How do you stop or disengage the constant negative/anxious thoughts?

[Li...]

I understand that this is just anxiety/depression most likely caused by withdrawal, but you would think that I would have found a way to stop fretting over it after 2 months now. It feels like the only thing I can possibly do is distract myself with heavy work or computer use. As soon as I am just idle or talking to people, I have a stream of constant negative/anxious thoughts that fixate on how I feel, what's wrong, and terrifying existential stuff about why people are the way they are, why I think or feel a certain way, etc. It just doesn't seem to stop and I can't seem to clear my mind and just live, without all of these damn thoughts. It's driving me crazy and I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. There has to be a way to become unafraid of the thoughts or stop them from coming. I don't know how much more acceptance I could possibly attain, this is a nightmare.

[b1...]

Those constant negative thoughts are like a 2-year-old screaming for attention.  Pay attention to the screaming, and it will: 1) disturb your peace; and 2) encourage the 2-year-old to continue screaming to get your attention.

The kid is going to scream.  Your job is to ignore him/her.  Don't even acknowledge the kid's existence (even if they start screaming very loudly).  Concentrate on other things instead.  Do this well, and you'll: 1) maintain a more peaceful existence; and 2) train the kid to stop screaming.

It takes time, and the kid will throw vicious tantrums to try to get your attention back. 

Those constant negative thoughts are like a 2-year-old screaming for attention.  Pay attention to the screaming, and it will: 1) disturb your peace; and 2) encourage the 2-year-old to continue screaming to get your attention.

The kid is going to scream.  Your job is to ignore him/her.  Don't even acknowledge the kid's existence (even if they start screaming very loudly).  Concentrate on other things instead.  Do this well, and you'll: 1) maintain a more peaceful existence; and 2) train the kid to stop screaming.

It takes time, and the kid will throw vicious tantrums to try to get your attention back.

It's proving to be the bane of my existence. I seem to be able to confront my thoughts as just that, which tends to make them appear less intense and frequently, but I can only seem to manage to do this for a few days. It especially helps if I'm really engaged with something for a few days.. But it inevitably always returns and I just can't seem to get a damn handle on it. It's driving me mad. Is this just something that happens during withdrawal and will eventually be really easy to navigate and control? Or am I just losing a battle against strange anxiety?

I'm having the EXACT same thing! I know exactly how you feel. It will make you feel like your loosing your mind.

It really does. Some days are easier, but it's always present. A peaceful mind just doesn't seem to be something that I can attain anymore. Even back before the Benzo's, I would have anxiety about this and that, but it would just kind of float away and I would get distracted by something else and live life normally. Even if it returned, it didn't last all day, everyday.

Like I said, same thing here. I wake up with them really bad, can't cut them off. If I get stressed out, it is 100 times worse. I had a Hep c treatment back the first of the year, that's why I went back on benzos. It about drove me crazy. The side effects were like having bad withdrawels. Now I'm dealing with the aftermath of that and stopping benzos. Can't find any doctors that want to help or find out what's going on. I may really be stuck like this. At least you have a chance to get right with it being from the benzos. You will get better. I'm having headaches so bad I can barely function. Hope everything gets better for you.

My experience: you cant stop it. With time it fades away. Your existential stuff will be nothing when your brain is working normally.

Just keep speaking with persons and go to places with people even alone.

Im almost 12 months and everything is almost gone. And I relate with all you said and even worst. I had morbid thoughts and hallucinations.

you will get nothing from these thoughts. Even you answer them, them will keep coming. They are the result of your brain work with some parts off and is not synchronized. In a normal state these thoughts dont come. So try ignore them and try to the the same as you should do in a normal state.

I understand that this is just anxiety/depression most likely caused by withdrawal, but you would think that I would have found a way to stop fretting over it after 2 months now. It feels like the only thing I can possibly do is distract myself with heavy work or computer use. As soon as I am just idle or talking to people, I have a stream of constant negative/anxious thoughts that fixate on how I feel, what's wrong, and terrifying existential stuff about why people are the way they are, why I think or feel a certain way, etc. It just doesn't seem to stop and I can't seem to clear my mind and just live, without all of these damn thoughts. It's driving me crazy and I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this. There has to be a way to become unafraid of the thoughts or stop them from coming. I don't know how much more acceptance I could possibly attain, this is a nightmare.

