This is getting out of control...! I have been tapering for a long time and know what I'm talking about ... Any help will be greatly appreciated..

Are you able to stabilize on a higher dose to keep the side effects at bay? How has the taper been along the way? If this is new then I would think about raising back up to eliminate those thoughts and you can try again at a later time, but if it's been difficult through the entire taper you need to do whatever you think is best for you..

My doc tried to prescribe me an a/d (imipramine?) after my detox and I was too scared to take it, but I'm suffering from alot of depression and have certainly had suicidal "thoughts" throughout this process. It's hard for the thought not to enter your mind when you're enduring physical and mental torture from these benzos..

Whatever you decide we are here to support you...  If you go to a hospital it's hard to say what they might suggest. They might try to detox you, or prescribe an antipsychotic or a/d. But if you think you're not safe or a danger to yourself than you should at least go talk to them..

Jeff M.

Hi Shan,

I hope you'll seriously consider going to see your Dr, or even to the ER.  While we do our best to comfort and support folks during this horrible time, we're limited in what we can do.  We understand how dark things are for you right now, so please reach out to your family, your medical professional or any of the resources available to you in your town.  If you don't know any, we have some information here you can use. http://www.benzobuddies.org/resources/suicide-self-harm

Please find some help, we'll be here when you feel a little better about your situation.

Pam

how are you doing today? pls keep us informed.. there are plenty of options out there.. and like mentioned before if you do need to updose to help with the thoughts there is no shame in that.. it would obviously be better than the alternative..

take care and remember this is not forever

Hello

Please do take Pam's advise and consult with your Doctor.

Maybe your slow taper has been so long and slow that Valium has become toxic to your body?

Depression is a common side effect of Vaium.

Would you begin to feel better if you were to make a few more cuts, jump and become Benzo Free?

Hope you feel better soon.

Teakettle

Hi shan,

I see your taper has been very slow. I have seen many on this board get WD symptoms, even on a slow taper. I hope your feeling better by now and this is only a wave that will fade out quickly.

Shan, if you decide to take the AD route please be make sure that your doctor explains ALL the potential side effects of them,  ask him if it has  "black box" warnings.  I took an AD for 3 doses after I CTd, an I can tell you it was terrifying, more so than the CT itself!  If you are alone most of the time, I would be very very wary of taking an SSRI AD.  Your doctor should explain why,  mine didn't.

Shan  :therethere:

I was in a very dark place before I ever started tapering so went on an A/D (Wellbutrin).  Some people say it makes them feel more agitated but it helped my mood a lot.  It did take a couple of weeks before I felt any improvement, though.  Please get help for these dark thoughts. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and it is temporary.  Your family needs you here and would never fully recover if you decided to act on those thoughts.  I had a suicide in my family so I'm speaking from experience.  :'(

Hi Shan,

I also had rather awful and sometimes debilitating depression that developed midway thru my taper off valium.  I was terrified of taking a anti depressant but felt that I would not be able to finish my taper unless I took one.  I researched alot of them and with the help of my doctor decided on Welbutrin as it had the least amount of side affects.  It took about a total of 6 weeks before it started to work, but during those 6 weeks , my anxiety also increased due to the welbutrin but also went away after my body became used to it. I must say that it worked well for me, but there were some points in my taper and also post taper that the depression would hit for short periods along with the awful thoughts.  These thoughts are only there because of the withdrawl.  They will go away.  Ashton does say that anti depressants do work with benzo withdrawl, but we have to be super careful because we have such sensitive systems right now.  Definately go see a doctor and discuss your options and hoping that you feel better soon.            Ginia

For me, ADs made things far, far worse.  Caused chronic insomnia that is still plaguing me 18 months after taking them.

I would not recommend them.

I knew I would get mixed responds on this thread and its confusing me.. I won't be able to see my dr it's a clinic and he's only there once a week so I would have to end up goin to a hospital and there I would end up on a pshych ward and scared they will damage me more.. But if I tell them I don't want benzos and be specific why will they listen? I have become bad that I think I'm developing pshychosis.. If I don't already have it.. I fear being alone... Very paranoid... Something went wrong n I'm hoping n praying the hospital can help because I need to be monitored when giving meds..

[9c...]
I have become bad that I think I'm developing pshychosis.. If I don't already have it.. I fear being alone... Very paranoid... Something went wrong n I'm hoping n praying the hospital can help because I need to be monitored when giving meds..

