Remeron

[Br...]

I sounded off before but I'll reiterate that remeron withdrawal is what started me on the benzos and they didn't even completely mitigate the horrid symptoms of fear, terror, panic, anxiety, insomnia, shakes, parasthesia, and cardiac issues. I'm not sure if the difficult days during this Kloopin taper were me not stabilizing after cuts, or just a mess from the remeron taper still.  I'm much better than in the beginning of all this, but Serotonin receptors take far longer to heal than GABA receptors. Also as BlueSwan pointed out, Remeron also hits many other receptors including Histamine receptors. If you look in my signature- shortly after CT remeron, I took an antihistamine for sleep and nearly died from cardiac issues and was rushed to the ER. I'm now histamine intolerance and can't eat anything aged or with vinegar or yeast or I have a revving of symptoms including adrenaline, surges anxiety, insomnia, and nerve pain. I'm am a young healthy man with no prior health issues who used to run and lift daily and have always eaten clean. Remeron did this to me. Thank God he is healing me. I didn't think I would make it where I am today in the beginning- it was that bad.

If you're on Remeron and it's helping you with your benzo withdrawal, just go really slow when tapering off and I would wait until after the benzo withdrawal. Survivingantidepressants.org is full of people suffering from AD withdrawal including remeron. They  suggest something slower than a benzo taper to get off. Ofcourse, just like with benzos, some people can stay on it forever or just stop taking it and not have issues.

Please understand I'm not trying to scare people on the drug- most people are fine--just be sensible. Those of us in benzo withdrawal already have sensitized nervous systems and brain chemistry so go slow. Also don't take fluctuating doses as that can also sensitize your receptors. Some people like to break off a crumb for sleep but don't realize that each time they do that they are taking a different dose.

I sounded off before but I'll reiterate that remeron withdrawal is what started me on the benzos and they didn't even completely mitigate the horrid symptoms of fear, terror, panic, anxiety, insomnia, shakes, parasthesia, and cardiac issues. I'm not sure if the difficult days during this Kloopin taper were me not stabilizing after cuts, or just a mess from the remeron taper still.  I'm much better than in the beginning of all this, but Serotonin receptors take far longer to heal than GABA receptors. Also as BlueSwan pointed out, Remeron also hits many other receptors including Histamine receptors. If you look in my signature- shortly after CT remeron, I took an antihistamine for sleep and nearly died from cardiac issues and was rushed to the ER. I'm now histamine intolerance and can't eat anything aged or with vinegar or yeast or I have a revving of symptoms including adrenaline, surges anxiety, insomnia, and nerve pain. I'm am a young healthy man with no prior health issues who used to run and lift daily and have always eaten clean. Remeron did this to me. Thank God he is healing me. I didn't think I would make it where I am today in the beginning- it was that bad.

If you're on Remeron and it's helping you with your benzo withdrawal, just go really slow when tapering off and I would wait until after the benzo withdrawal. Survivingantidepressants.org is full of people suffering from AD withdrawal including remeron. They  suggest something slower than a benzo taper to get off. Ofcourse, just like with benzos, some people can stay on it forever or just stop taking it and not have issues.

Please understand I'm not trying to scare people on the drug- most people are fine--just be sensible. Those of us in benzo withdrawal already have sensitized nervous systems and brain chemistry so go slow. Also don't take fluctuating doses as that can also sensitize your receptors. Some people like to break off a crumb for sleep but don't realize that each time they do that they are taking a different dose.

Trustgod, it's unclear from your signature what you took first, klonopin or Remeron. First you mention that you were on K (klonopin?) for 10 years. Then you mention Remeron. Could you please enlighten us?

Trustgod, it's unclear from your signature what you took first, klonopin or Remeron. First you mention that you were on K (klonopin?) for 10 years. Then you mention Remeron. Could you please enlighten us?

