London University survey on dependence and withdrawal - open to all countries.

[lo...]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [lo...]

• [be...]

• [In...]

• [Ca...]

Thank-you for telling us about this Fiona and I'm glad they extended the deadline.  Completed the survey today and hope the survey results will help make a difference!!  :thumbsup:

I'm wondering why so many more from US than U.K.

Population size between the 2 countries maybe?

Still, as Fiona says, "a drop in the ocean compared to online communities support groups" no matter what country or size we're talking about.

The US has a much bigger problem with prescription drugs than the UK and of course it is a much bigger country.  Still, it would be good to get more UK responses for the purposes of getting service provision in the UK.  However, the problems these drugs cause are the same wherever we live so hopefully the survey will be very useful to highlight these problems.

Thanks for taking part.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: 

I'd think that people here would see this and do it. It's not hard at all to fill out.

I do realize that many members listed are no longer active and have moved on.

But people who are off and still here helping others ought to give this a shot if they haven't already.

I'd think that people here would see this and do it. It's not hard at all to fill out.

I do realize that many members listed are no longer active and have moved on.

But people who are off and still here helping others ought to give this a shot if they haven't already.

i dont think everyone notices the info link in the top right of the page. I didnt notice it till today i dont usually look up there. I think if it was posted in all the sections everyone would fill out the survey

thanks, Remy.  I did that initially and the moderators moved the links to Chewing the Fat.  Then I asked them to provide the link at the top of the page. 

I agree that people may not look at the top of the page.

Fiona  >:( >:(

Fiona,

Adjusting for population size, why do you think the US has a bigger problem than the U.K.?

I've read so many stories of a benzo problem in UK also.

And of course Scotland (still part of U.K. as far as I know; some US political sites indicate that Scotland wants to remain in European Union-no Brexit for Scotland essentially).

And problems with benzos in Northern Ireland. Not sure about Wales, but both still in UK.

So why does US have a bigger problem in your opinion?

Remy,

I would never known it myself either because although I'm still a member, my logging in is irregular.

And I mean "super irregular." But glad I caught this.

I too would like service provision, but here in the US. So far its detox/rehab if someone wants off.

Lumped in with substance abusers like alcohol, meth, heroin, opioids.

It's definitely possible to abuse benzos, but still detox/rehab is not the correct way to get off of them.

Wow! I'm so frustrated with all of this!

Which link do I "Accidently" post on my favourite BB places again..?? :)

Seriously, how about we all just mention the link admin placed at the top right of the Home page...

But time must be about up anyway... Here there are about 8 hrs left on 26/8/17..

Anyways, great stuff Fiona and Everyone...

:)

Fiona,

Adjusting for population size, why do you think the US has a bigger problem than the U.K.?

I've read so many stories of a benzo problem in UK also.

And of course Scotland (still part of U.K. as far as I know; some US political sites indicate that Scotland wants to remain in European Union-no Brexit for Scotland essentially).

And problems with benzos in Northern Ireland. Not sure about Wales, but both still in UK.

So why does US have a bigger problem in your opinion?

I am not really well enough informed to give any answers to this.  I cannot read and so cannot inform myself as I would like to.  I only know that the US has a bigger problem with prescribed drugs in general and certainly with benzodiazepines.  I assume it is because the drug companies are less well regulated, there is advertising of drugs etc.  Different health care systems - private vs state-funded. The prescribing rates in England and Scotland for benzos have fallen by about 50% over the past few decades, the dangers are well known here.  The benzo problem in Scotland which is regularly in the media is among drug addicts, not as prescribed.  I am not sure about the stats for Wales and Northern Ireland for prescribed benzos or other drugs of dependence.  Antidepressant prescribing has increased dramatically here in the UK and that is now the major issue plus opioid painkillers I believe is now a big problem. However, the adverse effects of antidepressants are still down-played by the medical profession. Sorry, I seem to be rambling a bit here but I only have little bits of information, nothing comprehensive.

Fiona  :thumbsup:

Seriously, how about we all just mention the link admin placed at the top right of the Home page...

But time must be about up anyway... Here there are about 8 hrs left on 26/8/17..

Only 8 hours?  Is that right? 

Open until 5.00 pm 28th August, British Summer Time.

Only 8 hours?  Is that right? 

Open until 5.00 pm 28th August, British Summer Time.

My Bad... Thought it was to end of thr 26th... (yesterday)

Hi lookingforward,

I think it is not needed to say but anyway it would be great if you can share the results of the survey here when they will be available so all of us do not need to google/monitor what will be the outcome of the survey.

Really great that you initiated the response campaign here in BB. :-)

• 11 months later...