Having been in Psychosis several times and incompetent, not from the Benzo but from my illness.. Psychosis is something that you do not want to fall into.. to me it was worse than withdrawal, and paranoia is part of my psychosis, it don't take much to send me there these days at times. Paranoia is also a w/d sx.

Are you hallucinating?

Hearing things?

I do sometimes.

I hope you get some help.

Keryn.

I think im gettin auditory hallucianations and the d/r is soo bad its like hallucinating in its self.... I cut 7 days ago and im completely out of it... Dont kno how im even typing

I won't be able to see my dr it's a clinic and he's only there once a week so I would have to end up goin to a hospital and there I would end up on a pshych ward and scared they will damage me more..

Is there another doctor at this clinice that you could see today?  I would urge you to call this clinice ASAP and ask to see someone urgently, even if it isn't your regular GP. 

[9c...]

Keryn I know your situation is different but waht exactly puts u in to pshychosis and what helped u out???

I have a Mental Illness, Schizophrenia Spectrum Paranoid type, and I feel it sometimes.

With my Psychosis, I get Auditory stuff like radio or cb waves sounding.. the air becomes a different colour, can't tell if something is real or not.. I sometimes have to ask if it's real.. I get perception disturbances and everything else. I try to understand things too much in depth like the universe and so on.. oh ya in Psychosis I had d/r and d/p..6 months straight once.

What helps me is the Antipsychotics, I have learned a lot about my condition.. over the years and no cure for it in sight.

At my worse I thought I controlled the weather, people are after me.. I still look out windows sometimes over and over again, I can't be in silence.. because it makes me worse.. always has to many levels. I have a stupor or what others call a "Haldol walk" and it's annoying, but I'm learning to cope with it better. w/d don't help it!

I can't really explain all of it.. it's odd and just well a world of what I've understood as "Paranoia".. I don't trust the Government.. I feel as if they are after me.. things like that, most of it is under control, it takes years of treatment and therapy.. it's something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Keryn.

I won't be able to see my dr it's a clinic and he's only there once a week so I would have to end up goin to a hospital and there I would end up on a pshych ward and scared they will damage me more..

Is there another doctor at this clinice that you could see today?  I would urge you to call this clinice ASAP and ask to see someone urgently, even if it isn't your regular GP. 

Hi Shan,

Just checking in to see if you have had a chance to see a doctor yet?

How are you doing?

Yes I posted on my other thread... Detox told me im on too low of a dose of Valium to detox.. Go figure... Then they send me to the pshych doc to be re evaluated n he tells me there's no beds available n sends me home with trazadone n seroquel... I read about these meds n immscared to death to take them but I feel like I'm gettin psychosis what do I do?? Anybody have any good things to say about these meds??

I've taken both of them.  The trazadone helped with sleep for a while though it did give me quite a dull headache the day after.  At the time, it seemed like a good trade off for some sleep.  The Seroquel was prescribed for bipolar disorder which I don't think I even had.  I don't remember much about it so it must not have been too bad. Oh, I did crave food a lot and did gain weight on it.  That I do remember.  Blech.  It is an anti-psychotic so if you are feeling psychotic and your psychiatrist has prescribed it for you, it's certainly a better alternative than suicide. 

Shan I am currently coming off seroquel but was given it my 2nd week into c/t  150mgs currently taking 75mgs, I have had no problems with it apart from it making me tired and hungry, I think it did help with the severe depression at the time and being able to sleep was a blessing, I was told by my pdoc that I would have to have blood test every 6 months to check liver function, but at lower doses was told it should not be a problem, I also read about it and it really scared me but at the time it was the lesser of 2 evils, coming off it now as depression is not as bad though still comes now and then and now I know whats causing it I can deal with it better, at the time I did not know this was all being caused by withdrawal.

It is an anti-psychotic so if you are feeling psychotic and your psychiatrist has prescribed it for you, it's certainly a better alternative than suicide. 

I agree with Beeper, Shan.

Let us know how you are doing if/when you start taking the meds.

Feel better soon, buddie.

Feeling real sluggish n spaced out on trazadone didn't try the seroquel yet.. I don't wanna take none of this crap anymore

I'm sorry to hear that your not feeling too good, Shan.

Have you had a chance to speak with your doctor yet?