Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Flexeril - Is it a benz related med?

[Su...]

I occasionally take flexeril for muscle spasms.  It's called a cyclobenzaprine med or some such animal.  I don't like the fact that it has the word benz in it.  Will this effect my dose of valium?

Hi

As far as I know its a pain med, recommended for limited use, 2-3 weeks needs to be tapered and should not be used with MOA inhibitors. Please do a web search for info on this drug.

TC

Bobers

Thanks Bobers,

I have used flexeril on and off for about 10 years for muscle spasms associated with my chronic neck pain.  Usually take it for a day or two and then don't take it for weeks or even a month.  The only real reason I was worried about it is because it's generic name is cyclobenzaprine.  While tapering from valium, I want to make sure that if I take flexeril that I'm not adding to the benz's and that it is not the same type of drug that works on your gaba receptors, etc. 

Lately I've had a lot of pain and want to take a flexeril, but will not touch it if it will in any way affect my tapering of valium.

Hi,

From what I have read after a precursory Net search, it does not affect the GABA receptors. But this might be a good time to call a pharmacist just to find out for sure. Tell them that you're tapering your benzo because you're dependent and you're wondering how Flexeril would affect you in such a situation.

Therese