Sorry for the confusion. My situation is so unique as I don't know what's going on, but I truly believe that Remeron is the spark that started my issues. I tapered off of K a few years ago with no symptoms because of a very slow taper. In March of 2017 I started taking a low dose of Remeron for sleep. Around September of 2017 I would take a crumb of Klonopin for sleep every couple of nights but I would go weeks without using any. In February of 2018 I was rushed to the ER after taking my nightly Remeron dose. Prior to this, I had been fluctuating my doses of Remeron anywhere between 15 mg and 3.75 mg to find the optimal dose for sleep. I believe this is what made me sensitive. I took the Remeron and within 15 minutes had muscle spasms which grew in intensity to shaking, then my HR shot up to about 130, and just about every other beat was a palpitation. I went to the ER and the doc told me to stop taking Remeron as I had developed an adverse reaction to it. So I just stopped taking it without tapering. I was shaken but OK for two weeks (why I don't think it was Klonopin withdrawal). Then I tried Doxylamine (hits the histamine receptors just like Remeron) and since they are similar in some ways, I think my body thought I was trying to reintroduce Remeron. The same thing happened but worse--I had the worst chest sinking gripping heaviness feeling. They diagnosed me with Super-ventricular Tachycardia, atrial tachycardia, PACS, PVCs, High BP (160/120), and told me I had an adverse reaction now to antihistamines.

From that night on, I had extreme terror, mild akathisia (didn’t seem mild at the time), paresthesia, DP/DR, anxiety, dread, extreme insomnia days and days without sleep in addition to the cardiac issues and muscle jerks. I also developed dysautonomia where my HR would fluctuate and POTS.

The only other things I did both nights I went to the ER was take melatonin, meditate with binaural beats and yoga nidra, and take a probiotic. I also started a beta blocker after the first ER visit.

After the second night, I started a low dose of Klonopin to help with the symptoms, and immediately started tapering down slowly. The cardiac issues have mostly resolved and I even had a long window where I worked out and ran for about 2 months. Very rarely do I have AK, the terror has subsided mostly, although I do have adrenal or cortisol surges during the morning and late afternoon. I am sleeping 5-7 hours a night most nights with an occasional 1-4 hour night. I’ve since developed a dependency to Klonopin and I am probably kindled. When I make a cut the dysautonomia comes back, higher BP, anxiety, insomnia, muscle jerks, and more burning/tingling skin. There are some other symptoms like food and temperature intolerances. When a cut is really bad I have light sensitivity, hyperacusis, rib/gut pain, a sick hot feeling, extreme nervousness, acid caustic sensation in my limbs, panic attacks, and derealization. I have constant tinnitus even on decent days. I also have many windows and waves, even while holding on K, but if I cut too much too fast or hold too long it seems to get worse.

I really don’t know what to make of it all, but to sum it up I think Remeron is the culprit and I am slowly healing from that and am suffering Klonopin withdrawal during my taper.

Just started remeron a couple weeks ago, and it has been helping me with the nasty adrenaline rush that has been waking me up. It has been helping me sleep and eat and stopped the adrenaline rush. I am taking 7.5 mg. But i feel groggy and tired during the day, like living in a fog. My pdoc tells me this is a start up side effect and will go away. Has anyone noticed daytime get better with time? Thinking if I should jump off right now and stop taking remeron before I become dependent on it, or wait and see if the daytime foggyness goes away.

Just my opinion, but your best bet is to not take anything for sleep.  I took mirt too for about 30 days.  All Rx drugs have a dependency and tolerance risk and will eventually stop working.  Not to mention you might have to deal with Mirt withdrawal?  You won't die from lack of sleep.  It might feel like you will but you won't.  You can also develop a "psychological" dependency on anything Rx or natural. If you have to take something, maybe try something natural like CBT oil or Lavela?  Just sayin!

I agree. Totally. We have been taught to think that when we feel something is wrong, we should take some pill for it. This is faulty thinking, designed by manufacturers who want to sell you some drug, whether its OTC or RX. Dont give in to this thinking! That is what got us all into benzo hell, isnt it???

