Starting my xanax taper

[Se...]

Thank you overwatch. Doing better this week cut early couple days ago. Had dr visit today for the smallest Xanax pills .25 this will make splitting them easier. New dose is 1.625 split over four doses. .375; .375; .375; .5. Using .5 pills and .25 pills split.

I have put on weight during this Xanax reduction. It’s hard for me to focus on more than one thing at a time, but I certainly don’t wait to gain any more. Someday I hope I find balance  :)

Wishing all a happy and safe new year.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Se...]

• [Bn...]

• [Ov...]

• [Bi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

You have done an amazing job with your taper.  I personally had the roughest time when I got down to 1mg.  It was rough getting there, but cutting down after I reached 1 mg has been hell.  I cannot cut every week.  I have been at .375mg for about a month now. I work too, and I just cannot cut too fast or I will lose it at work.  So slow and steady wins the race, as they say. 

I did a direct taper from Xanax, as well. Like others have said, hold when you need to. I found myself holding more than the recommended 7-14 days.

Hope things improve quickly for you :)

Thank you overwatch. Doing better this week cut early couple days ago. Had dr visit today for the smallest Xanax pills .25 this will make splitting them easier. New dose is 1.625 split over four doses. .375; .375; .375; .5. Using .5 pills and .25 pills split.

I have put on weight during this Xanax reduction. It’s hard for me to focus on more than one thing at a time, but I certainly don’t wait to gain any more. Someday I hope I find balance  :)

Wishing all a happy and safe new year.

Good deal. Congrats on the progress. I can relate to the lack of focus, or "brain fog", that we all seem to endure during tapering and after jumping. I can be carrying on a conversation with someone, trying to explain something, and this little dialog starts in my mind saying "You're going to forget what the point of what you're trying to explain is", and sure enough I do. I've developed a way to exit the conversation and save face, but it's bad. I recently tried, while really suffering some withdrawal symptoms, to help my 5 year old assemble a self build toy he got for Christmas and nearly lost my sh*t in the process.

I personally ended up losing weight. I didn't feel like eating, or if I did it was junk. My anxiety would flair and my body would just burn calories in response.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted.

Well it’s sunday did  tiny cut. The am dose of half a .5 an half a .25 - cut the .25 in half again. So a .065 cut. So 1.5625 a day. Anxiety is bad, the fog continues. I have to write everything down at work so I don’t forget. I do avoid conversations as well, but I did that long before Xanax due to social anxiety.

This week started really watching what I eat again have to lose some of this gained weight. That’s really hard because food is comfort for me.

Wishing all a good week, trying to stay positive.

I’m glad you’re getting progress!  I’m just at the beginning of this.  My Dr had me on Xanax XR at 4mg and cut me to 3mg a month ago.  He wouldn’t switch me to Valium or Klonopin.  I convinced him to switch me to the regular Xanax two weeks ago.  My question is how are you cutting a such a great rate.  I understand LT isn’t an option for Xanax.  He gave me the .5 mg on a Friday.  He only gave me 2weeks worth.  So I take .75 every 6 hours right now.  I’ve been searching for answers about this and can’t find anything..until you.  I’ve been so  polydrugged that I can’t even make a signature...actually don’t know how anyway.  I was misdiagnosed in 2001 with bipolar...it’s actually PTSD.  Spent the last year coming off of all these other drugs.  I don’t know what to do...I’ve been posting on here with no responses....🤯

I’m glad you’re getting progress!  I’m just at the beginning of this.  My Dr had me on Xanax XR at 4mg and cut me to 3mg a month ago.  He wouldn’t switch me to Valium or Klonopin.  I convinced him to switch me to the regular Xanax two weeks ago.  My question is how are you cutting a such a great rate.  I understand LT isn’t an option for Xanax.  He gave me the .5 mg on a Friday.  He only gave me 2weeks worth.  So I take .75 every 6 hours right now.  I’ve been searching for answers about this and can’t find anything..until you.  I’ve been so  polydrugged that I can’t even make a signature...actually don’t know how anyway.  I was misdiagnosed in 2001 with bipolar...it’s actually PTSD.  Spent the last year coming off of all these other drugs.  I don’t know what to do...I’ve been posting on here with no responses....🤯

You need to have your Doctor write out a taper schedule that is reasonable for your dosage and duration of being on Xanax. I had used XR, in addition to regular Xanax, for a couple of years. I tapered off regular Xanax at a .25mg drop every 6 days. This schedule was prescribed to me by my Doctor after I insisted on getting of Xanax -- which angered him. I've been benzo free for over 30 days and my daily head / neck / body aches, dizziness upon standing, tinnitus, brain fog and anxiety are still rough.