The best strategy I developed whenever this happens to me, is:

Telling the voice in me "yes! And we will die immediately!"

I don't know how to translate what I mean correctly, its a sentence that means literally "yes, I know catastrophes will happen soon and we are all going to die" in a sarcastic way, you know. Sometimes my inner me gets anxious and hysterical about stuff and I just cannot stop me. The only way for me is, to tell myself in a sarcastic and "kind of bored out" - way "YES! I KNOW! I am going to die! You mentioned that before. Its boring".

I hope its understandable what i mean:-)

The best strategy I developed whenever this happens to me, is:

Telling the voice in me "yes! And we will die immediately!"

I don't know how to translate what I mean correctly, its a sentence that means literally "yes, I know catastrophes will happen soon and we are all going to die" in a sarcastic way, you know. Sometimes my inner me gets anxious and hysterical about stuff and I just cannot stop me. The only way for me is, to tell myself in a sarcastic and "kind of bored out" - way "YES! I KNOW! I am going to die! You mentioned that before. Its boring".

I hope its understandable what i mean:-)

I do it also! I forgot to say it.

In a sacartic way.

Transform your anxiety in sarcastic dialogs and it will go away with time.

[b1...]

Actually, if you're able to hold these thoughts at bay for days at a time, I'd say that you're doing pretty well.  Withdrawal can be challenging, so expect and accept the challenges.  A so-called 'wave' isn't a sign of failure.  It's just a wave.  It doesn't mean anything.  It will pass.  As time goes on, there will be fewer waves, but when they happen they can be just as intense as any you've ever had.  It may feel like you're back at square one.  You're not (back at square one).  It's not even a set-back.  It's just life challenging you (again), and you'll get through it like you have hundreds of times before. 

You're only 2.5 months into a c/t.  Again, I think you're doing pretty well, but it's probably going to be a while longer for you to feel fully healed.  Keep staying busy.  Think positive, compassionate, empowering thoughts whoever you can. 

I just wanted to thank everyone for the solid advice. I have no idea what I would do without the support of this forum. I feel for those of us that are going through this, but have no idea it is the Benzo's doing it to them. I can't imagine surviving through that, I think I would go mad. But you guys are amazing and brought me a lot of peace, I'm going to hang in there and keep pushing forward, for as long as this takes.

This is going to sound lame but video games helped me a ton - specifically Nintendo 3DS. I know I'm a nerd! Aside from that, meditation and long books that you can really get into. It really helped to divert my attention when I was going through the worst of it.

This is going to sound lame but video games helped me a ton - specifically Nintendo 3DS. I know I'm a nerd! Aside from that, meditation and long books that you can really get into. It really helped to divert my attention when I was going through the worst of it.

totally agree. I played "ratchet and clank" all day for years. Its a good way to distract and learn to concentrate. why not?

Meditation is not really the first thing I would do against anxious thoughts. When I am hysterical in the inner, I need to do something in the outside - and vice versa.. :thumbsup:

totally agree. I played "ratchet and clank" all day for years. Its a good way to distract and learn to concentrate. why not?

Meditation is not really the first thing I would do against anxious thoughts. When I am hysterical in the inner, I need to do something in the outside - and vice versa.. :thumbs:

I also found it helpful to "name" the problem. Sometimes I start spiraling because a certain topic gets into my mind. Then it seems to me that I only need to tell my inner self "whats wrong?" and "note" the answer down. For example. Tomorrow I have an important CT check. Last night spiraling started and I wondered why. I got thoughts about any fear I ever had and felt very lost. So I asked "whats wrong" and got back "I have fear because of the appointment". I was a little bit surprised but said "well, ok, i note it down" and developed a feeling of love and understanding. But after that, I went for a walk to distract myself. It worked.

The trick is not to push all feelings away. Notice them, say hello, and then do other things.

Its the phenomena of having both side by side. You can be anxious AND happy and the same time. Its not black or white. Its more jumping from black to white and creating grey while doing it. Oh dear, i am philosophic...