Going to sleep naturally is a SKILL you have to learn and it may take some time to do that. Try not to worry...your brain DOES get enough sleep to keep you alive. But it may not FEEL like that. Have you met anyone here who "almost died" because of lack of sleep? I think not. If they are alive enough to write messages here on BB, lack of sleep did not kill them.

east

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ThEwAy2 and others,

I reduced Remeron 30 mg to 0 in 6 months. I had very poor sleep during the remeron reduction. Fourteen days after I left Remeron, I had several nights without sleep. I was very exhausted. Seven weeks after I dropped Remeron, I had depression, anxiety, panic for the first time, I thought I was dying. This condition scared me and I gave 7.5 mg Remeron.

Two months ago, I began to reduce Remeron again. Now I'm on a dose of 7.0 mg. My problem is that I have very little sleep. Again I am very exhausted. In the evening I will take Remeron and I have a great inner shiver.

I'm scheduled to reduce Remeron for 2 years. I have never been stable in reducing clonopin, I was not stable even when reducing Remeron. I already have tolerance. Insomnia is crazy!

Please, can you tell me your opinion? How do I reduce remeron? Do I ever stabilize myself? What am I supposed to do to have a good sleep?

Thank you.

Margarita

Hi ThEwAy2 and others,

I reduced Remeron 30 mg to 0 in 6 months. I had very poor sleep during the remeron reduction. Fourteen days after I left Remeron, I had several nights without sleep. I was very exhausted. Seven weeks after I dropped Remeron, I had depression, anxiety, panic for the first time, I thought I was dying. This condition scared me and I gave 7.5 mg Remeron.

Two months ago, I began to reduce Remeron again. Now I'm on a dose of 7.0 mg. My problem is that I have very little sleep. Again I am very exhausted. In the evening I will take Remeron and I have a great inner shiver.

I'm scheduled to reduce Remeron for 2 years. I have never been stable in reducing clonopin, I was not stable even when reducing Remeron. I already have tolerance. Insomnia is crazy!

Please, can you tell me your opinion? How do I reduce remeron? Do I ever stabilize myself? What am I supposed to do to have a good sleep?

Thank you.

Margarita

Margarita—head over to survivingantidepressants.com (or org). They are the benzo buddies of antidepressants and can help you out with this. They recommend a very gradual taper even slower than benzos. You will get through this!

From what I have read, don't reduce more than 5% every two weeks.  There really isn't anything you can do about the insomnia...it is going to happen.  Maybe try something natural or OTC.  What worked for me was taking nothing.  It sucked, but I made it through and now sleep pretty well.

Hello TrustGold,

I thank you very much for the answer. I plan Remeron very slowly. Despite that, I have a very bad sleep. I no longer have the energy to fight insomnia. I have a bad sleep for three years, I have a lot of nights without sleep.

M.

From what I have read, don't reduce more than 5% every two weeks.  There really isn't anything you can do about the insomnia...it is going to happen.  Maybe try something natural or OTC.  What worked for me was taking nothing.  It sucked, but I made it through and now sleep pretty well.

Hi ThEwAy2,

I'm sorry for my bad English.

I have insomnia for three years. Insomnia got worse when I started to reduce Klonopin 2016. Since then I have a max. 2 - 3 hours of sleep. I have a lot of nights without sleep. I will reduce Remeron for another 2 years. Will I have a bad sleep for 2 years and maybe even longer? I can not stand it.

Theway, I'm Reading  Your -  800 Days Off - What I Learned From My Insomnia Experience!

It is very instructive. Thank you. So I'm not going to take any sleeping medicine. I have to finish Remeron's reduction. I will believe that my body will survive insomnia!?

Margarita

• 3 weeks later...

Theway, I'm Reading  Your -  800 Days Off - What I Learned From My Insomnia Experience!

It is very instructive. Thank you. So I'm not going to take any sleeping medicine. I have to finish Remeron's reduction. I will believe that my body will survive insomnia!?

Margarita

It's possible that you still have benzo withdrawal symptoms, which are covered by the Remeron. Maybe if you wait another few months to half a year or so, by which time your benzo withdrawal symptoms disappear, you will be able to stop Remeron without any problems.