Like you, I've been poly-drugged for the past four years. Looking back at the years prior to these past four years, i can hardly recognize who I was compared to who I am now. The drive, passion, hobbies, active nature, charm and wit that I once had is gone. I cannot even force myself to like the same simple things I once was very, very passionate about. God, what a trap these drugs are.

Seakingpeace1, sounds like you're having an "easier" time with tapering Xanax than my mother is (very bad, so working on crossing over to Valium), if so then good for you :thumbsup:.  About your weight gain, have you considered that it might be because of Zoloft?  I know that Zoloft and Paxil can cause massive weight gain, 20-30 pounds easily.  Just thought I'd ask. 

USMC2532, by "LT" do you mean liquid taper?  If so, I do believe a liquid taper of Xanax is possible and suggest you post a question about it on the "Withdrawal Support (during your taper)" again and again if you have to, to get some input and answers.  And your doctor doesn't seem all that supportive or helpful.  We've had to find a new doctor after going through several uninformed and unhelpful ones :tickedoff:, but I think it's worth it to find a better one for you. 

Overwatch, it angered your doctor that you wanted to get off Xanax?  Amazing, unbelievable, these so-called doctors.  I'm sorry for your suffering and hope things get better each day. 

Overwatch, it angered your doctor that you wanted to get off Xanax?  Amazing, unbelievable, these so-called doctors.  I'm sorry for your suffering and hope things get better each day.

Thank you. And yes, he become angry that I was "striving to ignore his professional advice and medically necessary prescription medication". Not to mention my payment of roughly $100 per 20 mins. The truth of the matter, and thanks to the people of this web forum, is that he truly has no idea how addicting, life damaging and dangerous benzos are. No clue. Early during treatment I would often voice concern as my dose increased that I would have trouble getting off the medication. I cannot count the number of times he'd tell me stories of other patients on higher dose, for longer duration, that simply stopped cold turkey and suffered no ill effects. BS!

Completely agree that it's BS! 

It's bad enough that so many doctors are ignorant about benzos and just can't help patients, but to actively provide inaccurate information, even after you voiced your concerns early on?  This guy does not seem to really have his patients' wellbeing in mind, at all!  It's very good that you're looking out for yourself, Overwatch.  Keep at it, and we're here for you! 

USMC2532 I am just now reading this and hope you are having an easier time figuring out what works. I am fortunate to have my dr working with me, and can cut at my own pace. I have pills in 2 mg, .5 mg and .25 mg. Each week I try to figure out a new way to cut them for a very small reduction. This next week or two I am using the green three score 2mg pills for my first three doses. First break that pill in thirds, easy because it’s already scored. Then I use a pill cutter to very carefully cut those .66 thirds into .33 half’s. It’s not exact, but close enough.

I can’t say this has been easy, but hasn’t been horrible either. Haven’t missed any work as of yet.

Overwatch I am not sure I could have done a .25 every six days. I am going slower and slower as my dose decreases.

Delta1 wish I could blame the weight gain on Zoloft. It’s me, I simply turn to food for comfort. I had lost 125 pounds over the course of about four years, some of that while on Zoloft. The Zoloft may make it more difficult, but it is possible. I have tried really hard the past two weeks and have lost six pounds. I count every calorie and make sure I walk and drink plenty of water. It’s a constant struggle and I feel depressed. Food is one one happy thing. Got to keep plugging along, diet, Xanax reduction...slow and steady right.  One minute and one choice at a time.

Wishing everyone success in your journey. It’s a long one.

Another week gone by, cut my night dose this time. I am at 1.365. I feel reluctant to do each cut but do it anyway. This week had that fullness in the ears thing going on. Not much ringing it’s like ears are stuffed with cotton or something.

My four dry cut doses this week are .33, .33, .33, .375. I achieved the .375 dose by using a .25 pill and a half of a .25 pill. I make my weekly medicine on sundays for the entire week in two twice a day pill planners. No messing up and getting confused if I took a dose or not that way.

Another Sunday, another tiny cut. Cut the night dose again. Now I am at four even doses of .33 each. I got that dose from green 2 mg triple scored pills. First it is split in thirds along the scores. Then I split those in half with a pill cutter. One pill is then turned into six doses.

People write a lot about percentages, I have not figured mine out yet. Brain fog, can’t remember how to do that kind of math. I am just sure to be below 10% total, which is an easy percent to figure out. I have been cutting at a much lower percent I think. Slow and steady.

I really did not want to do another cut this week. I have had anxiety, dizziness, fullness in my head. It was worse the three days after the cut. In my head I have my next months of cuts figured out. It should be easy, just take one dose down to .25 a week. As my total number is going down I know my percentage of cut is going up. Little nervous about being able to keep going.

• 1 month later...

It’s been over a month since I have wrote. I am finally under 1 mg, barely. .9375 to be precise. Still dry cutting, I held at .25 four times a day for a little while - had a lot going on and had a family emergency trip I had to go on. Things should be settling down now, so the decrease continues.