Hope, this gonna be a better day for me and for you, of course :smitten:

Fight or flight. Think of your brain as a squid. When a squid chooses to fight or flight they disperse a large cloud of ink as a defense mechanism. You're brain is doing the same thing when your anxiety or panic kicks in. The difference is the squid is intentionally releasing a toxin but you're brain is releasing endorphins which creates a number of psychological effects. Understanding what is happening during these times of panic will help you control them, shorten the length of onset and eventually the frequency as your brain heals.

I've unfortunately been plagued by panic from a very early age. Hundreds of panic attacks throughout my life has helped me understand and control them. Clonazepam helps too but I can do it without the tranqualizer gun and I'm ready to make the jump.

Same thing is happening when you're in an accident, an altercation, anything intense. The difference is you know what's happening and you know why you're heart is jumping out of your chest. During an anxiety or panic attack (especially when it's non manifested) you don't know what the hell is going on. Hopefully you can get to a point that as soon as you feel the onset of the symptoms you can tell yourself I know what's happening in my brain and I can control this. This will pass. I'm okay. Nothing bad is going to happen. Breath and then...Ahhh that's better.

• 2 weeks later...
What really helps me a lot when I have annoying thoughts is to write them all down on paper, it is a very simple thing to do, but when they are on paper they are not in my mind any more. I use a dummy (book with empty pages) for it.  I do this each day in the evening. It is almost magic how good this works (at least for me)  :thumbsup:

In case of negative/anxious thoughts I found it helpful to read Ashton Manual once again as a whole. It well describes all the mental and physical symptoms and I always found out by reading it that all this is typical during withdrawal phase including recovery period and got relief.

• 2 weeks later...
[b1...]

I just got back from my vacation.  I got to see the eclipse, but for the week before that I was bicycling in the pacific northwest (~500km).  One thing that I noticed during the biking was that my bike tended to go where I put my concentration.  If I put my concentration on a piece of glass in the roadway, I'd almost always end up riding very near to that piece of glass.  However, if I concentrated on a spot a foot to the right or left of the piece of glass, I'd pass the hazard easily.

I think it's much the same with the constant negative/anxious thoughts.  If you're nervous about some upcoming event and put your concentration on it, you're going to be nervous.  If you instead put your concentration on a safe haven (the way around) instead of on the problem, I think you set yourself up to get thru the task much easier. 

I still had to ride the bike, but my focus was a bit different and it made the ride just a wee bit easier (and no blowouts).  You may still need to deal with that obnoxious in-law, but if you put your concentration on the positive instead of focusing on the negative, I think you'll accomplish what you need to accomplish with less anguish.

I just got back from my vacation.  I got to see the eclipse, but for the week before that I was bicycling in the pacific northwest (~500km).  One thing that I noticed during the biking was that my bike tended to go where I put my concentration.  If I put my concentration on a piece of glass in the roadway, I'd almost always end up riding very near to that piece of glass.  However, if I concentrated on a spot a foot to the right or left of the piece of glass, I'd pass the hazard easily.

I think it's much the same with the constant negative/anxious thoughts.  If you're nervous about some upcoming event and put your concentration on it, you're going to be nervous.  If you instead put your concentration on a safe haven (the way around) instead of on the problem, I think you set yourself up to get thru the task much easier. 

I still had to ride the bike, but my focus was a bit different and it made the ride just a wee bit easier (and no blowouts).  You may still need to deal with that obnoxious in-law, but if you put your concentration on the positive instead of focusing on the negative, I think you'll accomplish what you need to accomplish with less anguish.

thats a really nice picture in my head now... I am happy for you that you had that nice trip!

I totally agree - but its not easy at all.

At the moment I am very anxious about my rehab (not for wd, its orthopedic) that will start next week, and 1001 thoughts are running through my mind all the time... - very often I realize that the spiraling stops when people talk to me suddenly or when I receive visits - sometimes they take me out of my thinking and after some minutes I think "hm - why do I feel better right now?" Its because the focus is different. The pain is still there, its impossible that my fractures are healed now. The fear is still there, too. depression as well.. and this is really surprising again and again!

I think the most powerful instrument is exactly what you described in your post - to focus on other things.