Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Tolerance Withdrawal

[Md...]

How do you know when you hit tolerance withdrawal? I have been tapering from Valium for a few months, but whenever I have symptom of anxiety or agitation, I worry that I have hit tolerance withdrawal, but then I usually hold for a little, then I seem to return to some baseline.

So I was wondering, how do you know when you've hit tolerance withdrawal? Does it happen gradually or does it just happen all at once? Is it one of those things that when you know, you know, because the withdrawal symptoms are so severe? 

I'm honestly kinda confused by it. 

[Bu...]

Hi @[Md...],

My understanding is that when you hit tolerance withdrawal you no longer have any benefits from the med.  If you are still having some after you hold (assume you mean after a cut?) then it seems like the effects you're feeling are from the cut not tolerance.  I think anyway, sometimes this is all very confusing. 🤪

• Like 1

[Md...]
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @[Md...],

My understanding is that when you hit tolerance withdrawal you no longer have any benefits from the med.  If you are still having some after you hold (assume you mean after a cut?) then it seems like the effects you're feeling are from the cut not tolerance.  I think anyway, sometimes this is all very confusing. 🤪

Confusing indeed. Makes me wonder if anyone truly knows.

Edited by [Md...]
  • Like 1

[WU...]
15 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Makes me wonder if anyone truly knows

I seriously doubt anyone knows.

• Like 2

[Md...]
6 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

I seriously doubt anyone knows.

The benzo info coalition, benzo coaches, and psychiatrists sure act like they know, yet here we are. 

I think the only thing we do know is to not quit cold turkey, and to "listen to our bodies", whatever that even truly means. 

I think it's just a lot of guess work and speculation. 

• Like 1

[PE...]

Yes it seems like the term is open for interpretation. 

And yet another thing to be worried about :balloon:

Remember being worried and afraid is the most common withdrawal symptom.

Take care.

• Like 1

[WU...]
26 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I think the only thing we do know is to not quit cold turkey, and to "listen to our bodies"

Oh dear, I listened to my body and quit cold turkey!  I felt so awful taking the drug at any amount. Its been horrible ever since but I think its horrible even if we taper, no way round it. 

• Like 1

[Md...]
1 hour ago, [[W...] said:

Oh dear, I listened to my body and quit cold turkey!  I felt so awful taking the drug at any amount. Its been horrible ever since but I think its horrible even if we taper, no way round it. 

Sorry to hear that. But you are correct. There is no way around it, only through it.

• Like 1

[Ko...]

@[Md...]I can tell you that when I was on .5 klonopin once at bedtime last year that I experienced tolerance withdrawal after being on it for only 3 months- out of the blue I started getting waves of dizziness with fatigue, tinnitus, and skin burning and then my mood got really low. I think that term means that you develop withdrawal symptoms on your usual dosage before starting tapering.