I was surprised at how well I was able to handle the stressors in my life. I flew with almost no anxiety. I spent a lot of time in the hospital with a family member with almost no anxiety. These are both firsts ever for me. I am happy but feel a bit lost, anxiety has ruled the better part of my life. What is this new things that used to cause me such grief and anxiety are not phasing me feeling?  Am I now emotionally numb?  Weird for sure. I am choosing to embace it and look at things with a child like wonderment. See things as interesting, not scary.

As far as side effects this last month, it really hasn’t been bad. I am detached emotionally but I don’t have crippling anxiety. I can deal with the detachment for now. I am having some trouble sleeping, waking during the night. Also joint pain. Occasionally a headache.

I am grateful for how far I have come in the last ten months or so. From 6 mg a day to just under 1 mg a day.

I really don't know how you're doing this so painlessly!  I cut .0625 almost 3 weeks ago and I'm sitting here shaking.  I look at signatures like yours and wonder if I'm ready to do this.  I'm going so slow and  I have a hard time with it.

Kuddos to you!

Another tiny cut today, now at .875. Answering question of what my taper looked like from 6 mg to 4 mg - it was not methodical like I am doing now.  At 6 mg I was dosing 3x a day instead of four. I went from six to five mg and did 1mg in the morning, 1 mg at lunch, 1 mg dinner, 2 mg bed. Stayed on that for awhile then went to 1 mg at each dose.  Those were big cuts for me.  That’s when I found this site and decided to make a real plan of getting off this medication.

It has not been easy but it hasn’t been awful either. Everyone’s experience is different from what I read here. Please don’t be afraid of the horror stories, I think people are more likely to look up and find a site like this if they are having a hard time opposed to going through it with ease. I think I am somewhere in between, and that can change at any time  :).

I felt the last cut for several days. I was tempted to hold for another week. Pushing forward.

So far my cutting has been fairly simple. I want to follow you. You cut .25 until that was to much. What did you do for that next amount. Is that a 1/4 of a quarter?  Can you tell me in dry cutting terms how you got those cuts?  Thanks

Kristin

I started with four score 2 mg bars, so yes .25 were my first cuts. Then my pharmacy changed suppliers and I had 3 score 2 mg bars. I could break into thirds, then cut the thirds in half. My dr then gave me script for .5, that was easier to work with. Now I am workin with .25 pills. I break them in half and then use a pill splitter to cut the half in half. At this point I am cutting .0625 a week. It will be difficult to cut much smaller than that for me accurately so will see how it goes.

Good luck with you reductions this seems like it’s taking forever, it’s been almost a year.  Try to be patient and keep plugging along even if you don’t really feel like it. Even tiny cuts are a little closer to being done with this medication.

So I see up until you got to 3 mgs you cut .25 a week. Is that correct?  Then you switched to .0625 or 1/4 of a quarter?  Or when you were at 3mgs you cut 1/2 of .25?  Sorry. I’m dry cutting Xanax. I want to copy you. I like your steady pace. I had me cutting .25 until 2.5mgs though. Sadly. I was hoping you would comment today. So what will you jump from?  Thanks so much.

Kristin

• 2 weeks later...

Still tapering at a slow and steady rate. Currently cutting a quarter of a .25 pill a week. Symptoms are fairly minor, some trouble sleep, ears ringing, head stuffiness. Sometimes fuzzy thinking and feel somewhat disassociated.  Able to work without much problems.

This has been a long process, over a year now!  Hard to believe I am still tapering.

Seakingpeace. Great job. I’m still following your taper. So far I’m down to 4.5mgs and cutting weekly in just viewed your taper again. I know you are at the last and likely most painful stage. I have two questions. How did you cut after you went down to 3mgs?  Seems like you did a strange number. I have every size pills. Also. What dose will you jump from?  Have you discussed with your doc?  I would imagine it’s safe to jump after you cut down to a quarter of a quarter?

Thanks so much. Keep going. You are rocking this taper.

Kristin

Hi everyone!  I’m doing an LT with my Xanax.  I’m down to 1.4mg.  I started dosing 5x a day.  So my doses are only about 2.8ml of liquid...not a lot.  How do you guys dose when there’s so little to take?  Does the amount of times you dose decrease?  I’m getting really nervous. 

Hi everyone!  I’m doing an LT with my Xanax.  I’m down to 1.4mg.  I started dosing 5x a day.  So my doses are only about 2.8ml of liquid...not a lot.  How do you guys dose when there’s so little to take?  Does the amount of times you dose decrease?  I’m getting really nervous.

Hi UC,

I dose part of my dose in liquid and have made a concentration that is less concentrated than what was suggested to me.  That way I can measure pretty accurately to .0005mg of a dose.

My concentration has .5mg of Xanax per 100ml of liquid.

Hope this helps.

SS